I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@sansterre: I would believe, the best email address for DSB in this case is rejsebureau@dsb.dk since all international ticket sales are now handled through their travel agency.

OK, I will try that one too. I sent an email to the DV's and got a generic response. It gave me some sites to visit but all were in Danish. However there were some phone numbers listed to explore tomorrow.

Another option, perhaps, would be for my cousin to pick up the tickets in Sweden and mail them to me. I have explained my problem to her but she doesn't know much about train travel. That would be an option if I can pay for the tickets with my mastercard.

I wonder, if you know, what the procedure is to pick up at the SJ store by putting a number in the machine?

@sansterre: this is possible too. i checked, and apparently, you don't need the credit card to pick up the tickets, only a twelwe digit booking code that you type into the machine or hand to the clerk at the station. Most stations in Sweden have a ticket machine, and there are three at Copenhagen Central Station and one at Copenhagen Airport. This page shows all stations with a ticket machine: http://www.sj.se/content/1/c6/15/16/12/Biljettautomater%20101223.pdf?intcmp=127662 By the way, you actually can book the ticket from Østerport station on the Sj website. Just type in "Köbenhavn Österport" in the "from" field. You can copy from here. and choose Falkenberg station in the "to" field. Good luck!

Chrismo, Tak (again).

It is good to have this as a back-up plan. All I need to do is email my cousin the twelve digit code and have her mail the tickets to me. Seems simple enough! I saw all the cities listed on the website. Ullared, where my English speaking third or fourth-cousin lives, is not in the list. However Falkenberg is and a "lesser known" cousin lives there so that option remains possible.

Also, Ullared is not too far (only 30-40 minute drive) from Falkenberg.

I will work on the other phone# etc. tomorrow and let you and Danish Viking how things go.

@ mrspaper

All taxis take credit cards but show them to the driver before departure.

The price from the freeport terminal to the airport is around 250-300 DKK.

If you want to save some money you can purchase a 2 zone clipcard for 140 DKK for all 4 persons.

@ mrspaper

All taxis take credit cards but show them to the driver before departure.

The price from the freeport terminal to the airport is around 250-300 DKK.

If you want to save some money you can purchase a 2 zone clipcard for 140 DKK for all 4 persons.

I'm not familiar with a 2 zone clipcard. Is this something I can purchase for a taxi? Where do I purchase it?

DSB Rejsebureau's phone number is +45 70 13 14 18

I'm not sure what number to press. I tried 5, 1, 2, and 3

There was a man talking but I'm not sure what he said - something about ham perhaps? :-) Jambon? - maybe that is ham in french??

DV or Chrismo:

If you can, would you try the number and see what number I should select to get someone in ticketing, or someone in English?

TAK!

@sansterre: press 1, afterwards a voice asks you to have your credit card no. ready and you are put on hold.

I talked to a live man! He put me on hold for International tickets. This sounds promising;) but I am still on hold as I write this.

This may continue tomorrow! Stay tuned!

(continued from above)

Finally a woman answered who was very nice. Apparently they are extremely busy today because of a special offering to Germany.

Anyway, I told her the train I wanted. At first she didn't think Falkenberg was on the schedule, but then found it. The train I want in the morning they can't sell tickets to at all. The train in the evening, one of them should be available to sell, but wasn't yet. She suggested I call back Friday.

I then asked her if she could take Mastercard - that was no problem. Then I asked if she could mail the tickets to USA.

That presented a problem, but she finally said she could for an additional 175 DK. She also told me prices might go down, but could sell out. I thanked her for her help and said I might call back Friday.

Next I went to the SJ site. Since DSB could not book outgoing train ever, I decided to get that 12 digit number and have my cousin pick up the tickets and mail them to me. I couldn't get past the pay page. It says credit card, but then it asks for Debit Card information. (I don't have a debit card). It also asks for my country ID# which I presume is a social security number. The site says it is secured so perhaps that isn't a problem - just seemed strange as I rarely give that number to anyone due to possible identity theft.

Additionally I was puzzled with needing the name of person picking up tickets....and wondered if my cousin could actually do that....and transfer them to me. You don't suppose there is anything wrong in doing that, do you?

In the end, after about two hours, I cancelled and decided to contact my cousin. I will ask her if there is a SJ in her town and also ask for an English contact for SJ train that she can give me to make sure we do this best possible way.

The saga continues.

sansterre,

have you tried raileurope.com? It seems they will mail the tickets to the US. Prices are about the same as buying from SJ.

Our tickets are not yet available, but I plan to use them rather than going directly to SJ.

sansterre,

have you tried raileurope.com? It seems they will mail the tickets to the US. Prices are about the same as buying from SJ.

Our tickets are not yet available, but I plan to use them rather than going directly to SJ.

sansterre,

here is a follow up. I booked my trip in raileurope.com even though it is too early (more than 90 days). They replied and said they would hold my reservation and issue the tickets at the right time and send them to me by UPS. They will not charge the credit card until they issue the tickets. They even gave me the exact date when they would issue and send the tickets.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

You have been most helpful and we are pleased to learn that CPH is very clean and safe. We have heard that pickpockets are a problem, particularly around Tivioli and the Central Station. Are we needlessly concerned?

@sansterre:

Did you succeed getting tickets? If not I work right next to DSB Rejsebureau and I can pop by to ask about options and possibilities. By the way, you are absolutely not in a hurry with these tickets. Normally, Danish State Railway opens ticket sales two months before departure and almost nobody thinks about getting tickets earlier than that, I can guarantee you that they will not sell out!

@ cruisinlivin

The Square, Imperial, Radisson Blu Royal, Scandic Palace Hotel and Copenhagen Plaza is all located in the downtown area.

@ KerbyTex

pickpockets are a problem in all european city´s because of the damned Roma people but i don´t think its any worse than any other city.

UPDATE:

raileurope.com - they are not currently selling tickets for these trips, but asked for my email to let me know when the tickets are for sale. I was able to put in both stations so I think it may work :-) I tried earlier dates to get an idea of the prices, but could not get any rates to come up even for travel in April....that could indicate a problem :-(

MARAZUL: Menge tak for the Rail Europe. Where is your travel? Does it go to a foreign country, or within Denmark and/or Danish train? Apparently there is sales seperation for Sweden and Denmark travel.

DSB - E-mailed several times with a helpful woman at DSB who suggested I wait until June 10th and simply buy the tickets then. She said they take mastercard and there shouldn't be a problem getting on the trains I want. She said they do not sell tickets for the Swedish train and was not sure how SJ handle the ticketing.

CHRISMO: I appreciate your offer, but I'll wait a few weeks and see what I hear from raileurope.com I sense you are right as somewhere else I read something about 60 days out. I can also call them in a few weeks. Worse comes to worse, we can get to Osterport station early for the 10:30 train and hope for the best.

QUESTION FOR ALL/ANYONE: Do you use Euros in Denmark? We will be coming from Netherlands and Germany where I believe they do. How about Norway, if you know? I don't think Sweden uses Euros, but not sure.

Archived