Lunch ashore on the tender stops

snowmn

Hi there, Can anyone tell what you do about lunch on the stops where you tender ashore. I assume there are no places to eat on the Islands; we are going to Mystery Is, Ouvea and Isle of Pines.

Thanks, Pieter

We try to be on one of the first tenders and take our camera gear and money and look around the islands, buy some souvenirs and generally check them out.

Then we head back for lunch on board and grab our swimmers, towels and snorkelling gear etc and head back to the island for an afternoon of swimming and snorkelling.

It works for us. :)

Of these three, I have only been to IOP. There is food available there, but is very expensive.

We did a similar thing to Brushtail, and found that we stayed ahead of the crowd all day. Early tender off the ship, timed our trip back to have a quick shower before the dining room opened, then back on the tender while the crowd was returning for lunch. Time for another swim or explore before beating the crowd back to the ship.

We had lobster available on a couple of other islands as well, but Sun Princess had it on the menu twice so we gave it a miss ashore.

Of these three, I have only been to IOP. There is food available there, but is very expensive.

We did a similar thing to Brushtail, and found that we stayed ahead of the crowd all day. Early tender off the ship, timed our trip back to have a quick shower before the dining room opened, then back on the tender while the crowd was returning for lunch. Time for another swim or explore before beating the crowd back to the ship.

We had lobster available on a couple of other islands as well, but Sun Princess had it on the menu twice so we gave it a miss ashore.

I havent been to Isle of Pines or Mystery Island but from memory there wasn't much available at Ouvea just a beautiful beach.

Save yourself some serious sunburn and pop back to the ship escapte the noon day sun slap on some more sunscreen then go over again later!

Also refrigeration is a bit of an issue at some places so play it safe eating anywhere and observe the usual rules. If it cant be peeled (as in fruit) or thoroughly cooked just before you eat it, dont!

Tummy problems are a real holiday downer.

I havent been to Isle of Pines or Mystery Island but from memory there wasn't much available at Ouvea just a beautiful beach.

Save yourself some serious sunburn and pop back to the ship escape the noon day sun slap on some more sunscreen then go over again later!

Also refrigeration is a bit of an issue at some places so play it safe eating anywhere and observe the usual rules. If it cant be peeled (as in fruit) or thoroughly cooked just before you eat it, dont!

Tummy problems are a real holiday downer.

Thanks very much for the advice. I didn't realise that going back to the ship for lunch was an option. I thought the queing would have rule that out.

Pieter

Thanks very much for the advice. I didn't realise that going back to the ship for lunch was an option. I thought the queing would have rule that out.

Pieter

Hi Pieter,

The tender ride is usually about 10 minutes, sometimes 15. Add about 5 to 10 minutes (if you have to wait for a tender). On our last trip, when we returned from the Isle of Pines for lunch (around 12.30) there was a long line and we waited probably 20 minutes. Earlier and later there was no waiting line.

We usually make two trips to an island. The best advice I can give is to get an early tender. Tender tickets are given out just after the ship anchors and it is wise to be waiting when tickets are handed out. There will be an announcement the previous evening that tender tickets will be given out from (say) 8am. Be in line by around 7.50 or 7.55. Only one member of your party has to be there and then you can go back to the cabin and collect your gear and the others in the group. If you don't have a tender ticket for one of the early tenders you can wait quite a while (maybe half an hour or longer) to get to the island on your first trip. Later in the day tender tickets are not required and you can either walk straight onto a tender or wait maybe 5 or 10 minutes while one is unloading and before you can board it. :):)

Hi Pieter,

When you go back to the ship around 12-ish there is hardly anyone going back then, everyone is still coming across from the ship, and you will have a near empty tender. No queues.

Then when you have had lunch etc, you just go down to the tender station and hop on another one. The queues have depleted amazingly.

The other bonus is the near empty buffet area. Everyone is on the island.

You leave your valuables back in your cabin and just take your swimmers, P&O beach towel and snorkelling stuff.

One tip, don't forget to slip slop slap. The back of my legs, right down to my ankles, burnt whilst snorkelling last cruise. So much so that I snorkelled in capri pants after that. It was painful to sit down for a week. :eek: :p

One tip, don't forget to slip slop slap. The back of my legs, right down to my ankles, burnt whilst snorkelling last cruise. So much so that I snorkelled in capri pants after that. It was painful to sit down for a week. :eek: :p

Hmmm...I know that feeling.....:eek: :( I did that in Tonga in March

For a morning tour, have a BIG buffet brekkie - the works. For an arvo tour, a BIG Buffet Luch - the works. Works for me, never buy tucker ashore.

Cheers..Les:p :cool:

Archived