charges for credit cards in europe

You should probably call your bank on that one...I'm sure the charges/fees vary. We belong to a credit union and have used our Visa debit card in Mexico and the UK without any problem or fees. (But credit unions, since they're owned by their members, tend to have better rates/fees than banks.)

P.S. Just prepare yourself for the fact that Europe is very expensive. I'm going back to London in a little over a week, and as much as I love that city I also cringe at the fact that the dollar is only worth $.50 in the UK. :(

I have used credit and debit cards in ATM's in Europe without problems. Make sure your PIN is only four digits. It isn't the issuing bank that determines what machines it works in, but the program they belong to: Cirrus, Plus, etc. I will be in Eurpoe in July/August, and have already notified my bank that I will be using the debit/check card there. My card acts as either debit or credit. EM

Capital One is the only VISA/Mastercard (major) issuer to not charge a foreign transaction fee, most charge between 1-3%, I have a Capital One card and it is my traveling card. Credit card issuers have to now separately list these charges, they used to just blend them in to the transaction to hide the fee.

Talk to your bank of credit union about overseas atm fees, but be very very careful using a debit card overseas. I agree with a previous poster that you can often get lower fees from credit unions, I don't even use banks anymore, credit unions all the way!

MAC

Capital One is the only VISA/Mastercard (major) issuer to not charge a foreign transaction fee, most charge between 1-3%, I have a Capital One card and it is my traveling card. Credit card issuers have to now separately list these charges, they used to just blend them in to the transaction to hide the fee.

Talk to your bank of credit union about overseas atm fees, but be very very careful using a debit card overseas. I agree with a previous poster that you can often get lower fees from credit unions, I don't even use banks anymore, credit unions all the way!

MAC

we have applied for a capital one. it looks like it is the best. i haven't checked with our credit union as we do not use it very much.

i read somewhere on here about prepaying on paypal, but i cannot find the post and do not remember exactly what was said.

When we went to Europe last year...My DH and I opened up seperate checking accounts at Capital One..And used that debit card to access needed cash from ATM's.

1. No ATM fee.

2. In case something happened to the card (stolen, lost), limited funds available- not like our other checking/debit card accounts, where we had direct deposit and are bills being paid out of. (if something happened to that account - totally screwed!)

3. Make sure to notify credit card companies that you will be out of country making charges.

4. Credit card companies - after wards, call them and see if they will rebate any of your foreign transaction fee charges - mine did 50%...it doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you are a good customer.

Have fun.

Archived