Balcony.....Is it Worth it?

twinss

If you have the money I would say go for it. On the other hand, we are always literally putting change together to pay for our cruises (even had a yard sale last month!). So for us, the difference is going on a cruise or not. So that's why we do inside. Would I like to try a balcony, hell yes. But we are definitely excursion type people - we get really busy on the islands. So for us it is a choice of balcony or excursions and we chose excursions. Maybe some day we won't have to make a choice.

I will never have anything but a balcony. When we booked our cruise to Europe last June we booked a outside but only because the price was $900.00 more for a balcony and I just could not see spending money like that. But they price went down to only $200.00 dollars this spring and since our cruise was paid in full I upgraded to a balcony. To go to Europe and not have a balcony and take those glorious pictures would be something I could not do.

We are planning our third cruise. We didnt have a balcony on our first two cruises and are considering a balcony for our next. We liked the inner cabins because they were very dark (great for sleeping) and it suited our needs as we werent in the room very much anyway (out of the room from 8am - 1am usually). However, your own private balcony sure does sound nice and DH could smoke his cigars out there. Is a balcony worth the extra money or should I just apply that money to my bar tab!! Thanks!

I'm glad you decided on the balcony, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! May I add, and I don't want to start an argument, but with the cigar, and you may already be aware and are kind to your neighbors, they have to "enjoy" the cigar too. Have a wonderful cruise!

Our PVP talked us into a cat. 11 balcony suite for our first cruise, and we were hooked on balconies from the beginning. (Smart PVP!) Every time we return to the room, we head directly to the balcony, just to hang out and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of the sea. We love our balcony! We'll have our first aft wrap balcony on our next Conquest cruise....just a week away! :D

However, I should add that I have cruised with a friend once in an OV (ocean view) cabin, and it was nice enough. If the choice was OV or no cruise, I'd choose the OV. I don't think I would like an interior room. But I'll take a balcony any time I can afford it!

Wait, let me back up a step here.... We had a cat. 11 balcony on the Fantasy once. Those cabins are in the forward section and up high, meaning you feel a lot of movement up there. If I ever cruise another Fantasy class ship again (which is doubtful!), I will go with a midship OV. :o

I think if you are a couple, married or not, I would sure get a balcony. If you are travelling with a friend, and dont want alone time, a balcony is somewhat wasted. I travel with my sister who doesnt like sitting out in the wind, she wouldnt just go out on the promenade and stand at the rail with me, just refuses and I need to stay with her. I also read in the cabin, so at night I couldnt read out on the balcony, not enough light. We people watch. In fact on Voyager next time Im going to try to get a PR cabin, that looks to the inside, we did OV last time and we want next time to see down to where the people are, even though its a smaller cabin.

We had cruised 8 times in an OV, did not see what all the fuss was about a balcony. Then dear Carnival upgraded us from a OV guarantee to a 8C balcony on deck 9. That was it, have never cruised without a balcony after that. Now in December I decided to try a aft wrap on Princess, oh my, now it has to be aft for us. Sailing in September on the Glory in an aft, will not be a corner wrap like Princess but cannot justify the price of a CAT9 on Carnival for the same thing as a regular balcony cabin on Princess.

We are planning our third cruise. We didnt have a balcony on our first two cruises and are considering a balcony for our next. We liked the inner cabins because they were very dark (great for sleeping) and it suited our needs as we werent in the room very much anyway (out of the room from 8am - 1am usually). However, your own private balcony sure does sound nice and DH could smoke his cigars out there. Is a balcony worth the extra money or should I just apply that money to my bar tab!! Thanks!

We got a balcony for the first time on the Legend and we're hooked! I would definitely move to an inside if that meant the difference between going or not going, but in most cases if you're flexible you can find some pretty good bargains with a balcony. For me, the peace & quiet after spending all day surrounded by crowds was wonderful. We loved hanging out there and watching the stars for awhile before heading off to bed.

I have had both and truly don't care either way. to me it comes down to how you cruise. The times I have had a balcony I tended to stay in my cabin and enjoy the room alot more, with the inside not so much. The only problem is I felt it detracted from my enjoyment of the actual ship. When I have an inside cabin I hardly do anything but sleep in the cabin which gets me out there to fully enjoy the ship. So going forward my plan is book an inside the first time I am on a certain class of ship so that I don't short myself on all the ship has to offer. Future sailings on that class of ship I will book a balcony, unless my first sailing tells me that I have no reason to want to be in my room.

Also keep in mind this is coming from somone who likes to party A LOT! So I would ratherr spend the extra cash on drinks, but if you are looking for quiet time definately go with the balcony.

I would save my money elsewhere( no resturants for a while,ect...) to get a balcony. Its the only place I was ever alone outside on the ship, and I needed that sometimes. Grab your bathrobe and lay back in the chair at night and listen to the waves.....ahh..... wish I was there!:D

My wife and I actually prefer the inside rooms. The first cruise we had was OV, the second was balcony. While I understand how nice it was, we had a horrible experience.

A family was split up on both sides of our room. During the cruise they would yell to one another across the balcony. They smoked like chimneys, and that moment of looking out across the ocean at night was shattered, as they left their outside lights on all night. Did I mention how the children would veer over the dividers to talk to one another?

Needless to say it was not a great experience. However having insides and knowing how to get to the little known area at the front of the ship and being near the lido deck has been a great experience.

I may take another balcony some day, but I really don't feel they are worth it, unless maybe they are only 50 dollars more.

As you can see, you are getting a lot of different opionions here. For me, it depends on the cost. I have done balcony, OV, and inside. I would choose inside over OV, but if the price was right then I would choose a balcony. I love cruising regardless. My cabin choice has never ruined any of my cruises.

CharlesV: you are getting married in a few hours...what are you doing posting here!? :eek: Have fun on the honeymoon cruise!

I will be going on my first cruise in November...on the Glory...we have a balcony room booked...my brother and SIL also won't cruise any other way since they had their first balcony cruise

For me, it is absolutely worth it. We always take our own snorkle gear and it's the perfect place to put it when it's wet. The bathroom really isn't large enough and I don't want to get the carpet wet in the room. It's also wonderful to be able to sit and read a book or even take a little nap in the sea air. DH is a TV freak and likes to watch it late at night. I hate the TV and will sit out on the balcony until he turns it off. It's very peaceful out there in the late evenings, after dinner and the show, etc. I also love sitting out there early in the morning, drinking my coffee.

Archived