I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

But watch out for luggage!

SAS only allows one checked bag of 20kg/44lbs, and charges €11/kg for excess between non-Scandinavian countries in Europe. Which means, if you were to have a second bag weighing another 20kg, your ticket is now going to cost you ~$620 r/t! :eek:

See, this is what I was talking about, and I specifically had SAS in mind when I mentioned it.

Of course, if you can travel with just one 44lb bag for a 11 or 12 cruise plus, potentially, a couple of days either side...... ;)

Mike,

I was doing some research on Phil and my upcoming Baltic Cruise and found your CC comments. It was good to see your name again. I hope all is well with you.

We are arriving in Copenhagen, via SAS, and cruising from the Freeport terminal. If you can share any info with me regarding:

1. SAS - what happens if you check in 48 pounds of luggage on united in buffalo...will they charge you for the extra weight when we United transfers the luggage. I guess if they don;t they will get us on the return.

2. can we get to the freeport terminal from city center on a saturday via public transportation.

thanks for your help and hope to hear from you soon.

Eileen

We are arriving aboard the crusie ship Star Princess on May 22/10 and need to get from the ship to our hotel the Crowne Plaza...I am told that taxi's are scarce and I should make prior arrangements for transportation...

I have been unable to find an affordable company ... Can you suggest a good way for 3 adults + luggage & wheelchair to get from the ship to the hotel???

Once checked into the hotel I hope that we can ride the metro back to downtown for sightseeing.

Any hints would be great...Plan to do Trivilo that evening and eat in the park... What restaurants would you suggest besides Italian.

Thanks for your help.

Mike,

I was doing some research on Phil and my upcoming Baltic Cruise and found your CC comments. It was good to see your name again. I hope all is well with you.

We are arriving in Copenhagen, via SAS, and cruising from the Freeport terminal. If you can share any info with me regarding:

1. SAS - what happens if you check in 48 pounds of luggage on united in buffalo...will they charge you for the extra weight when we United transfers the luggage. I guess if they don;t they will get us on the return.

2. can we get to the freeport terminal from city center on a saturday via public transportation.

thanks for your help and hope to hear from you soon.

Eileen

I have never had any issues checking in in the US with 50 lbs. nor checking in with SAS in Europe where they accept the US limits of 50 lbs. They also allow the more liberal US restrictions as to carry on luggage when if you fly for example CPH, FRA,ORD.

Just my own experience from multiple trips

Thanks to all for the wonderful help in this thread. We will be visiting Copenhagen on Tuesday August 17th. Our ship is supposed to dock at Freeport.

Our plan is to either take the ship shuttle (if one exists) to town or to take bus 26 if there is no shuttle.

Our first area is Rosenborg Castle and then the National Art Musuem (all in the same area). If we take the bus there, what is the name of the stop? I can't figure out the stops on the website. Secondly, how much time should be alloted to those? My wife is an art history major in college, so we spend a fair amount of time in museums. Just not sure how extensive the collection is in the museum.

After that, we are going to eat lunch at Riz-Raz (we are the token Vegan's on every cruise). Is that accessible by bus from the Rosenborg area or is it in walking distance or better yet, by bike? We are both avid walkers.

Lastly, we will go to Tivoli. I believe that is in walking distance from either Riz-Raz location, correct?

From Tivoli/Stroget, does the bus back to Freeport leave directly or does it take a long loop? How long should we leave to get back to the ship in plenty of time (departs at 8 pm)?

thanks again for all the help.

We are going on a 12 day baltic cruise with our 3 boys...14,11,8. Originally we chose a city hilights and open air history tour, but now I'm rethinking that idea and wondering if we should go to Tivoli Gardens instead. Our disney cruise has a special early admission so we can spend up to 8 hours there.

Is it worth it? Is it enough time? Should we do the Open air museum instead?

I hate the idea of being in Copenhagen only one day and only seeing one amusement park, but I also think that it might be fun to have a day of fun and not history with the boys to break up all our other museum filled excursions.

Any suggestions?

We are going on a 12 day baltic cruise with our 3 boys...14,11,8. Originally we chose a city hilights and open air history tour, but now I'm rethinking that idea and wondering if we should go to Tivoli Gardens instead. Our disney cruise has a special early admission so we can spend up to 8 hours there.

Is it worth it? Is it enough time? Should we do the Open air museum instead?

I hate the idea of being in Copenhagen only one day and only seeing one amusement park, but I also think that it might be fun to have a day of fun and not history with the boys to break up all our other museum filled excursions.

Any suggestions?

The boys will surely love Tivoli Gardens and so will you.

Try and split your time to say, 1/2 a day in Tivoli and the other half touring around.

Danish Viking,

I was able to secure the Marriott for $120 a night plus tax through priceline. Not bad considering they wanted $309 per night on their web site. I personally like the idea of the Jazz festival but my wife is not into that. I think When we check in on the 30th, we will probably do as you suggest, go to Strøget shopping street and then to Tivoli and walk around in the park. How late are the stores open and should we get somesort of prepaid ticket for Trivoi? Thanks for your assistance.

Neal

nctattytravler

@ nctatty

The shops do have open until 18 or 19 on weekdays but the cafés bars and restaurants along strøget is offcouse open all the evening.

Normally there are no big lines to enter tivoli (only before fridays rock) so you won´t need a prepaid ticket.

@ houston_raider

I would take bus number 26 directly to Statens Museum For Kunst the stop is called Øster Voldgade/Sølvgade.

Rosenborg Castle must be possible to see from the museum.

There is almost 900 meters to Restaurant Riz Raz from rosenborg, the walking route is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pTbA0

As you can also see on the map there is not long to Tivoli.

On the way home bus number 26 will swing through downtown copenhagen but you can cath it at Østerport with a train from the central station.

But the last bus back to the port departs at 18:06, 18:25 and 18:45 from Østerport.

You can also take the S-train one stop further to Nordhavn and walk from there, it will take around 10 minutes.

@ nctatty

The shops do have open until 18 or 19 on weekdays but the cafés bars and restaurants along strøget is offcouse open all the evening.

Normally there are no big lines to enter tivoli (only before fridays rock) so you won´t need a prepaid ticket.

@ houston_raider

I would take bus number 26 directly to Statens Museum For Kunst the stop is called Øster Voldgade/Sølvgade.

Rosenborg Castle must be possible to see from the museum.

There is almost 900 meters to Restaurant Riz Raz from rosenborg, the walking route is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pTbA0

As you can also see on the map there is not long to Tivoli.

On the way home bus number 26 will swing through downtown copenhagen but you can cath it at Østerport with a train from the central station.

But the last bus back to the port departs at 18:06, 18:25 and 18:45 from Østerport.

You can also take the S-train one stop further to Nordhavn and walk from there, it will take around 10 minutes.

Thanks Danish_viking. A couple of follow up questions: how much time should we allow for the museum? How big is it?

Same question for Rosenborg?

Lastly, I went to the Krak.dk website and it actually shows 2.6 KM by road. Is it possible to get bikes near the museum and ride them to Riz-Raz/Tivoli? How lost would we get or are there signs all over town pointing to major sites, like Tivoli?

Thanks!

I would allow at least 1 hour but maybe 1,5 hour at each site.

I don´t know why it gets the 2,6 kms from but there are many pedestrian streets and one way streets in central Copenhagen so that is maybe the answer.

The walking route i made for you will take you through Kongens Have (The Kings Garden) and some pedestrian streets so its shorter than by car.

There is no signs saying tivoli but if you follow Strøget shopping/pedestrian street you will get to the town hall square and Tivoli.

I don´t know about the citybikes but try to ask them on this website.

http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikeandcopenhagen.aspx

I would allow at least 1 hour but maybe 1,5 hour at each site.

I don´t know why it gets the 2,6 kms from but there are many pedestrian streets and one way streets in central Copenhagen so that is maybe the answer.

The walking route i made for you will take you through Kongens Have (The Kings Garden) and some pedestrian streets so its shorter than by car.

There is no signs saying tivoli but if you follow Strøget shopping/pedestrian street you will get to the town hall square and Tivoli.

I don´t know about the citybikes but try to ask them on this website.

http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikeandcopenhagen.aspx

Thanks!

@ nctattye

..........On the 12th you can visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles.

First you take the S-train Line E to Hillerød where you can walk to Frederiksborg castle.

From Hillerød you simply just take Lokalbanen to Helsingør/Elsinore and Kronborg Castle.

On the way home you just take the DSB First Øresundstog directly back to Copenhagen.

If this castle tour sounds interesting i can make a more detailed route plan.

Other places of interest in Copenhagen are...

Thorvaldsens Museum

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

The National museum (free entrance)

The national museum for modern arts

Amalienborg (plus chanding of the guards at noon)

Louisiana art museum

Christiansborg

The Round Tower

The open air museum (free entrance)

The resistance museum (free entrance)

That is all that i can think about right now.

Hi,

I was wondering if you can provide me with a little more information on Kronborg Castles. Specifically, what train do I take from Copenhagen? We are going to be docked at Langelinie. I would like to take a train in the morning around 9:30 - 10:00. Do you have any idea how much the fare may cost?

TY

Hi,

I was wondering if you can provide me with a little more information on Kronborg Castles. Specifically, what train do I take from Copenhagen? We are going to be docked at Langelinie. I would like to take a train in the morning around 9:30 - 10:00. TY

Danish Viking has posted the information, which I cut and paste into our planning notes shown below - so we're planning to do both Frederiksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle on the same excursion, since they are relatively close to one another. I hope you can extract just doing one, or the other alone from these notes. We're planning to buy the 24 hour CPH card as we want most transportation and admission prices covered as well.

From Langeline, you should be able to catch the train near the Langeline port at the Osterport train station, which I belive is serviced by the #26 bus from the Langeline port. If not, a short cab ride would get you to the train station.

Here is my notes compiled from Danish Viking's numerous responses my questions (Thanks again Danish Viking! )

Copenhagen to Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød

Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød. Take the S-train line E to Hillerød (Frederiksborg Castle). There is just less than 1 mile (1.4 km) walk from the Hillerød train station to the castle, and a nice walk through Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle. That will get you to the castle in 30-40 minutes. Or, you can take bus number 701, 702, 703, or 325 from the train station but that is only 3 minutes shorter time than walking.

Frederiksborg Castle opens at 10:00 (closes at 5:00 PM) and you should allow yourself at least 1 or 1.5 hours inside, but also at the gardens outside.

Helsingør train station has two adjacent terminals: the DSB terminal for national trains and the smaller Helsingør–Hornbæk–Gilleleje Banen (HHGB) terminal for the private railway that runs along the north coast of Denmark. DSB trains from Hillerød to Copenhagen run about three times hourly from early morning to around midnight.

On the way back you can catch the bus from just outside the castle (or walk). The bus is route 702 that drives from almost outside the main gate - it drives towards Egedammen, but it is in the direction of the train station. The bus gives you 6 minutes to change to the S-train back to Copenhagen, if you take the bus at 11:30 you will be back in Copenhagen at 12:20

Hillerød (Frederiksborg) to Helsingør (Kronborg)

The “Lille Nord” Lokalbanen (without traveling back to Copenhagen Central Station) will get you from Hillerød (Frederiksborg) to Helsingør (Kronborg). The “Lille Nord” goes every hour at XX:00 Between 05:30 and 08:30 and 14:30 and 18:30 it also departs at XX:30. The travel time is 28 minutes.

2) Kronborg Castle (also called Elsinor Castle) at Helsingør. http://www.kronborg.dk "Hamlet's Castle". There is also a great maritime museum inside the castle that is well worth visiting. The Helsingør Station it is a 10 minute walk from the castle.

The CPH Card would give you transportation but not entrance to Kronborg Castle, but here is a price list for what's included in the tickets purchased at the castle.

Ticket Prices Admission Adults Children 15 - 18 years

Ticket#1 Royal Apartments - Ballroom - Casemates - Castle Chapel - Danish Maritime Museum - The Telegraph Tower (only during the summer)

90 DKK / 65 DKK

Ticket#2 Royal Apartments - Ballroom - Casemates - Castle Chapel

65 DKK / 65 DKK

Ticket#3 Casemates - Castle Chapel

30 DKK / 30 DKK

Ticket#4 Danish Maritime Museum - The Telegraph Tower (only during the summer)

50 DKK / Free

To Copenhagen from Helsingør (Kronborg Castle )

DSB Öresund coastal trains between Helsingør and Copenhagen. Take the DSB First Øresundstog directly back to Copenhagen. The Öresund Regional train heading from Helsingør to Copenhagen Central Station (Hovedbanegården) - leaves every 20 minutes. From The train back from Helsingør goes at XX:04, XX:15, XX:24, XX:35, XX:44 and XX:55 and it takes between 46 and 48 minutes. Of course you would get off at your train station of embarkation, the Osterport train station.

@backtocruisin

You can go to Tivoli as much as you like, but the card only covers the admission fee to Tivoli. Rides are extra. You can pay per ride with prepaid coupons (bought inside Tivoli) or pay for a ride pass (also bought inside Tivoli). The reason for this system with separate admission and ride fees is that really many people use Tivoli as a park or go there to have dinner or lunch and don't do rides. It wouldn't be fair if these people should pay a price that allows for unlimited rides.

@ Mama Pat

I would either take a taxi all the way or take the Metro to Kongens Nytorv and take a taxi from there or take the train to the central station and walk up to the hotel.

You can see the location of the hotel here on this map.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pdhsC

@ Scoobydoo76

On the pdf file called Kystbanen (the coastal line) you will find the timetable of the train

http://www.dsbfirst.dk/Koreplaner/

And as the Genie posted you can either walk to Østerport station or take bus number 26 and get of at Østerport.

The bus goes every 20th minute right next to the ship, your stop is called Langeliniekaj (Østmolen)

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/Pages/Linje.aspx?direction_gid=9012200002600000&line_name=26&active=1&linegid=9011200002600000&next_stop=

The prices is on this link, you need a alle Zoner ticket or just the 24 hour ticket.

The 24 hour ticket is the cheapest but you can not buy them in the bus, only at the train station so you have to walk to the station but its a easy walk.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Priser/hovedstadsomraadet/prisoversigt/Pages/prisoversigt.aspx

@backtocruisin

You can go to Tivoli as much as you like, but the card only covers the admission fee to Tivoli. Rides are extra. You can pay per ride with prepaid coupons (bought inside Tivoli) or pay for a ride pass (also bought inside Tivoli). The reason for this system with separate admission and ride fees is that really many people use Tivoli as a park or go there to have dinner or lunch and don't do rides. It wouldn't be fair if these people should pay a price that allows for unlimited rides.

thanks for the info....it is much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone who help us on our travel to Copenhagen. I have a question about the international airport. Do you know if one can access the restaurants and other facilities in the airport without having to go through security clearance? We thought we might check into the Airport Hilton and go back to the airport, perhaps having something to eat later in the day if we are too tired to go into town and don't like what is available to eat at the Hilton. In some US airports, one has to go through security with a boarding pass in order to get to the eateries. (We won't have a ticket after we arrive since our departure won't be for ten days - after our cruise.)

Being unfamiliar with currency and transportation I am a little concerned about our 2 night stay prior to our May 12th cruise. Can you provide any information on our best option for mode of transport from airport to Hotel

Twentyseven and from there to ship port 2 days later. Is it difficult to get a taxi and what is the going rate. Do I need Danish Krone for transport>

@orchidmom

Unfortunately, most of the airport's restaurants are after security, where only ticketed passengers are allowed. There is a limited choice before security, mostly fast food. The airport's website has an overview of all reataurants, including which are before and which are after security: http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Shopping+and+Eating/Where+to+Eat+and+Drink/

OrchidMom,

We have stayed at the Copenhagen Airport Hilton four times before or after cruises. The hotel has a very good restaurant on the lobby level floor. Breakfast and Dinner are very good with many choices. They are both, like most things in Denmark, more expensive than the equivalent in the United States We haven't eaten lunch there. We usually take or buy breakfast bars or such for a little lunch, if that is all we want. You might want to check the hotel restaurant hours for the day you arrive.

The train and the Metro are both right across the overhead walkway and the hotel sells tickets if you want to charge the tickets or don't want to use the ticket vending machines in the station. It's a quick ride to downtown Copenhagen. It's a great hotel (and I don't work for Hilton)!

Archived