Just booked Nov. 09 Island Princess 10 day Panama Canal!

sppunk

Kind of out of nowhere - we were going to take the Zuiderdam but at the very last minute (and thanks to the FCC and $125 pp onboard credits) we are going yet again with Princess.

We're so excited ... never sailed on Island or Coral so looking forward to reading about these two wonderful ships!

Anyone been on the 10 day r/t Panama Canal cruise ... and if so, was it as wonderful as the few reviews I've read already make it out to be?

And, one last thing - any insider tips for the Island/Coral?

DH and I just booked the 11/20/09 Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess. Our first time on Princess, so looking forward to it very much. I changed our reservations this morning from a BD Balcony to an AC Mini-Suite with Balcony -- what the heck, it will be my 60th birthday during the cruise so it will be very special :D

We really like Holland America and would have taken one of their Panama Canal cruises, but their date selection wasn't as good and we would have had to use alot more vacation. The Princess cruise covers two weekends and it's Thanksgiving week, so we have several holidays plus the two weekends.....much kinder to our vacation schedules!

In addition to the Canal, Columbia and Costa Rica will be new stops for us. We have already been looking at excursions for this cruise and some look pretty interesting.

We were on the Coral through the Panama Canal in 2005. It was a great experience.

Make sure you get up early and don't miss the approach and passing through the locks. Move around the ship to watch everything that is happening.

The back is a great place to watch the locks close behind the ship. Our balcony was great to watch the "mules" - little train-like vehicles that attatch to the ship and go up and down the train tracks pulling the ship through the locks.

There's a great website I still go to - I like to watch ships go through the locks.

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Archived