I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

This is such a long thread that I haven't processed all of it, so my questions may be redundant.

First - I was in Copenhagen in 1950 when I was 12 years old. We had some Danish Girl Scouts with us. I remember Tivoli very fondly, and especially a roller coaster that went into a mountain which was unusual for then. I'd like to ride it again. Is that the oldest roller coaster that is still there?

Yes! LOVE it!

My projected schedule is as follows - we arrive by direct flight from the US early on June 10th. I thought I would take the train in to the Central Station, and hope to stay in a hotel near the train station and also near Tivoli. Will I need a Copenhagen ticket for the train and is that a reasonable plan or should I get a taxi?

The CPH card will cover the train, but a lot depends on what ELSE you are looking to do to see if it's worthwhile or not.

Taking luggage on the train, and then getting it up the elevator/escalator, etc. can be a struggle even for able bodied people. You may want to consider the cost/benefit value of taking the train vs. the door to door ease of a taxi.

I have been told that the boat tour is nicer than the bus tour, and so I have bought tickets on the hop on hop off boat. I find that such a tour is a good way to deal with jet lag as it doesn't take much intellectual or physical effort other than taking photographs. Does that tour have most of the major sites on it?

There is no hop on hop off BOAT. There is a "WATER BUS" that does take you from stop to stop, but does not provide commentary at all. I've never done that one, so have no idea what it's like.

Is it possible that you bought a COMBO ticket that combines the HOHO BUS with the boat tour?? I really enjoy the HOHO BUS tours personally. I think that you get a bit closer and can SEE the buildings on the bus tours, while you are wayyyy down in the canals looking up at most things (or much further away in general) on the boat tours. The COMBO ticket that gets you BOTH the HOHO BUS and a 50 minute boat tour is the best option, IMHO.

Should we go to the pier area to shop or is there a better place?

Don't shop at the pier if you can avoid it.

Head down to Nyhavn (you can catch the boat tour there, and the HOHO bus stops there too) and go to the Amber Museum/Shop. This is also at the foot of the Stroget, the biggest pedestrian shopping street in the Baltics. TONS and TONS of great stores there. Magasin, Georg Jensen, Illum, etc. LOTS to choose from that won't break in your travels.

I thought we'd go to Tivoli in the afternoon and spend the afternoon there and eat dinner there. I will have a debit card to use to get cash. Can you repeat the prices for the ride tickets and admission to Tivoli?

If you get a CPH card, the entrance is free. If you plan on doing more than 2 rides, get the armband. http://www.tivoli.dk (then press the english flag) for more info on ticket prices, opening hours, and what entertainment they have on hand that day/night.

Will a Copenhagen ticket be a good deal? If we were to see one other thing, what would you recommend for a 12 year old girl and her grandmother. She has a stamp collection - how about the Postal Museum?

The postal museum is quite nice, and very close to Nyhavn. There is a wonderful cafe up on top (Closed Mondays) where you can reward yourself wtih a great view and a bite to eat.

Across the street is the round tower, though with walking issues, it may not be a good choice. THough, there are very few steps, it is a long winding walk up the tower.

Rosenborg Slot (where the Crown Jewels are) is a great castle to visit. Also, seeing the changing of the guard or taking an inside tour of Amalienborg (the residence of the royal family) is also fun for girls of all ages. CHeck on tour times of Amalienborg first though, as it's not done frequently.

Enjoy your trip!

I thought about that but I had 2 concerns. First, I'm not sure how legal it is to bring liquor in your luggage when traveling internationally. Please correct me if I'm wrong. On more than one ocassion our luggage has been a victim of one of those spot checks where they open your luggage (you know they looked because they leave a note in your bag telling you so :rolleyes:). The other concern is that no matter how well we pack it, it might break. I guess a third issue is the added weight to the bag.

I'm guessing we'll just see if the tax free store in the airport option works (of course I have my doubts that it will be open since we arrive early in the morning) or else just bite the bullet and buy it in the city.

Thanks,

Alcohol:

1 liter of spirits over 22 % vol. or

2 liters of fortified wine or sparkling wine

2 liters of still wine

http://denmark.visahq.com/customs/

The postal museum is quite nice, and very close to Nyhavn. There is a wonderful cafe up on top (Closed Mondays) where you can reward yourself wtih a great view and a bite to eat.

Across the street is the round tower, though with walking issues, it may not be a good choice. THough, there are very few steps, it is a long winding walk up the tower.

Rosenborg Slot (where the Crown Jewels are) is a great castle to visit. Also, seeing the changing of the guard or taking an inside tour of Amalienborg (the residence of the royal family) is also fun for girls of all ages. CHeck on tour times of Amalienborg first though, as it's not done frequently.

Enjoy your trip!

EDIT (my time to edit expired as I was looking up prices)

Regarding the CPH card for your trip:

As far as if the CPH card is worth it for you ... it doesn't seem worth it as both you and your granddaughter (since she's 12) will need your own CPH cards. Since most of the museums let children in free w/ an adult, you're actually spending money that you don't need to here (IE - Rosenborg is free up to 17 with one paying adult).

Tivoli is the biggie - but it's only 85dkk for each of you, vs 225 for each of you for the CPH card. If you can spend 145dkk EACH on transportation, then the CPH card is great... but that's awfully hard to do. MUCH cheaper just to get a clip card.

So - sorry I rambled. The short answer is NO, the CPH card is not worth it for your trip.

EDIT (my time to edit expired as I was looking up prices)

Regarding the CPH card for your trip:

As far as if the CPH card is worth it for you ... it doesn't seem worth it as both you and your granddaughter (since she's 12) will need your own CPH cards. Since most of the museums let children in free w/ an adult, you're actually spending money that you don't need to here (IE - Rosenborg is free up to 17 with one paying adult).

Tivoli is the biggie - but it's only 85dkk for each of you, vs 225 for each of you for the CPH card. If you can spend 145dkk EACH on transportation, then the CPH card is great... but that's awfully hard to do. MUCH cheaper just to get a clip card.

So - sorry I rambled. The short answer is NO, the CPH card is not worth it for your trip.

Thank you for your quick answers.

I will decide closer to the time whether to spring for a taxi or take the train to the center of the city from the airport. Probably it will be a taxi. With my husband or one of my grandsons it would definitely be the train, but I'm not sure how much my granddaughter will carry.

What I bought was a water bus tour and I don't think I can get my money back on it because I did it through Expedia. Probably what I need to do is also get the hop-on-hop off bus which includes a water part and just use the water bus as an extra. It wasn't expensive so I don't feel too bad about getting it.

Is the HOHO bus an open top double decker (which is better for pictures)?

I can walk up to 1/2 mile (I do work out at the gym), it is just standing still that I can't do, and I don't care much for steps although going up is better than going down. Going up is an issue with fitness. Going down is an issue with bad knees. If a ramp is too steep it makes me afraid I will slip.

Alcohol:

1 liter of spirits over 22 % vol. or

2 liters of fortified wine or sparkling wine

2 liters of still wine

http://denmark.visahq.com/customs/

Now that's good to know and thanks for the link. If we each put a 750 ml bottle in our bag we'll be under the limit, won't be adding too much weight and should have just the right amount for a 13 night vacation. :D

Hi,

I will be in Copenhagen of Aug 28, have already booked an excursion to see the highlights and the Ice bar so will have 3 hours booked in the morning. I would like to ask how easy it is for me to visit Tivoli for a couple of hours and if its far from the pier and also what the weather is like at that time of year.

Thanks

Katya (MALTA)

Is the Ice Bar the same as the Ice Hotel? One of them was featured in this month's Budget Travel Magazine.

:)

What I bought was a water bus tour and I don't think I can get my money back on it because I did it through Expedia.

I have gone ahead and gotten the HOHO bus ticket.

When I look at the routes (and I would really like to have a map on their website but they don't appear to have one), I see that two of the routes go near a sports complex ( DGI Byen)

My granddaughter is on a swim team, and it occurs to me that swimming might be something we could do on the first day (I used to coach swimming and I like to swim too).

Unfortunately the DGI Byen hotel which would include free access to the pools etc. is fully booked for our dates due to some kind of medical conference. But it doesn't look like a ticket for this complex is too expensive. Have you ever done this?

How likely is it that some rooms will come available nearer to the time in June?

Given that walking miles is not a problem for us and that we travel with only a 22 inch roll-aboard and a tote each, we have the following questions for either Danish Viking or CruisinEurope.

Would it be better to take the Metro with our carry-on luggage from the airport to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the Hotel Bethel (Nyhavn 22) or to take a taxi?

After leaving our luggage at the hotel, we want to visit Amalienborg, Rosenborg, the Round Tower and Tivoli. Would it be better to visit these places in one day starting from the airport at 10:00AM or to visit some on the day before the cruise and the rest after the cruise (we will be in Copenhagen for 14 hours after the ship docks)?

Given these plans, would the 24 hour CPH card be a worthwhile investment?

I have gone ahead and gotten the HOHO bus ticket.

When I look at the routes (and I would really like to have a map on their website but they don't appear to have one), I see that two of the routes go near a sports complex ( DGI Byen)

My granddaughter is on a swim team, and it occurs to me that swimming might be something we could do on the first day (I used to coach swimming and I like to swim too).

Unfortunately the DGI Byen hotel which would include free access to the pools etc. is fully booked for our dates due to some kind of medical conference. But it doesn't look like a ticket for this complex is too expensive. Have you ever done this?

How likely is it that some rooms will come available nearer to the time in June?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE DGI-Byen!!! it's a GREAT complex with a wonderful pool area. There are actually 3 separate pool areas - - all included in the day ticket.

Just know that the changing rooms are OPEN and you will need to dress/undress in "public" with other women. It is also MANDATORY that you shower before getting into the pool - - again, communal with other women.

This is probably the biggest "shock" when Americans come to Europe... our modesty gets in the way. :o But, if you know about it going in, hopefully you and your GD can wrap your mind around it and be OK.

ENJOY your time!

Given that walking miles is not a problem for us and that we travel with only a 22 inch roll-aboard and a tote each, we have the following questions for either Danish Viking or CruisinEurope.

Would it be better to take the Metro with our carry-on luggage from the airport to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the Hotel Bethel (Nyhavn 22) or to take a taxi?

After leaving our luggage at the hotel, we want to visit Amalienborg, Rosenborg, the Round Tower and Tivoli. Would it be better to visit these places in one day starting from the airport at 10:00AM or to visit some on the day before the cruise and the rest after the cruise (we will be in Copenhagen for 14 hours after the ship docks)?

Given these plans, would the 24 hour CPH card be a worthwhile investment?

The metro will be fine for you - I wouldn't waste the $ on a taxi in your situation.

10am - set off from the Airport, drop your bags at the hotel, and get to Amalienborg. Try to get there for just before noon to catch the changing of the guard.

From there, walk out to Nyhavn and grab some lunch. Some suggested spots: Cafe Norden, Post Office Museum Cafe, Dubliner Irish Pub....

After a meal, head down the Stroget to the Round Tower. This takes no more than an hour (1.5 if you're REALLY slow getting to the top).

So now it's probably about 3pm (ish) (giving you an hour for lunch, and time to walk everywhere) -

PLENTY of time to enjoy Tivoli (which closes at Midnight - and is actually MUCH prettier in the evening when the lights are on).

On your 14 hour day post cruise, do Rosenborg so you can really take in the grounds, the castle, etc. You can also do a nice walk around the Kastellet (very close to the pier).

Enjoy your time!

(oh - the CPH card - - you'd have to tally up the cost of entrance to the museums and see if it outweighs the CPH card. The CPH card is 225 per person, I know that Tivoli is 85, Amalienborg is free to watch the changing of the guard, and I'd have to look up Rosenborg and the Round Tower. -- of which you'll only be doing 1 anyway - - so NO. Definatley not worth it UNLESS you plan on taking the metro everywhere .... but if you can walk it, then it's an easy and beautiful way to get around the city.)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE DGI-Byen!!! it's a GREAT complex with a wonderful pool area. There are actually 3 separate pool areas - - all included in the day ticket.

Just know that the changing rooms are OPEN and you will need to dress/undress in "public" with other women. It is also MANDATORY that you shower before getting into the pool - - again, communal with other women.

This is probably the biggest "shock" when Americans come to Europe... our modesty gets in the way. :o But, if you know about it going in, hopefully you and your GD can wrap your mind around it and be OK.

ENJOY your time!

We had gang showers in HS over 50 years ago, and we also had gang showers when I coached swimming. We just wouldn't have had enough space for individual showers for everyone. Sometimes kids would try to put on their suits in the toilet rooms, but they soon got tired of that, plus people objected to tying up the toilets that way.

Even the gyms I go to are pretty much open. So my modesty wouldn't get in the way (although I don't like it when women bring older boys - like age 5 or 6 - into the locker room with them), but I'll warn my granddaughter.

I'm sure this answer is already posted somewhere in this thread, but it is HUGE!!

This is our first time in Copenhagen. Arriving & departing by cruise ship. Does it make sense to walk from the ship terminal to the sights (HO-HO bus & nearby attractions). We have no problem walking 5-7 miles per day. Just need to know if the ship terminal is in the middle of a container port or if it is conveniently located for sightseeing.

Sounds like we would like the Ho-HO and a visit to Tivoli Gardens.

We plan to spend 3 nights at the Clarion Mayfair before our cruise in July. I know little about this hotel other than they offer breakfast and dinner buffets and all rooms were refurbished last year. It appears to be fairly close to Tivoli and Central Station but is it within walking distance of Stroget? What can you share about the hotel or its location? Thanks.

cent

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

@ mtnmusic

Strøget and Tivoli is located just on the other side of the Central Station so its a short walk.

But maybe some other user can post a review of the hotel because i don´t know it.

@ Fun33

What ship are you visiting with, because we have 3 cruiseports here in Copenhagen.

We will be on the Jewel Of The Seas arriving Sunday August 23rd.

@ mtnmusic

Strøget and Tivoli is located just on the other side of the Central Station so its a short walk.

But maybe some other user can post a review of the hotel because i don´t know it.

@ Fun33

What ship are you visiting with, because we have 3 cruiseports here in Copenhagen.

Wow what a busy day, we have 8 ships in port!!!

Your ship shares the Langelinie pier with Discovery and Silver Cloud so at least you ship will share the pier with 2 smaller ships.

But we do have som biggies in port that day, Emerald Princess, Grand Voyager, Celebrity Century, MSC Opera and Costa Atlantica so maybe there will be lines at the major tourist sites.

You can easily walk to downtown from Langelinie but public bus number 26 that reach downtown and the Ho/Ho busses also goes from Langelinie.

http://www.langelinie-outlet.dk/

Here is a map of the location.

http://www.krak.dk/query?mop=aq&mapstate=6%3B12.58709811033826%3B55.68970177105832%3Bs%3B12.546874540034092%3B55.703045228581715%3B12.62732168064243%3B55.67635831353492%3B746%3B467%3B-1%3B1&mapcomp=%3B%3B%3BLangeliniekaj%3B%3B%3B2100%3BNy%20Dahlerup%20Torv%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B12.600757380278296%3B55.69977004619682%3B0%3B0%3BK%C3%B8benhavn%20%C3%98%3BK%C3%B8benhavn%3Bmaps_place_dk.81778.22%3B1&what=map_adr&searchInMap=1&geo_area=langeliniekaj&stq=0&pis=0

Archived