I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

The little Mermaid is not at home this summer, she's on her first trip away from home in Shanghai.

The Queens palace, Amalienborg, is very close to Langelinie, the change of the guards is every day at noon. The guard walks from Rosenborg (where the crown jewels are at display) at 11.30 AM, , to Amalienborg. The crownprince and crownprincess have just had their new home at Amalienborg redecorated. It's called Frederik the 8th Palæ and it's possible to get at look, before the couple move in. It should be quite spectacular.

And now my turn for a silly question. In the US, the pharmacies sell everything you might need, including candy and souvenirs, in Copenhagen the apoteks are for medicine only (or not?) ?

Should I duck and hide? :confused:

And now my turn for a silly question. In the US, the pharmacies sell everything you might need, including candy and souvenirs, in Copenhagen the apoteks are for medicine only (or not?) ?

Should I duck and hide? :confused:

You are (almost) right;) The apoteks sell medicine, lotions, toothpaste and things like that, but not candy and souvenirs. Also only a few apoteks are open after 5:30 PM!!

I note the Waterbus HOHO stops at the Langeline cruise pier and for 75 DKK you can get a 24 hour ticket for the Waterbus HOHO and 60-minute guided canal tours. The boats go to Amelienborg, Nyhaven and to the Marriott near Tivoli and the Central Station, among other places. If the weather is decent it sounds like a very good deal for a tourist to get around the city for a day.

I know that while the guided tours are conducted on covered boats, the HOHO Waterbus service is on open boats. Otherwise, what are the down sides of using Waterbus HOHOs to get around the city?

The cover photo is definitely not from Copenhagen, we don't have mountains that size anywhere in the country.. It's probably from the Swedish "skærgård" the beautifull western coast of Sweden.

Sorry, meant backcover with the narrow colorful houses.

(Rick Steves' Scandinavia Book)

Do you know of any cafes that sell panekoken other than Tivoli. Might not have a chance to get there. In Amsterdam I remembered a particular cafe sellIng them as dessert (sweet- strawberries, nutella) & savory (tuna, bacon, veggies etc). :p:p

Sorry, meant backcover with the narrow colorful houses.

(Rick Steves' Scandinavia Book)

Do you know of any cafes that sell panekoken other than Tivoli. Might not have a chance to get there. In Amsterdam I remembered a particular cafe sellIng them as dessert (sweet- strawberries, nutella) & savory (tuna, bacon, veggies etc). :p:p

I looked up the book on the internet, so I can't see the back, but from your description, but it might very well be from Nyhavn, the small harbour in the centre of Copenhagen. In the old days sailors used to tour the "værtshuse" = the small inns, when they came ashore. There are still a lot of bars/cafees and it's extremely "hyggeligt" =cosy. So now you also speak Danish ;)

I've researched a bit on the "pandekager" = pancakes. I didn't find any cafees. BUT there is a very famous kind of "pandekager" called "rådhuspandekager" = Townhallpancakes. They are served only in the Copenhagen Townhall on special occasions (ex. when a new Mayor is elected) and are baked on a secret recipe. I called the Townhall today and they will be willing to give you a guided tour in the Townhall and serve these famous "rådhuspandekager" to you. You can e-mail the head of the guard and make the arrangement. His name is Flemming Nielsen, flniel@kff.kk.dk. Depending on the arrangement, he will charge 350 DKK per hour and can have a group of up to 10 persons. The pancakes are 16 DKK a piece.

I hope this info is useful.

I note the Waterbus HOHO stops at the Langeline cruise pier and for 75 DKK you can get a 24 hour ticket for the Waterbus HOHO and 60-minute guided canal tours. The boats go to Amelienborg, Nyhaven and to the Marriott near Tivoli and the Central Station, among other places. If the weather is decent it sounds like a very good deal for a tourist to get around the city for a day.

I know that while the guided tours are conducted on covered boats, the HOHO Waterbus service is on open boats. Otherwise, what are the down sides of using Waterbus HOHOs to get around the city?

-i don't know if it's a down side, but you will see the sights looking upwards as the canals are located below street level.

I ordered the 72 hour Copenhagen Cards for my husband and myself two weeks ago. On Monday we received six 24 hour Copenhagen Cards and one 24 hour Child Copenhagen Card. On Wednesday we received another envelope with two 72 hour Copenhagen Cards. We were only charged for the two 72 hour Copenhagen Cards. Does anyone know if we can give them to some friends and will they still work? The cards are non-refundable. Thanks.:o

OK this is really weird.. I just happened upon this thread after contacting the company to find out where our cards were. I haven't heard back yet. I ordered our tickets on the 22nd of April and have not received them yet. I have been wondering what is taking so long and have contacted the company to find out. Is there a name or something on the cards? I ordered 6 adult and 1 child ticket to be used on 27 June 2010. The name is Webb. I received our Stockholm cards very quickly (ordered the same day)

I know this is weird... I will let you know what the response is from the company.

OK this is really weird.. I just happened upon this thread after contacting the company to find out where our cards were. I haven't heard back yet. I ordered our tickets on the 22nd of April and have not received them yet. I have been wondering what is taking so long and have contacted the company to find out. Is there a name or something on the cards? I ordered 6 adult and 1 child ticket to be used on 27 June 2010. The name is Webb. I received our Stockholm cards very quickly (ordered the same day)

I know this is weird... I will let you know what the response is from the company.

I got a response stating that they fixed "the problem" and just to drop the cards off at the tour office. Be sure to send them an email asking about your cards. I didn't notice any names on the cards or documentation other than mine. It took several days for a response, but they did contact me. Good Luck!!!

ktkspider - We ordered ours online and received them within one week (we're in FL). I was really surprised we got them so quickly.

Try emailing copenhagencard@woco.dk That is the email address listed on the paperwork we received that says to contact them if we have any questions. Give them your booking number/confirmation number from when you ordered.

To answer your question, there are no names listed on the cards. They are blank, and you sign/date them at the first place you use them.

Good luck! I hope you get your cards soon! Have a fun trip.

Hello - We just returned from a short but wonderful visit in Copenhagen:)

I will have to save the walking tour you helped me plan for another day because it was cold and raining but a bus tour from the Marriott saved the day and we were able to see many sites - including the changing of the Guard with music.

Thank you so much for all of your help and a belated Happy Birthday:rolleyes:( I think you said it was in May?)

ktkspider - We ordered ours online and received them within one week (we're in FL). I was really surprised we got them so quickly.

Try emailing copenhagencard@woco.dk That is the email address listed on the paperwork we received that says to contact them if we have any questions. Give them your booking number/confirmation number from when you ordered.

To answer your question, there are no names listed on the cards. They are blank, and you sign/date them at the first place you use them.

Good luck! I hope you get your cards soon! Have a fun trip.

They have gotten back to me and this is what they said..

Dear XXXX Webb,

I have just checked your booking, and something has gone wrong, and they have been forwarded to a wrong address.

I will make sure that the 7 cards will be forwarded to the right address today, so you should receive them before your departure from the states.

Sorry for the mistake!

A big thank you to lwf99 for contacting about the extra tickets you recieved.. Probably made my situation much easier to resolve..:)

So happy you were able to solve your problem with your cards. Have a great trip! We leave in less than two weeks and have begun packing! If you have a child coming with you, then be sure to check out the dossiers under the thread for Baltics with 7 or 8 years. They are such a great idea that I made spy books for my boys and they are too excited about now going on the trip!

I found what the problem is. I think the author should have said Helsinki and not Copenhagen. Here is a picture of a monument in Helsinki...honoring a musician called Sibelius. Click here to see a photo of the monument

http://www.primetravels.com/PackageImages/697/helsinki_sibelius_monument.jpg

I take it back!! I went to Copenhagen city this weekend - and there IS a statue of a cigarette!! It's placed in Gråbrødre Torv - a square sorrounded by cafees right in the center of Copenhagen.

Arriving Thursday and will get to the Crown Plaza Hotel at around 2:30 ish.

Thursday afternoon - Take train to Christiana and spend the afternoon and have dinner there, back to the hotel by train.

Friday - Take train to Jewish Museum > Rosenberg Castle > Round Tower > Stroget > Tivoli > train back to hotel.

Saturday - Take train to National Museum > Amalienberg palace > Nyhavn > then back to hotel, get bags and take taxi to Pier 245 to be aty the boat by 4:00 ?

I would tryly appreciate your thoughts and if too much, what should we delete?

I think we should also get the Copenhagen card just for Friday and pay for what we do on Saturday ?

Thank you so much for all help. :)

Thursday afternoon - Take train to Christiana and spend the afternoon and have dinner there, back to the hotel by train.

Friday - Take train to Jewish Museum > Rosenberg Castle > Round Tower > Stroget > Tivoli > train back to hotel. You can walk to Tivoli & the Stroget from the hotel if it the Crown near the train station

Saturday - Take train to National Museum > Amalienberg palace > Nyhavn > then back to hotel, get bags and take taxi to Pier 245 to be aty the boat by 4:00 ?

What time does the ship sail? You want to be there at least 90 minutes prior to check in

There is a bus your can take to Nyhaven & walk around to the Palace from there

http://www.citycirkel.dk/en/city-sights.php

Thank you so much for all help. :)

Most places on you list you can walk to or take the bus

Check on the map for other locations

http://www.copenhagenet.dk/CPH-Map/CPH-Map.asp

http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/media%282505,1033%29/Kort.pdf

Copenhagen is very walkable

Thank you !!

So Thursday afternoon, all day Friday and 1/2 day Saturday ?

Thursday afternoon - Take the train to Christiana, spend the afternoon and have dinner there, back to the hotel by train.

Friday - Take train to Jewish Museum > Rosenberg Castle > Round Tower > Stroget > Tivoli > train back to hotel. You can walk to Tivoli & the Stroget from the hotel if it the Crown near the train station

What time does the ship sail? You want to be there at least 90 minutes prior to check in

There is a bus your can take to Nyhaven & walk around to the Palace from there

If mentioned prior, sorry I cannot find the information. We are arriving at CPH airport about 11 p.m. I am sure we want a taxi at that time of night to get quickly to the Scandic Front hotel at 21 Skt Anne Plads. Can anyone give a ballpark figure on what the taxi might cost one way?

Alice

Hello Experts,

My husband and I (in earl 40th) will be in Copenhagen on Sunday, 5/30/2010, from 9:30am to 5pm, Royal Caribbean Int.-Vision of the Seas.

We are intested in he following:

1. Tivoli -> would like to spend at least couple of hours there, sightseeing and people watch, taking pictures

2. Amalienborg Palace -> see the changing of the Queens Guard takes place every day at noon

3. Canal ride

4. Rosenborg castle -> if time permits

5. Other short stop for photos

Please advice:

a). Which cruie terminal for Royal Caribean, Vision of the Seas?

b). What transportation base on the itinerary above? ok for Sunday?

c). What order?

Thanks a lot,

Nancy

Archived