I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi I Live in Copenhagen,

We will be coming to Copenhagen on Aug.3 to board the Emerald Princess on Aug.4th in the afternoon. We will be staying at the Hilton at the airport. Can you give any advice for what we should see on the 4th before boarding the ship or maybe even on the 3rd (evening). We were thinking of the Trivoli Gardens? What's the best way to get around from the Hilton since we won't have a car.

Would appreciate any help.

Thank you so much.

Appie

but the transportation card can be used by anyone until the number of trips is used up. So my wife and I could use the same transportation card, but would need separate Copenhagen cards. Is this correct or have I gotten something confused here?

I have a feeling that you might now be confusing a 24-hour travel pass with a 10-trip klipcort, but I will obviously defer to DV's local knowledge.

Wow thanks for all the helpful information that you have provided, I will print off all the details and use it when I am in Copenhagen.

Thank you also for the info about pick pockets etc

I also plan to print out a lot of the great info. Don't think we'll be able to see much of Copenhagen I'm afraid.

We arrive by air around 8 a.m. and the ship sails at 5 p.m. Since we're being transferred from airport to ship and after checking in, etc., will we have time to get off the ship and do some sightseeing before 5 p.m.?

On our return, the ship docks at 8 a.m. and our plane leaves at 2:30 p.m. What would you suggest?

I also plan to print out a lot of the great info. Don't think we'll be able to see much of Copenhagen I'm afraid.

We arrive by air around 8 a.m. and the ship sails at 5 p.m. Since we're being transferred from airport to ship and after checking in, etc., will we have time to get off the ship and do some sightseeing before 5 p.m.?

On our return, the ship docks at 8 a.m. and our plane leaves at 2:30 p.m. What would you suggest?

What time can you go aboard the ship on the way out and what time do you have to be at the airport to check-in on the way back? Those times will give the Danish Viking a better idea of what you might do. Just my two cents.

@ RicardoC

I would recommend to come into town at least one or 2 days day before the cruise because if you luggage get lost you can still get it at the airport.

And off course you will have more days to see Copenhagen because one day isn´t enough to see all the castles and museums, do the canal tour and other fun stuff.

@ amri638

You are thinking of two cards here

1) The 24 hour transportation card that covers the greater copenhagen area. (Bus, Water bus, Metro, S-Train, Øresund/Airport train and regional trains)

The price is 120 kr for adults and 60 for Childrens.

2 children under 10 years is for free with one adult.

2) The 24 or 72 hour Copenhagen card that covers transportation and free or reduced entrance to most places in the greater Copenhagen area.

The price is

Adult:

24-hours card: 199 kr.

72-hours card: 429 kr.

Children: (0-15 years)

24-hours card: 129 kr.

72-hours card: 249 kr

2 children under 10 years is for free with one adult.

Another question about the Copenhagen card. We arrive May 22 9:30 am for a Eurodam cruise on the 23. Wonder if the 199dkk card gets us into Amelienborg for free or just discount. Also, what hour do these attractions open on weekdays. Thanks

Another question about the Copenhagen card. We arrive May 22 9:30 am for a Eurodam cruise on the 23. Wonder if the 199dkk card gets us into Amelienborg for free or just discount. Also, what hour do these attractions open on weekdays. Thanks

Amalienborg is free with the CPH card (50DDK for adults / Free for children without it) and is open from 10am - 4pm during the time you're visiting.

Incidentally, this type of information is readily (and easily) available on the Wonderful Copenhagen web site.

People, please be respectful of DV's time by at least trying to do some of your own reasearch first.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and have found such wonderful information!

We'll be cruising out of Copenhagen in June (HAL Eurodam). We'll have a private transfer when we disembark and head to CPH. I'll need to stop at a market on the way to the airport to pick up some food for the long trip home (health related). Can you suggest a market or two that has very fresh, high quality items? Something similar to a Whole Foods in the U.S.?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

@ Fun seeker

You are indeed mixing up the 24 hour transportation card and the 10 clip card (aka Klippekort).

There is only one clip on the 24 hour card but one person can use it when you are done with it.

@ Mtierney

What ship are you on and wich date is it, because many museums are closed on mondays.

The reason why i want to know the ships name is because they are docked at several locations.

@ cr1

Can you please explain what a whole foods are, is it a quality food store?

Hi Danish viking, Whole Foods is a grocery store chain in the United States. They specialize in natural and organic products, foods that are prepared without artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings or preservatives. They include a wonderful service deli where you can buy ready-to-eat prepared items. They have very high quality foods.

I appreciate any help you can give me to find such a place between the pier and CPH!

Danish Viking

I am another newcomer to this thread. You seem like a great resource. We will be arriving in Copenhagen August 24 to catch the 8pm Emerald Princess sailing. Would you have recommendations for transport form the airport to the ship? Also on our return back to Copenhagen, will will stay two days post cruise so would like a central midrange price hotel for two nights. Would you have recommendations for that? Any ideas are much appreciated!

@ cr1

The shop that i can think about is Irma located several places in Copenhagen.

The ones that are most centrally located is the ones at Østerport Station, Nørreport station and Illum at Strøget shopping street.

The others are located in residential areas.

@ banditoo

You are lucky because your ships is in port on a weekday, that means that you can use bus number 26 to the cruise ship.

You can catch it with the airport train from the central station and Østerport station or with metro line M2 from Kongens Nytorv metro station.

The other option is off course the Taxi.

Do you know hotels.com, i always use this website when i am visiting other cities and they have all hotels for Copenhagen listed.

I can´t recommend any hotels because i don´t need anyone when im in town :) but the many users in this forum has alot of experience with the hotels so just ask.

But what comes to my mind is The square, Copenhagen Island and Astoria but i don´t now how good the service is and so on.

But have a look for yourselv here www.hotels.com

You are lucky because your ships is in port on a weekday, that means that you can use bus number 26 to the cruise ship.

Does the number 26 bus go to both piers, that is, Langelinie and Freeport or just one of them? Thanks for your help.

Steve

Freedom With Candles or Danish Viking,

What would you have to say about the following two hotels for a one night pre-cruise stay:

Comfort Hotel Osterport

Comfort Hotel Europa

Thanks! :)

The Comfort Hotel Osterport is literally RIGHT ON the train tracks of Osterport station - making it very noisy at times. BUT also VERY convenient for getting around CPH.

Comfort Hotel Europa is near to the "center" of town - ie: Tivoli, Central Station, etc. It's going to have it's own set of "noise" from the street - but probably not as bad as the trains at Osterport.

personally, I think I'd choose the Europa.

Enjoy CPH!

a somewhat random question, but perhaps interesting - what, to you, is your favourite thing about Copenhagen? Is there anything you feel that people tend to overlook when they come, but really shouldn't?

About Copenhagen?

It's nothing you can SEE per se - but what I love about Copenhagen is (in absolutely NO particular order):

-I love that there are no law suits from people trying to cash in on being stupid

- I love that people take better care of themselves and understand the importance of exercise, eating well (mostly!), and the benefits of the outdoors

- I love that the city is the PERFECT size (IMHO). Walkable, yet big enough to discover new gems each time you visit

- people are genuine, there is no "posturing" or other fake behavior that is so commonplace elsewhere

- I love that the people have a very definite sense of their country. their national pride is admirable.

- I love that this is a land of posh castles and history - yet their design houses offer some of the most brilliant modern design I've ever seen.

- I love that people respect personal space & personal belongings. I've never been so COMFORTABLE just being out and about anywhere else in the world as I am here. Not fearing for my safety, or my stuff (except when the gypsies are in... but those are NOT Danes!).

- I love the 20 hour days in the summer time

- I love that people use their bikes or feet over cars 75% of the time

- I love the dog parks and am utterly amazed at the level of obedience that the Danes practice with their dogs.

- I love that they do not spay/neuter their pets AND they still have 0% stray animals and NO overpopulation. THAT is good pet ownership!

- I love that a good hotdog and chocoloate milk is a perfectly acceptable lunch

- I love that they eat ice cream here 24/7/365

- I love that there are a zillion different political parties, each with their own agenda and morals. They all get along, all work together (mostly!) and seem able to "get the job done" - - something that we (USA) can't do with only 2 parties!

- I love that most Danes speak at least 3 languages.

- I love that the schools here teach you to think independently and work things out on your own vs. being spoon fed facts to score well on some standardized test.

man, i could go on for days probably.

In a nutshell - I am going to miss Denmark A LOT!

Great tips! I'll look into the suggested hotels as well as bus 26 to get to the port from the airport and then back again from the port to the hotel we decide on. Would there be any problem taking luggage on bus 26? If it is just a regular city bus, I am thinking it may be a problem to take suitcases.

Great tips! I'll look into the suggested hotels as well as bus 26 to get to the port from the airport and then back again from the port to the hotel we decide on. Would there be any problem taking luggage on bus 26? If it is just a regular city bus, I am thinking it may be a problem to take suitcases.

yes, it's a regular city bus, so not a lot of room. All busses DO have room for the BIG prams though, and if there weren't any on a bus, you could stick some luggage there... but then that would take away the space for the moms w/ the prams that need it.

The Comfort Hotel Osterport is literally RIGHT ON the train tracks of Osterport station - making it very noisy at times. BUT also VERY convenient for getting around CPH.

Comfort Hotel Europa is near to the "center" of town - ie: Tivoli, Central Station, etc. It's going to have it's own set of "noise" from the street - but probably not as bad as the trains at Osterport.

personally, I think I'd choose the Europa.

Enjoy CPH!

Thanks for the help. As I am traveling solo I feel that I would need to take a taxi into town from the airport in order to get my luggage there with me. Any idea how much this would cost me?

Cruisinineurope, glad to see you back. I have missed you. Hope you and the family and hubby are all great! Don't tell me--you are leaving Denmark. We are going to be there in June and July to leave and return from our Norway trip. Looking forward to another visit to CPH.

PS: My Marine is great.

Cruisinineurope, glad to see you back. I have missed you. Hope you and the family and hubby are all great! Don't tell me--you are leaving Denmark. We are going to be there in June and July to leave and return from our Norway trip. Looking forward to another visit to CPH.

PS: My Marine is great.

LOL! We don't leave for another year and a half ... so I'll be here for a bit longer :D

About Copenhagen?

It's nothing you can SEE per se - but what I love about Copenhagen is (in absolutely NO particular order):

-I love that there are no law suits from people trying to cash in on being stupid

- I love that people take better care of themselves and understand the importance of exercise, eating well (mostly!), and the benefits of the outdoors

- I love that the city is the PERFECT size (IMHO). Walkable, yet big enough to discover new gems each time you visit

- people are genuine, there is no "posturing" or other fake behavior that is so commonplace elsewhere

- I love that the people have a very definite sense of their country. their national pride is admirable.

- I love that this is a land of posh castles and history - yet their design houses offer some of the most brilliant modern design I've ever seen.

- I love that people respect personal space & personal belongings. I've never been so COMFORTABLE just being out and about anywhere else in the world as I am here. Not fearing for my safety, or my stuff (except when the gypsies are in... but those are NOT Danes!).

- I love the 20 hour days in the summer time

- I love that people use their bikes or feet over cars 75% of the time

- I love the dog parks and am utterly amazed at the level of obedience that the Danes practice with their dogs.

- I love that they do not spay/neuter their pets AND they still have 0% stray animals and NO overpopulation. THAT is good pet ownership!

- I love that a good hotdog and chocoloate milk is a perfectly acceptable lunch

- I love that they eat ice cream here 24/7/365

- I love that there are a zillion different political parties, each with their own agenda and morals. They all get along, all work together (mostly!) and seem able to "get the job done" - - something that we (USA) can't do with only 2 parties!

- I love that most Danes speak at least 3 languages.

- I love that the schools here teach you to think independently and work things out on your own vs. being spoon fed facts to score well on some standardized test.

man, i could go on for days probably.

In a nutshell - I am going to miss Denmark A LOT!

Fab stuff - your reasons sound very similar to ours for moving to Europe! You mention some gems - what for you are some real city gems that you only discovered because you went off the beaten path?

We are considering flying into Amsterdam for a couple of days before our cruise departs in Copenhagen (and a couple more days there). What is the best/inexpensive way to get to and from Amsterdam?

Thanks in advance!

Fly.

it's pretty cheap between CPH and Amsterdam.

or if you're more adventurous, you can take the train.

or if you're even MORE adventurous, you can rent a car and drive.

For my time and money though, I prefer flying. :D

Archived