I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@ marazul

Selv Tak :D

It´s comments like that that makes me come back again and again to help you guys.

@ KerbyTex

I would go to Frederiksborg Slot on a saturday because the trains go every 10th minute instead of every 20th minute and the shops are also closed on a saturday so downtown Hillerød will probably feel a little bit dead.

With teens it would be best to be in Tivoli for atleast 3 hours and maybe some more time if you are planning on eating there.

Danish Viking, Once again, I am asking you, yet another question. I can not thank you enough for your advise. You are helping to make this trip to Copenhagen as stress free as possible by sharing with all of us your experiences. My question. We would like to try the famous Danish open face sandwich but I am not quite sure what is in it exactly. Today I read that you can choose over 50 herring toppings - yuck - do all of the sdn have fish in them. I am not a fish lover so I was hopping they would also have other choices. It is hard to find a site with English. Also, is there one or two places you like that we could try. We will be staying near Tivoli and have the CPH card. Thanks again, Sue

Danish Viking, Once again, I am asking you, yet another question. I can not thank you enough for your advise. You are helping to make this trip to Copenhagen as stress free as possible by sharing with all of us your experiences. My question. We would like to try the famous Danish open face sandwich but I am not quite sure what is in it exactly. Today I read that you can choose over 50 herring toppings - yuck - do all of the sdn have fish in them. I am not a fish lover so I was hopping they would also have other choices. It is hard to find a site with English. Also, is there one or two places you like that we could try. We will be staying near Tivoli and have the CPH card. Thanks again, Sue

What bliss :D we are very much looking forward to lots of herring ...

Danish Viking,

We are a group of six arriving three days before our cruise from the Pacific NW of the US. We wanted to have time to get over the jet lag and relax and enjoy ourselves before the cruise. We arrive mid day June 19th and board the NCL Sun mid day June 22nd. We probably will spend a full day seeing the sights in Copenhagen and are contemplating using the other full day to do a loop from Copenhagen - Malmo - Helsingborg, Sweden by trains, then by ferry to Helsingor with the train back to Copenhagen. We probably will use the other partial days around Copenhagen and thought at least one excursion into the surrounding countryside would be worth doing.

Is this plan a good use of our time or would you recommend a different excursion?

Thanks in advance.

Terry,

On several threads you have suggested walking to the cruise terminal dock. Were you docked at freeport? The NCL Sun is at freeport c254 and someone indicated that is 12-14 km from one of the downtown hotels. That's a bit more than a stroll, expecially with luggage. ;)

Thanks for the advice! We will take your suggestion and go to Frederiksborg Slot on Saturday. If we take the train at 9:00 am and plan to see the castle, chapel, and gardens; how much time should we budget? We are mainly asking if that takes the whole day or whether we can see other things when we return to CPH.

So much to see and so little time. Here is a list of what we would like to see. If you had to cut something out, what would it be (given we have 2 1/2 days:

Harbor Tour

Nyhavn (our hotel is there)

National Museum

Glyptotck

Amalienborg

Marble Church

Kastellet

Langelinie

Rosenborg Slot

Trivoli

Radhus/ Astronomical Clock

Frederiksborg Slot

:cool:

HI,

We're taking a cruise in July and we will be in Copenhagen for a few days before departure. There is this new hotel being built in Orestad, the Bella Sky, which I've learned is a short cab ride to downtown Copenhagen. What do you think of this area to stay in for a 2 nights. Is there anything to do in Orestad or must we cab it into town for dining and shopping? I really would appreciate any information you could give me before I make a hotel reservation. Thanks so much for your time. Sharon

Hello Danish Viking

Thank you for all your time and information you have provided on Copenhagen. Can you help me with this question please.

Will be on Ryndam ship arriving 6:00 pm on August 2 and staying overnight. I checked the port website and found we are docking at Freeport. Am hoping to take bus 26 to Tivoli for the night. Can we catch the bus right at Freeport terminal and do you know how late the bus runs ?

Thanks again for your help.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi! It is so nice of you to answer all these questions! My sister is cruising out of Copenhagen in May. Her flight home after the cruise leaves at 5:45 a.m. the day after she gets off the ship. She really doesn't want to book a motel room for just a few hours. Do you know if the airport stays open all night. Since she'll be expected to be at the airport by 3:00 a.m. or so, she is thinking about just spending at least some of the night there at the airport before her flight leaves. Is this allowed, or possible? Thanks for any help. :)

@ canadarocks

The restaurant is closed on saturdays, sundays and every public holiday so it should be open in july.

But Cafe Ketchup in Tivoli serves Ida Davidsens smørrebrød.

@ rdnpdx1

The distance i posted was from the Crowne Plaza hotel in Ørestad business district close to the airport.

@ Seasick Sally

The hotel is located next to a huge convention and congress center but if you take the metro and get of at Kongens Nytorv station you would be in downtown Copenhagen in no time.

Scandinavias largest shopping center fields is located close the hotel and there is also some world class architecture in the area, but if you can find a more centrally located hotel i think that it would be better

@ browneyes7

It is indeed possible to stay at the airport, many backpackers do this is completely normal to this.

To the others..

I will get back in a few days with a response.

"Seasick Sally

The hotel is located next to a huge convention and congress center but if you take the metro and get of at Kongens Nytorv station you would be in downtown Copenhagen in no time.

Scandinavias largest shopping center fields is located close the hotel and there is also some world class architecture in the area, but if you can find a more centrally located hotel i think that it would be better"

Thank you so much for your reply. We have made plans to stay closer to town, and not chance a late opening date at that hotel. Perhaps we will take a trip out there to see what's happening. You are so kind to take the time to answer, thanks again. Seasick Sally

@ canadarocks

The restaurant is closed on saturdays, sundays and every public holiday so it should be open in july.

@ rdnpdx1

The distance i posted was from the Crowne Plaza hotel in Ørestad business district close to the airport.

@ Seasick Sally

Scandinavias largest shopping center fields is located close the hotel and there is also some world class architecture in the area, but if you can find a more centrally located hotel i think that it would be better

@ browneyes7

It is indeed possible to stay at the airport, many backpackers do this is completely normal to this.

To the others..

Thank you Danish Viking for your help! :)

@ canadarocks

@ rdnpdx1

@ Seasick Sally

@ browneyes7

To the others..

Mange Tak, Danish Viking.

Haha how many spelling errors did i make last night.

Note to myself, don´t write in a foreign language when coming home after a 11 1/2 hour shift.

@ Canadarocks and Richw

I´m sorry for misleading you, the restaurant is indeed closed in july but then Cafe Ketchup in Tivoli is the way to go.

@ KerbyTex

I would allow for atleast 2 hours inside and outside the castle so if you leave Copenhagen at around 9 you will be back in Copenhagen around 14-15:00

It takes 55 minutes from the central station to the castle with bus 301 or 302 from Hillerød Station (the train trip takes 40 minutes).

But you will be cheating yourself for the beautiful walking tour along the castle lake and it only takes around 20 minutes from the station.

http://map.krak.dk/m/IHqEI

When you look for the castle garden on the map it is called Barokhaven (the Baroque Garden)

@ jayfan

The latest busses departs at 18:56 and 19:16 from Skudehavnsvej (the name of the bus stop closest to the pier.

On the way home you can take a northbound S-train (to Farum, Holte, Hillerød or Klampenborg) and get of at Nordhavn Station.

Your cruise ship should be visible from the platform.

Hi Danish Viking,

Our tour group is thinking of meeting up prior to our cruise in Tivoli Gardens at the Hotel Nimb in the evening. My question is do we pay the entrance fee into Tivoli Gardens to access the Hotel or is there an entrance where we can go in to meet and have a drink together. That way those who don't want to go into Tivoli dont have to.

As none of us have been there before any other thoughts of places that you might think would be a better option would be appreciated. Thank you Karen

We are staying at 71 Nyhavn the week-end before the cruise. We need a place to get our laundry done before getting on board. Is there a self service laundry close to the hotel?

There is a self srvice laundry on board the ship. The laundry room has soap and all necessary supplies in the machines. There is also a change machine, ironing board and iron. They have several and they are great!:)

Archived