Carnival Victory to Canada - what to expect?

lillakat

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this forum, and DH and I are looking forward to our first Carnival cruise on the Victory in July!!! It's a 4 day itinerary, with St. John as it's port. It's to celebrate our 10 year anniversary and the kiddos are staying with grandma (the first time away from us!!!!)

Can anyone tell me -- is there a formal night on this cruise? How formal is formal? Long dress or tea length?

Should we pre-book excursions, or wait until we're on the boat?

Can we bring a bottle of wine on board?

Also -- we paid for a guaranteed cat 8A, and I just saw that we were assigned Category 8E #1057 -- is that good? I'm only curious.

I feel like I have a million questions and can't remember any of them!

Thank you for your responses!!!

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this forum, and DH and I are looking forward to our first Carnival cruise on the Victory in July!!! It's a 4 day itinerary, with St. John as it's port. It's to celebrate our 10 year anniversary and the kiddos are staying with grandma (the first time away from us!!!!)

Congratulations on your first cruise! You will become addicted like us. St. John is a small but very nice port. The people are very friendly and will welcome you with bagpipes and give each lady a flower and each man a lapel pin.

Can anyone tell me -- is there a formal night on this cruise? How formal is formal? Long dress or tea length?

There is one formal night, and either long dress or tea length is fine, whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Read over the excursions that are offered and pre-book if you want to be assured of the excursion you pick. A friend and I did the Bay of Fundy jet boat. It was most amazing, especially when you see the amt. of water pouring in from the St. Laurence River. My husband and his friend did the bus tour of the area (he was too chicken to go on the river!).

I think so, but we have never carried any onboard. I'm sure someone else can answer this.

Also -- we paid for a guaranteed cat 8A, and I just saw that we were assigned Category 8E #1057 -- is that good? I'm only curious.

Looks like a great cabin, you're on the Panorama deck and only a short walk from the action on deck. (Also very close to the pool and buffet). You will appreciate being so close to the stairs and elevators too.

Ask away. I know it is so hard to think of things in advance, but you will find great information here.

Have a wonderful cruise and Happy Anniversary!

Congrats on your 10 year anniversary.... When we celebrated ours 12 years ago, I took my wife on a 10 night southern caribbean sailing, renewed our wedding vows onboard, and it was possibly one of the most memorable anniversaires I can recall !

I would just book the shore tours while onboard....

You can bring a bottle of wine, but be prepared to pay a "corkage fee" if enjoying in the dining room at dinner.

There will be one formal night on your cruise... usually the 2nd night....it's a special occassion for the two of you so dress to the "9's" !!! Lottsa photo opportunities to add to your memories.

Nice upgrade.....but be advised you will have the fitness center right above your stateroom.... could make for some early morning noises.

Give gramma a big {{{hug}}} for taking the kiddies off your hands for a few days so you and hubby can rekindle the flames ! :D

Happy Anniversary. Absolutely dress as formal as you want so you can get some great photos! Hey, it's a special time for you so you want to do it up right! Congratulations and have a spectacular cruise!!!!!

LOVE the Victory!!! It is our 2nd favorite ship behind Spirit. Canada is "iffy." You can have nice weather and not nice weather. We have been 3x. Twice it was chilly, foggy and drizzly, once it was nice.

Whatever the weather and whatever you do, have a GREAT cruise! You will love sailing out of Manhattan too. Be on the starboard side to see the Lady...Happy Anniversary! :)

I was on a Princess NE cruise last September and all of the best shore excursions were gone by the time we got on board. Of course the major difference with Carnival and Princess is you have to pay upfront for shore excursions with Carnival and with Princess you don't so that could make a difference. If there is something you really want to do, then I would go ahead and book it.

We've done NYC-Canada 3 times on Victory as well (fourth booked for August - we're celebrating 25 years this year!) The first time we booked an 8A guarantee and received 1061 - just two doors down from where you are. It was a great location, and we had no noise from the gym. I liked being able to walk out to the deck and down the stairs to the Lido restaurant. Almost too convenient.:D Your balcony is on the right side to see the Statue - however, once you pass Lady Liberty, you might want to go up to the highest deck possible to sail under the bridge. It's an experience.

Formal night - you will see a little of everything: formal wear, cocktail dresses, "Sunday" dresses, more casual skirts. DH and I go formal, but we're definitely in the minority. Suits and cocktail dresses work well.

Excursions - I don't think you need to book ahead of time if you're not sure what you want to do - but you might want to go over to the Canada board under "Ports of Call" for some ideas about Saint John. One of the locals has a great thread on FAQs for Saint John - ideas on things to do, places to eat, etc.

Hope you have a great cruise, and happy anniversary!

Im all about casual also. Im going to take advantage of the new dress policy and let the boys wear shorts. Ill probably do bermuda shorts at least one day.

Am just going to wear a nice dress for formal..nothing fancy. This isnt our first cruise or any "special" cruise. We are just taking a well deserved family vacation.:)

We've done NYC-Canada 3 times on Victory as well (fourth booked for August - we're celebrating 25 years this year!) The first time we booked an 8A guarantee and received 1061 - just two doors down from where you are. It was a great location, and we had no noise from the gym. I liked being able to walk out to the deck and down the stairs to the Lido restaurant. Almost too convenient.:D Your balcony is on the right side to see the Statue - however, once you pass Lady Liberty, you might want to go up to the highest deck possible to sail under the bridge. It's an experience.quote]

Awesome! Great to know it's a good location! :)

I think we're going to go pretty formal -- my DH is an Air Force officer, so he's going to wear his mess dress (military tux), and I'll probably pull out an old bridesmaid dress (lol, that sounds bad, but my friends actually had spectacular taste and I love those dresses!!)

Thanks, everyone!!!

I think we're going to go pretty formal -- my DH is an Air Force officer, so he's going to wear his mess dress (military tux), and I'll probably pull out an old bridesmaid dress (lol, that sounds bad, but my friends actually had spectacular taste and I love those dresses!!)

Thanks, everyone!!!

Love a man in uniform! Hope you have a great time.

Expect a little of everything.

Weatherwise, it's a crap shoot. After doing this run three times, we've experienced better weather in September. I understand the later in the season, the better.

We had a lot of fog last year in July, but it was a bright fog. I had always imagined it to be dark. We had great weather in all our ports except for one time in Halifax. But we don't go to Canada for the beach!

The sailing out and in of NY harbor is the icing on the cake.

This run is great FOR A QUICK WEEKEND GETAWAY.

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/560250920lcEETt?mediaPosition=9

Hi lillakat...we're going in July on the Victory to Canada for our 10 year anniversary as well...and leaving the kids with grandma and grandpa too! It's my husband's first cruise, and while he's a little skeptical, I'm trying to convince him that he's going to love it! We booked an aft balcony on the Veranda deck, right below the Siren pool, so I'm hoping we don't hear noise from above either. I'm excited to go right up a flight of stairs for the hot tub each morning, especially if it's a bit cold or foggy!

I hope you have a great cruise, and a great anniversary!

Archived