Boat Drills??

gregdude

I am booked on a cruise out of LA that has it's origin in Vancouver, goes to Seattle, then LA, before going to the South Pacific. We then pick up passengers in Auckland before continuing on to the rest of NZ and Australia. My question is: When are boat drill held? Do some of these passengers have to go three four boat drills before getting to Sydney? Is a boat drill held after each possible embarkation port?

It's very possible---even probable---that there will be a drill for everyone after each embarkation port. It's especially likely for you, as there is a great deal of time between LA and your next port.

There was a time drills had to be held weekly. I was on a 34-day cruise and we had 5 drills. They were very interesting, as the focus of the drill was different each time. We learned about the food/water/medical provisions, and saw an officer in a wet suit w/an explanation of what that was all about (I forget now---it was 1995, after all!).

Went through this in April during transition as a lot of people got on and off in San Diego. They did hold a lifeboat drill for those who just got on board. They have a roster at the stations to check off names.

Ruth & Jim

I am booked on a cruise out of LA that has it's origin in Vancouver, goes to Seattle, then LA, before going to the South Pacific. We then pick up passengers in Auckland before continuing on to the rest of NZ and Australia. My question is: When are boat drill held? Do some of these passengers have to go three four boat drills before getting to Sydney? Is a boat drill held after each possible embarkation port?

There is always a lifeboat drill scheduled on "change over day", or the start of a new cruise so in your case for folks embarking in Vancouver, BC. I'm assuming you're on Volendam's South Pacific & New Zealand cruise and the 14-day New Zealand & Australia (Great itinerary, btw!). Your cruise is divided into three segments, a 33-day from Vancouver, a 32-day from Seattle and a 29-day from L.A. plus the 14-dayer out of Auckland is considered a whole new cruise.

Passengers joining that cruise in Seattle and L.A. will have to attend their own lifeboat drill. But folks who already had the drill in Vancouver, do not have to attend a second one in Seattle or L.A. (Plus those coming onboard in Seattle, do not have to attend the one in L.A.) Since the 14-dayer out of Auckland is considered a "new cruise" everyone, including those staying onboard from the prior cruise, will have to attend that drill. Hope that makes sense. Have a great cruise!

There was a time drills had to be held weekly. I was on a 34-day cruise and we had 5 drills.

On my 15 day round trip to Hawaii in Oct 07, we had 2 life boat drills. The excuse given by the crew was that this was a requirement, have a drill at least once a week. There was no change of PAX. :(

On every other cruise of more than 7 days (but less than 14), I haven't had more than the initial drill. On the last cruise (Feb 08), I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't call a drill other than the initial one. :D

We were on a b2b last month for 12x12 days. When we asked if we had to go on the drill for the second 12 days, the answer was yes. We then asked about longer cruises. They advised that the current rule is that every 14 days all pax had to retrain via another boat drill. While I have no idea how accurate this is, this is what the front desk told us.

harry

We were on a b2b last month for 12x12 days. When we asked if we had to go on the drill for the second 12 days, the answer was yes. We then asked about longer cruises. They advised that the current rule is that every 14 days all pax had to retrain via another boat drill. While I have no idea how accurate this is, this is what the front desk told us.

harry

Retrain??? It requires a talent to find that row of boats over your head on the open promenade?

Sometimes I think it depends on the ship.

We have done the Hawaiian cruise -- only 1 lifeboat drill in 15 days - Amsterdam.

Just did the Westerdam Ft Lauderdale to Seattle - 1 lifeboat drill in 19 days.

On back-to-back cruises have always had to go to both lifeboat drills EXCEPT this past March on the Veendam - only had to attend the first one on our 7 day cruise. We were excused from the one for our 14 day cruise.

Archived