I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@ RicardoC

I would recommend to come into town at least one or 2 days day before the cruise because if you luggage get lost you can still get it at the airport.

And off course you will have more days to see Copenhagen because one day isn´t enough to see all the castles and museums, do the canal tour and other fun stuff.

@ amri638

You are thinking of two cards here

1) The 24 hour transportation card that covers the greater copenhagen area. (Bus, Water bus, Metro, S-Train, Øresund/Airport train and regional trains)

The price is 120 kr for adults and 60 for Childrens.

2 children under 10 years is for free with one adult.

2) The 24 or 72 hour Copenhagen card that covers transportation and free or reduced entrance to most places in the greater Copenhagen area.

The price is

Adult:

24-hours card: 199 kr.

72-hours card: 429 kr.

Children: (0-15 years)

24-hours card: 129 kr.

72-hours card: 249 kr

2 children under 10 years is for free with one adult.

Thanks very much for the information!:cool:

After reading this very lengthy and interesting thread I still have some questions (I may have missed the answers... sorry, it's 34 pages long :o!)

We're going to be in Copenhagen from 9 am to 6 pm on August 28 aboard the NCL Jewel, which I've read most likely will port at Langelinie. We plan to take the HoHo bus and 1) stop at Amalienborg and Rosenborg 2) take the canal tour at Nyhhavn 3) eat the Cafe Norden 4) go to Tivoli.

My questions are:

a) should we get the CPH card on line and buy the canal tour separately? or should we get the HoHo bus tour/canal tour combo ticket?

b) Where can we buy the combo ticket? (is it available online?)

c) If we were to buy it a the Tourism office at the Pier would they take an international credit card?

d) Does Cafe Norden accept international credit cards?

Thanks so much!

After reading this very lengthy and interesting thread I still have some questions (I may have missed the answers... sorry, it's 34 pages long :o!)

We're going to be in Copenhagen from 9 am to 6 pm on August 28 aboard the NCL Jewel, which I've read most likely will port at Langelinie. We plan to take the HoHo bus and 1) stop at Amalienborg and Rosenborg 2) take the canal tour at Nyhhavn 3) eat the Cafe Norden 4) go to Tivoli.

My questions are:

a) should we get the CPH card on line and buy the canal tour separately? or should we get the HoHo bus tour/canal tour combo ticket?

I would just do the HOHO and canal tour combo. the CPH card won't be worth it for your schedule

b) Where can we buy the combo ticket? (is it available online?)

You can get them directly on the bus when you purchase your HOHO tickets.

c) If we were to buy it a the Tourism office at the Pier would they take an international credit card?

Yes. as do the HOHO busses themselves

d) Does Cafe Norden accept international credit cards?

Yes. Just tell them that you don't have a pin code and they can print you a receipt to sign

Thanks so much!

Enjoy your trip!

Hi,

We are thinking about using our CPH card to take the train from Koberhavn H to Osterport and then Bus 26 to Langelinie to get on the cruise ship. Is this easy and how far is it to the ship after the bus drops you off....thx!

Hi,

We are thinking about using our CPH card to take the train from Koberhavn H to Osterport and then Bus 26 to Langelinie to get on the cruise ship. Is this easy and how far is it to the ship after the bus drops you off....thx!

why buy the CPH card for that one trip?? it's certainly not worth it for one metro ride ;)

the route as you've describe it is VERY easy.

the bus will drop you off AT the pier - and you just have to walk onto your ship. SUPER easy!

(just remember though, that the BUS does not have space for luggage. SO if you're travelling "heavy" you may want to take a cab from Osterport station to the pier (SUPER CLOSE so VERY cheap). The bus, while cheaper, will be much more cumbersome w/ anything other than hand luggage).

ENJOY your trip!

I'm sorry up front for being redundant but :eek:....We will be in Copenhagen for 3 days prior to our cruise and I intend to but the CPH Card. Does that mean the HOHO Bus would be a waste of money or does it make sense to buy both since the bus is a way of getting around?

Thanks

We will be using the card for our 3 day stay not just that trip. ;)

We will be sure to take the taxi instead of the bus...thx

why buy the CPH card for that one trip?? it's certainly not worth it for one metro ride ;)

the route as you've describe it is VERY easy.

the bus will drop you off AT the pier - and you just have to walk onto your ship. SUPER easy!

(just remember though, that the BUS does not have space for luggage. SO if you're travelling "heavy" you may want to take a cab from Osterport station to the pier (SUPER CLOSE so VERY cheap). The bus, while cheaper, will be much more cumbersome w/ anything other than hand luggage).

ENJOY your trip!

I'm sorry up front for being redundant but :eek:....We will be in Copenhagen for 3 days prior to our cruise and I intend to but the CPH Card. Does that mean the HOHO Bus would be a waste of money or does it make sense to buy both since the bus is a way of getting around?

Thanks

For 3 days, I would def. get the CPH card.

The HOHO would be totally up to YOU - as it's not necessary if you have the CPH card since you can get from attraction to attraction w/ the bus/metro and don't NEED the HOHO.

Some ppl just like the convenience of a HOHO - and not want to bother learning how to take the bus/metro.

HOWEVER - with that said, the booklet that you get with your CPH card lists all the attractions AND the way to get to them via metro or Bus - - so it's VERY easy to figure out how to get there using the public transportation.

The only advantage the HOHO has is the narration along the way. If you enjoy that - then use the CPH card to get a discount on the HOHO and enjoy a ride around town listening to the commentary. Then use your CPH card to go back to the attractions that most pique your interest.

Does that make sense?

We will be using the card for our 3 day stay not just that trip. ;)

We will be sure to take the taxi instead of the bus...thx

LOL sorry - I didn't know you were there for 3 days. Just thought you meant for that one trip.

A taxi directly from the Tivoli area (Kobenhaven H station) won't be that much more than from Osterport - - so you may want to just take a taxi directly from your hotel vs. lugging luggage onto the train then up the esclator and out to the taxi stand. Again, TOTALLY will depend on the amount you have, and how easy it is for you to lug it around.

Enjoy your trip!

Dear CruisinEurope,

Thank you for all your excellent info! :) Just another question, you mentioned somewhere that there's a Western Union at Langelinie Pier... is there also an ATM (to get a better rate)?

Thanks again,

One thing to know - -

MOST Danish stores/shops/etc. DO NOT take American (or any Non-Danish) credit or debit cards.

They have an electronic chip in their credit/debit cards - and their card readers simply won't do the non-chip cards.

Come with your atm/debit card and plan on taking out cash for all (or nearly all) of your spending.

Now - the places where you will see the blue and white "Tax Free Shopping" signs will take foreign credit cards. These are places like Magasin, Georg Jensen, Royal Copenhagen, H&M, and some very touristy shops. (I believe you can only do tax free if you're going back via CPH airport... not sure if the cruise ships can process the tax free chits).

There is a "mall" (and I use that in the loosest sense of the word) right AT the pier. Everyone in there takes any type of money you have.

The bakeries, grocery stores, and other "normal" places WILL NOT take non-Danish cards.

ONE NOTE :::

If you are coming in the spring/summer - PLEASE and I mean PLEASE bring the most hard to get into purse that you can (must zip, go cross body, and have some type of carabiner clip running through the hole in your zipper to the shoulder strap so that the zipper can't be moved).

Men, put your wallets in your FRONT pockets or around your neck and under your shirt. NOT in your back pocket.

Pickpocketing is RAMPANT down by the pier, and literally (I am not kidding) bands of gypsies descend upon CPH in the summer to professionally pickpocket people.

If you come with travel smarts and a good healthy dose of "warning" regarding pickpockets - then you'll be JUST FINE.

The city itself is extremely safe and such a wonderful WONDERFUL place to visit.

We so happy to call it HOME.

How about money belts under your shirt?

Hey there!

An advance welcome to Copenhagen!

The airport is on one end of the island, while the cruise port is on the other. They are quite far away.

What I would suggest doing is purchasing a COPENHAGEN CARD from the airport when you arrive. You can purchase them in either 24 hour or 72 hour time limits. Choose whatever will work best for your stay.

That card is your "golden ticket" to ALL of the public transportation in the city. Luckily, it is VERY easy to navigate the metro, subway, and busses in Copenhagen. You will be quite able to take the subway from the airport and get quite close to the port. You will get off at Osterport. From there, take a VERY SHORT taxi ride to the pier.

This is all VERY easy to do.

In addition, the Copenhagen card will get you FREE or DISCOUNTED admission in to some of the city's top attractions. There is a fantastic "hop on/hop off" bus tour that you can get a discounted rate for with the card. That is the best way to get a lay of the land and determine what you REALLY want to see/do with your time.

Some not to miss items:

Tivoli (regardless if you have kids or not)

Rosenburg Castle (where the crown jewels are)

Amalienborg Palace (where the Queen & her family reside)

The little Mermaid statue is quite close to the pier - so that will be easy for you to see. Don't plan a whole day around her - as she is QUITE tiny.

Any other specific questions?

do you recommend seeing christiansborg castle?

For 3 days, I would def. get the CPH card.

The HOHO would be totally up to YOU - as it's not necessary if you have the CPH card since you can get from attraction to attraction w/ the bus/metro and don't NEED the HOHO.

Some ppl just like the convenience of a HOHO - and not want to bother learning how to take the bus/metro.

HOWEVER - with that said, the booklet that you get with your CPH card lists all the attractions AND the way to get to them via metro or Bus - - so it's VERY easy to figure out how to get there using the public transportation.

The only advantage the HOHO has is the narration along the way. If you enjoy that - then use the CPH card to get a discount on the HOHO and enjoy a ride around town listening to the commentary. Then use your CPH card to go back to the attractions that most pique your interest.

Does that make sense?

That makes TOTAL sense!! :D We're very "practiced" at using public transit when we travel. In fact we enjoy it.

Again, thanks for all your valuable advice.

Hi CruisinEurope,

First let me say Thank You for sharing your wealth of information! I've just read all 35 pages and my jaw is on the ground! You are amazing, & I'm very grateful to you.

I do have a question regarding Our Saviour's Church (or Vor Freisers Kirke) in Chrisitianshavn. I saw where you referred to it once (very early on this thread), mentioning that the steeple was closed and would be under construction until 2010. I'm somewhat of a weirdo who just loves to CLIMB stuff, everywhere I travel. I checked their website and it says they are scheduled to re-open "May 2009". Have you perhaps heard if construction is truly way behind schedule or if May '09 could possibly be correct?? We arrive May 19th, and I was certainly hoping to climb this beautiful spiral steeple. Have you heard any "word of mouth" locally regarding its progress? Thanks!

Hi CruisinEurope,

First let me say Thank You for sharing your wealth of information! I've just read all 35 pages and my jaw is on the ground! You are amazing, & I'm very grateful to you.

I do have a question regarding Our Saviour's Church (or Vor Freisers Kirke) in Chrisitianshavn. I saw where you referred to it once (very early on this thread), mentioning that the steeple was closed and would be under construction until 2010. I'm somewhat of a weirdo who just loves to CLIMB stuff, everywhere I travel. I checked their website and it says they are scheduled to re-open "May 2009". Have you perhaps heard if construction is truly way behind schedule or if May '09 could possibly be correct?? We arrive May 19th, and I was certainly hoping to climb this beautiful spiral steeple. Have you heard any "word of mouth" locally regarding its progress? Thanks!

LOL! You are welcome - Danish Viking has contributed a TON of great advice and tips too - so let's make sure to include him in the gratitude :D

As far as the church - I haven't heard, but can ask around for you and get back.

For your climbing pleasure, DO the Round Tower if the church is closed - that's a fun hike and a great view as well (and I'm 100% positive that it's open). Across the street is the post office museum w/ a great restaurant on the rooftop (closed Mondays) - so that is a fun little way to work up an appetite and then have a great lunch. (it's also not far from MY fave lunch spot - Cafe Norden)

Thanks Cruisin, AND Danish Viking too! :-) You two have given more information here than I've gotten from the "official" Copenhagen tourism website!

I'll keep my fingers crossed regarding Vor Freisers Kirke...

...& Yes, we'd already planned to be at Rundetaarn at 10:00 a.m. - for our morning "warm-up climb". :-) We'll definitely send salutes to you both from the top!

Dear CruisinEurope,

Thank you for all your excellent info! :) Just another question, you mentioned somewhere that there's a Western Union at Langelinie Pier... is there also an ATM (to get a better rate)?

Thanks again,

Do you know if there's an ATM at Langelinie pier? or just the Western Union exchange place?

Thank you!

Hey there!

An advance welcome to Copenhagen!

The airport is on one end of the island, while the cruise port is on the other. They are quite far away.

What I would suggest doing is purchasing a COPENHAGEN CARD from the airport when you arrive. You can purchase them in either 24 hour or 72 hour time limits. Choose whatever will work best for your stay.

That card is your "golden ticket" to ALL of the public transportation in the city. Luckily, it is VERY easy to navigate the metro, subway, and busses in Copenhagen. You will be quite able to take the subway from the airport and get quite close to the port. You will get off at Osterport. From there, take a VERY SHORT taxi ride to the pier.

This is all VERY easy to do.

In addition, the Copenhagen card will get you FREE or DISCOUNTED admission in to some of the city's top attractions. There is a fantastic "hop on/hop off" bus tour that you can get a discounted rate for with the card. That is the best way to get a lay of the land and determine what you REALLY want to see/do with your time.

Some not to miss items:

Tivoli (regardless if you have kids or not)

The little Mermaid statue is quite close to the pier - so that will be easy for you to see. Don't plan a whole day around her - as she is QUITE tiny.

Any other specific questions?

Can you tell me if those 3 attractions can be reached by the Hop on/hop off bus?

Thanks.

Do you know if there's an ATM at Langelinie pier? or just the Western Union exchange place?

Thank you!

not 100% positive. they've been doing some renovations, and I'm not sure what is there now and what is not. I'll head down this week and take a peek and then will get back and report :D

Thank you to both CruisinEurope and Danish Viking for all the useful information that you have provided.

We have questions. We both enjoy walking and understand that Copenhagen is a very walkable city. One question: about how long would it take us to see the following sites allowing time for us to walk from Nyhavn, where we will be staying?

Tivoli Gardens

The Round Tower

If we would not have time to see them all in one day, what would be the priority of seeing them? We will be spending part of a day sightseeing before the cruise and a day after the cruise.

Steve and Avra

Archived