Any other Scrapbookers!!!

abbyndrewmom

Tracybell

It sounds like you're as bewildered as I was when I first started scrapbooking. Maybe a magazine like Simple Scrapbooks would help, giving you some basic ideas and also information about the "proper" (as in what's acid-free, layout basics, terms, explanations of the "embellishments" (I call them doo-dads), etc. There are also lots of scrapbooking web sites like About.com, DIY, and ones by the magazines like SS, Creative Keepsakes. I download a lot of clip art that I locate by google search and love to use them, sometimes even printing my own paper, if it won't use too much ink. Good luck and just make it as simple as you feel comfortable. I've later gone back and added doo-dads and titles to my early scrapbooks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here'a an idea for long cruises.

Since I find it next to impossible to work on scapbooks, once I get home, I do them on the ship. Usually though I just have to leave spaces for pictures. But for my next cruise I found a small digital photo printer that is just a few pounds (weight) and I can print the photos I want and add them to my book in the evenings (or mornings). And the print quality is amazing!

For me, this is the best way to get my kids to scrapbook/journal too. The memories are fresh and flowing. Also on a longer itinerary my kids are happy to be doing something quiet and creative in the room. Guess I must have 'weird' kids.

seitseman

With regards to Alaska Cruise Album, why don't you just get a really nice album and use a "frame", or create your own, with an Alaska picture/postcard behind it. Or you might be able to get one with an opening on the front that you put your picture behind.

Frances

I plan on taking just the digital camera and two underwater disposables this time and fully expect to end up with 100's of photos once again. I'll pair them down for the scrapbook, though.

I also save everything and go through it after we get home to see what I have for memorabilia and things like that.

Sound like me. But I have 2 digital Cameras and my SLR. I don't think I am taking the camcorder this time. We took it on the first cruise, didn't even take it out. Then last year took it out for about an hour. I think I will pass on that one. But I will take both digital cameras (one just a point and shoot) and the other one does more (the hubby will use that one) and I will use the SLR. I found out there is a KMart right by our hotel so will buy most my SLR film there. One less XRay for them to go through. I don't know if KMart cost more then WalMart, I'm sure they do. I will also buy the water and throw away cameras there. Less XRay for them to.

Because I take photos of us getting ready, on the plane and in the airport I wanted a small digital camera. One that can slide out real quick and go back just as fast. That way I don't have to dig ANYTHING out till we get to the hotel. I learned my lesson on that.

Some great ideas here and we will use these tips. We have done diaries, scrapbooks and computerized scrapbooks for different cruises. Last cruise the dw is still working to finish.....dd is scrapbook consultant so we get good advice here as well.

We found an excellent web site for Travel scrapbooks for kids. Kids, especially mine, don't like to fuss with all of the details and the fancy touches that we adults spend time on. The Travel Vacation Books on www.myfarawayplace.com are easy for the kids to fill out at night. There are pages of questions about the trip and pages for postcards, ticket stubs, sand, leaves, whatever the kids collect. The best part of this book is that it's DONE when the trip is over! My kids are all doing one on our Caribbean Cruise coming up in just a few weeks. Can't wait!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making a shaker box with the stuff I picked up. here's how...

-cut a peice of cardstock or other paper to the size you want your embelishment to be.

- use double stick foam tape to outline the "box" make sure you don't leave any holes that the sand can come out of. use 2 layers or more of tape if you want to include thicker stuff like small shells.

- then cut one of your page protectors to cover the area that you have boxed in with tape. this keeps the sand inside so you can still see it.

- cut the top of your box a little bit biger then your first layer out of cardstock or other paper and cut a hole inside it so that your sand will show

- apply adhisive to the back of this shape and apply it on top of the rest of you block

Clear as mud right?????

or just put it in a tinny zip lock bag and attach the bag to your page.

or just put it in a tinny zip lock bag and attach the bag to your page.

Ok - I hate to admit it, but this is the only part I understood and it made me laugh! I guess someone needs to "draw me a picture", but thanks for trying to explain why to collect sand. :)

I too am a scrapbooking fan. I have added the best photos in my book with vacation theme papers, stickers and rubber stamps. I add foreign currency and postcards too. I use my computer to print out titles, dates and explaintions so that is looks neat & clean. I love this hobby and have done it also with my children's baby pictures and school portraits. :D

itstheeasterbeaglecharliebrown_240_001.jpg

I think it's so funny that the subject of shaker boxes has come up. I somehow ended up teaching a craft class (very long story) on our cruise (Sapphire Princess 30-day South Pacific Nov 22-Dec 23 2004) in which we made shaker boxes. I had brought some clip art for myself for my journal I planned on keeping, so the asst. cruise director in charge of crafts, who had run out of ideas anyone was interested in, ran off copies of a little frame I had, and we improvised. We had to use Velco tape in place of the foam squares and the temporary glue sticks ended up exactyly that-temporary adhesive, making for an interesting session.

*One thing we had to keep in mind was that Australia, our ending port, is very strict about bringing in any sand or shells from other places, so I think most of us used shells from an inexpesive strand of a shell necklace someone had picked up. We had fun making it, though, and it was still difficult explaining how to make it in person, so these instructions are really pretty good. It's an easy craft to do, just not so easy to explain. Wish I could figure out how to attach a picture of it--the "posting rules" below don't work so great. Each time I try it says the size of the file is too large and I don't know how to reduce it.

If anyone is interested in seeing a sample of what we made, I was able to post one at:

scrapbook.com

go to: gallery

search for: cruise shaker box

for some reason, mine is there three times--it's the square blue one that says "cruise"

Yes, I'd love to know how to reduce the file size. I use photoshop all the time, but guess I missed that part. I'm at: khmccorkle@cox.net

As for teaching the class, well... I didn't realize that on long cruises they usually have craft classes, often things that might have to do with the local cultures you'll be visiting. I heard people have made jewelry and other crafts of value, and my fellow passengers were expecting that. However, generous and classy Princess seems to only want to push their ceramics at sea program, and our official crafts were stupid: 1) make a flower out of two pieces of kleenex and a piece of wire (I asked why we couldn't even have tissue paper like they use in the gift shop and was told the little old ladies like it that way) 2) fold a box out of 2 pieces of paper and 3) fold a little picture frame out of an old menu (when I asked why we couldn't use the cardstock they had, I was told this way it was a souvenior). Anyway, since I didn't know about the classes ahead of time, I had brought materials to make my own Christmas cards to mail on the trip plus make a decorated travel journal as we went. People saw me working on them and after seeing what the classes offered, plus the fact that a group of us "the crafties" started our own group meeting every sea day and sharing projects and skills...the asst. cruise director who had been assigned the chore of crafts asked me to teach a few classes. Only thing I found out later, was they wouldn't reimburse me for the materials I ran out and bought at the first stop I could. They also wouldn't let me ask for the ladies to "donate" to me to help cover the costs. We had our not so fun moments. Originally I was going to teach how to make a scrapbook page, but when I found out I would be paying for it myself, on the largest ship of the Princess fleet--I'm a cheapskate, I guess--we ended up doing smaller projects like the shaker box.

Later the cruise director suggested I contact Princess HQ about teaching on a whole cruise, he implied it might be free, but I would have to provide all the materials at my cost. That dimmed my interest. I think he was just trying to blow me and my friends off like he had the whole cruise.

I don't know how other lines deal with this sort of thing. It would be fun, but I can't committ to 3 months or whatever they wanted. I'd be interested to know how other lines do it.

So that's basically how I ended up teaching classes--the classes themselves were fun, but the treatment by the staff to those of us crafties left a bad taste in our mouths. At least I can say I taught on a cruise, though!

If it is the Princess Patter it is your daily "newsletter" of what is going on. It is delivered every night to your stateroom. I try to get about 4-5 of each days worth. I keep one and make a pocket to hold them in. It is one of the last pages in the book. Then I use the "extras" for pages for the info. So I cut them up. Then I can use them as my "journaling".

Archived