I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

We just noticed that May 13 is Ascension Day in Copenhagen--which is the day we port there. Will tourist attractions be open? What about Royal Copenhagen China factory? Frederiksborg Castle? We want to tour the castle in Frederiksborg. Can you tell us how to get there by train and how much the train and castle cost? Will they be open that day at what time?

thank you so much for your help.

@ Atlanta Cruisers Too!

There is a staffed luggage storage and luggage boxes at the Reventlowsgade entrance at the central station opposide the Tivoli entrance.

Small boxes cost 30 dkk and large boxes cost 40 dkk for 24 hours.

@ alawman

Royal Copenhagen is closed on that day but Frederiksborg castle is open from 10 to 17.

You have to take S-train line E to Hillerød and then take a nice walk through downtown Hillerød until you reach the Castle 15 minutes later.

I can tell you the departure times and price if you tell me how many people you are and if there are any kids under 12 and teenageers under 16.

I also need to know where the ship is docked because you will either have to take the S-train from Østerport or Nordhavn station.

From the Tourist Information you simply just walk down the Strøget shopping street until you reach Royal Copenhagen on your left hand.

http://www.royalcopenhagen.com/Service/Stores-and-Shops/Flagship-Store.aspx

Here is the walking route, its just a little bit over 1 km to walk.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pr1hi

Hi Danish Viking-

Our ship, Star Princess, will be docked at Freeport rather then Langeliniekaj as we thought. Our original plan was to go to the ship, leave our luggage, have some lunch then disembark and walk to Kastellet for some sightseeing. Now that we are farther away what would be the easiest way to get to Kastellet and back? Is the S-train the "local" train? Looks like we could get on at Nordhaven and get off at Osterport. Would this be best or is there another way that would be better? How much is the ticket?

I seem to remember that you like trains. Here's a link to the website of a museum in my city. It has many beautiful photos of old steam trains online. The site tells the story of the photographer who took them.http://www.linkmuseum.org/

Enjoy!!

<<<Karen>>>

Danish Viking

We are arriving on June 30 late afternoon for the July 1, Baltic Cruise. We will be checking into the Adian around 2:00 p.m. Any suggestions as to what to see and do for this first night in? We are also returning to Copehnagen and the 11th staying until July 13. We have not picked a hotel for July 11 to the 13th. do you have nay ideas as to really good hotels? Also can you suggest what to do from July 11, around 11:00 a.m. and all day Monday July 12. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Morning,

We will be on Copenhagen Sept. 1st arriving on the Constellation Langeline Terminal.

Our group of 5 adults would like to take the canal cruise and do a bit of shopping.

Is it best to hop on the HoHo bus by the terminal to Nyhavn to catch the canal tour or do they let passengers on at the extra stop by the little Mermaid after departure from Nyhavn or should we try to get a taxi?

After the cruise what would be the best way to get to the shopping area?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Can you give me information on Push Bikes? I read in one of the hotel amenities columns that they rent them. Are there places to rent the bikes in Copenhagen?

Also: we are taking a cruise in July and need a hotel that's not too far away from everything, but that will get us back to the airport so we can transfer to the ship from there. Any suggestions on a good hotel? I was looking at the Crowne Plaza, but I don't know how far it is from Tivoli, etc., and we don't want to have to pay a lot in cab fare to get around.

Is there a Viking museum there? Is it interesting?

What about the canal rides?

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions, I appreciate your help!

irene

Greetings from Belgium

We will stay in Copenhagen on 22 + 23 july before cruising Azamara Journey.

- As we drive from Belgium and will be staying at the Copenhagen Strand Hotel what would you recommend:

Parking the car for 2 days close to the hotel (Where ??) or going straight to the port and park there and going back to the hotel by taxi or bus ?

- other question: what is best: coming from Hamburg and take ferry to Rodby or the way round staying on the E5. I figured out that by ferry is about 130 km shorter but perhaps not quicker

Thanks for your advise

I am trying to look into affordable hotels for my stay in Copenhagen prior to my cruise. Some examples are the Hilton Airport Hotel and the Crown Plaza Hotel Copenhagen Towers. Are either of these good or are there any betetr suggestions? I don't need fancy, just convenient to the trains and afforable.

I am trying to look into affordable hotels for my stay in Copenhagen prior to my cruise. Some examples are the Hilton Airport Hotel and the Crown Plaza Hotel Copenhagen Towers. Are either of these good or are there any betetr suggestions? I don't need fancy, just convenient to the trains and afforable.

How convenient to the trains do you need? The Marriott is about 1/3 mile from the main railway station and Tivoli, and many folks (myself included) have reserved it through Priceline for $100 to $120 per night. Specify a 4-star hotel in Copenhagen (downtown, not airport) and you'll get the Marriott.

Morning,

We will be on Copenhagen Sept. 1st arriving on the Constellation Langeline Terminal.

Our group of 5 adults would like to take the canal cruise and do a bit of shopping.

Is it best to hop on the HoHo bus by the terminal to Nyhavn to catch the canal tour or do they let passengers on at the extra stop by the little Mermaid after departure from Nyhavn or should we try to get a taxi?

After the cruise what would be the best way to get to the shopping area?

Many thanks.

If I may throw out an answer here. It is NOT very far from your cruise ship dock to Nyhaven and the canal boat tour. You can have a wonderful stroll along the water,and you can stop to see the Marble Church and the Palace along the way. If I had to estimate, maybe a 20 minute walk. I really see no need for a taxi unless there is some one in your party that simply cannot walk.

Cheers

Len

how from is it from the port to the city center? Is it walkable? And would you recommend a tour? There is a short private canal boat tour that sounds very interesting.

Depending on where your ship docks, it is walkable. there are several very good walking tours if you want to see the city by foot. If your ship docks at Langeline, you can walk along the harbor waters to Nyhaven, where you will get ther Canal boat tour. It is a very nice walk, and if you time it right, you can stop and watch the changing of the guard at the Palace, along the way. The canal boat tour is a NOT TO BE MISSED thing. From Nyhaven, you can walk to the Stroget (a sort of 5 block area of shops and stores, that has been made into a walking mall type area). At the end of that, you are very close to the main square in town, where you will find City Hall, Tivoli Gardens, and many other wonderful sights. It would not take more than an hour to walk, and that is at a very leisurely pace. Maybe a mile all toll.

Copenhagen is just a marvelous town to walk around in.

Cheers

Len

@ gkkapp

You can walk to Kastellet in around 20 minutes.

If you are in Copenhagen on monday to friday you can take bus number 26 but it does not go in the weekend.

The bus ticket cost 23 dkk for one adult including 2 children under 12.

The walking route is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pmSOo

@ nctatty

I will get back to you with some suggestions.

@ wongri

You can get on at the little mermaid but then you will miss half of the tour.

You can get the Ho/Ho bus or bus number 26 to Nyhavn and take the whole trip from there.

Strøget Shopping street is located in connection to Nyhavn so you simply just walk from there.

@ lecpmp

What pier are you docking at, Nordre Toldbod, Langelinie or Freeport Terminal (Orientkaj and Sundkaj)

@ Eye707

I will also get back to you.

@ rjmaype

The topic starter is not active here anymore but i don´t know if you can give him/her a PM instead, but nice of you of thinking of him/her.

@ rubens

Hello fellow european :), i will also go in detail with your request sooner or later.

@ Shooraq

The SAS Radisson is located close to the central station and is in the same price range as Hilton and Crowne Plaza.

If you want it cheap you can also look at Cab-Inn City located close to the central station and Can-Inn Metro located at Ørestad together with the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

@ nctattye

The first day and night you can start with relaxing a bit on the hotel or taking a nice stroll on the Strøget shopping street. Later you could go to Tivoli and walk around in the park.

At Tivoli i will suggest that you eat at Café Ultima that is a nice italian styled restaurant.

The next day is a little bit short but you can get into Rosenborg castle and see the crown jewels and the inside of the castle.

The post cruise hotel could easily be The Square or SAS Radisson because they are centrally located.

On the 11th you can cath the last day of the Jazz Festival, most concerts are free.

http://www.jazz.dk/dk/copenhagen-jazz-festival

You can also go to the Zoo and the the new Elephant house by Sir Norman Foster.

On the 12th you can visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles.

First you take the S-train Line E to Hillerød where you can walk to Frederiksborg castle.

From Hillerød you simply just take Lokalbanen to Helsingør/Elsinore and Kronborg Castle.

On the way home you just take the DSB First Øresundstog directly back to Copenhagen.

If this castle tour sounds interesting i can make a more detailed route plan.

Other places of interest in Copenhagen are...

Thorvaldsens Museum

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

The National museum (free entrance)

The national museum for modern arts

Amalienborg (plus chanding of the guards at noon)

Louisiana art museum

Christiansborg

The Round Tower

The open air museum (free entrance)

The resistance museum (free entrance)

That is all that i can think about right now.

@ Eye707

Crowne plaze is located in the Ørestad business district but the train and metro will get you to downtown Copenhagen in no time.

The Viking ship museum in Roskilde has reconstructed viking ships that you can get a small sail trip on in Roskilde Fjord.

The national museum has a great exhibition about the danish viking history.

http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/index.php?id=1386&L=1

http://www.nationalmuseet.dk/sw20374.asp

@ Rubens

Salutations du Danemark or is it Groeten uit denemarken. :)

The hotel does not offer parking and the price for parking in the street around the hotel is as followed.

Monday to saturday 08:00 to 18:00 17 dkk per hour

18:00 to 23:00 is 10 dkk per hour

23:00 to 08:00 is 3 dkk per hour

From saturday at 17:00 to 08:00 monday morning is free.

I would drive to the hotel and drop of the luggage and then heading to the port´s parking facility.

The bus back from the pier to the hotel is bus number 26.

You need the stops Skudehavnsvej and Kongens Nytorv, but please notice that the times marked with blue does not depart during the summer.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/Pages/Linje.aspx?direction_gid=9012200002600000&line_name=26&active=1&linegid=9011200002600000&next_stop=

I would take the ferry instead of the tour around Jutland and funen because you need a break at some point and the price for the ferry crossing is almost the same as the bridge toll over the Storebælt fixed link.

@ TB

It could be nice to meet all of you that i am writing with, but last year i forgot a arrangement with the other helpful user heinbloed because my computer broke down and i forgot to put it in my cell phone calender so i missed the date. :(

So i could make up for this by meeting you :) But you don´t need to bring anything with you.

But lets talk about this when we get closer to may because then i know my working schedule.

@ Rubens

Salutations du Danemark or is it Groeten uit denemarken. :)

The hotel does not offer parking and the price for parking in the street around the hotel is as followed.

Monday to saturday 08:00 to 18:00 17 dkk per hour

18:00 to 23:00 is 10 dkk per hour

23:00 to 08:00 is 3 dkk per hour

From saturday at 17:00 to 08:00 monday morning is free.

I would drive to the hotel and drop of the luggage and then heading to the port´s parking facility.

The bus back from the pier to the hotel is bus number 26.

You need the stops Skudehavnsvej and Kongens Nytorv, but please notice that the times marked with blue does not depart during the summer.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/Pages/Linje.aspx?direction_gid=9012200002600000&line_name=26&active=1&linegid=9011200002600000&next_stop=

I would take the ferry instead of the tour around Jutland and funen because you need a break at some point and the price for the ferry crossing is almost the same as the bridge toll over the Storebælt fixed link.

Many thanks for your heplful answers

Both "Salutations du Danemark or is it Groeten uit denemarken" are just fine - I'm a real Belgian: bilingual

a last question: do we need to book the ferry (especially because it's high season) but it's always difficult to put an exact arrival time at the port - wha do you think?

thanks again

@ Rubens

Last time we waited like 1 hour before we got on the ferry so i would make a reservation, they do sail every 30th minute.

@ The Viking

I don´t recall to have seen any Smørrebrøds restaurants in Tivoli but their website has a list with all the restaurants.

Archived