I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Can anyone tell me about a walking tour that leaves from the train station that is led by a costumed Hans Christian Andersen guide?

We will be in Copenhagen for the morning only after a cruise and then to the airport for an afternoon flight.

Any other suggestions will be helpful. We leave tomorrow and we just found out about this walking tour. We also plan to leave our luggage at the station so this tour sounds convenient.

Can anyone tell me about a walking tour that leaves from the train station that is led by a costumed Hans Christian Andersen guide?

We will be in Copenhagen for the morning only after a cruise and then to the airport for an afternoon flight.

Any other suggestions will be helpful. We leave tomorrow and we just found out about this walking tour. We also plan to leave our luggage at the station so this tour sounds convenient.

Here is the link to his site and the tour leaves from the tourist centre which I believe is not far from the train station http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/ph_timetable.htm

Hi bigwally, first of all thank you for taking your time out to respond to the many requests that you have responded to. I think by reading through your thread that I have got sufficient info to plan our day in Copenhagen. Just to be sure, can you confirm that I can take the 26 bus from langelinie pier to Tivoli then after I leave tivoli I can cross the road to Gammel Strand where I can take a 60 minute canal boat ride? Its just that I could not see Gammel Strand on map http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/cont...1033)/Kort.pdf

I see from the DFDS site that the price of an adult ticket for the canal trip is only DKK 60. Is this the current price as it seems quite inexpensive ( cheap) to me. Also finally do you know the bus fare to Tivoli and can you get a ticket on the bus or do you have to go to a machine at the pier. Also I take it I will be able to return to the pier on the 26 bus leaving from gammel strand or Tivoli. Is City hall in this area too? I really do appreciate you help. Bless you

Gammel Strand is actually about 4 blocks from Tivoli. The street 'Nybrogade' turns into 'Gammel Strand'. It is the next street up from 'Stormbroen', which is called 'Stormgrade' near from Tivoli.

So the easiest way to find it (on a map or in person) is to locate the south east corner of Tivoli and you'll be at the corner of 'HC Andersen Blvd.' and 'Tietgensgade'. Cross the street to the east and 'Tietgensgade' turns into 'Stormgrade'. Take that to 'Fredriksholms Canal' street, turn left, and 'Nybrogade' will be the first right.

You can take the 26 bus to and from Tivoli. City Hall is just to the east of Tivoli. I have no information on how to buy bus tickets, unfortunately - we had the CPH card, which covered our public transport costs.

As to whether you can get the DFDS canal tour from Gammel Strand, I don't have a clue sorry. The boat we took originated at Nyhavn. The full fare was DDK60, though we also got a discount of DDK15 with the CPH card.

Gammel Strand is actually about 4 blocks from Tivoli. The street 'Nybrogade' turns into 'Gammel Strand'. It is the next street up from 'Stormbroen', which is called 'Stormgrade' near from Tivoli.

So the easiest way to find it (on a map or in person) is to locate the south east corner of Tivoli and you'll be at the corner of 'HC Andersen Blvd.' and 'Tietgensgade'. Cross the street to the east and 'Tietgensgade' turns into 'Stormgrade'. Take that to 'Fredriksholms Canal' street, turn left, and 'Nybrogade' will be the first right.

You can take the 26 bus to and from Tivoli. City Hall is just to the east of Tivoli. I have no information on how to buy bus tickets, unfortunately - we had the CPH card, which covered our public transport costs.

As to whether you can get the DFDS canal tour from Gammel Strand, I don't have a clue sorry. The boat we took originated at Nyhavn. The full fare was DDK60, though we also got a discount of DDK15 with the CPH card.

Thank you so much. I am sure I will be able follow your directions once I am there. According to their site DFDS leave from Nyhavn and Gammel Strand. Is Nyhavn on the 26 bus route as well as we may go from there and then take the bus from Nyhavn into the city. Is it far from the pier to Nyhavn?

Thank you so much. I am sure I will be able follow your directions once I am there. According to their site DFDS leave from Nyhavn and Gammel Strand. Is Nyhavn on the 26 bus route as well as we may go from there and then take the bus from Nyhavn into the city. Is it far from the pier to Nyhavn?

Yes, the 26 bus does go to Nyhavn - you'll want to get off at Kongens Nytorv. Nyhavn is not a massive walk from Langelinie, but I suppose that depends on individual stamina - I know my wife would prefer the bus, while I'd be equally happy to walk.

Incidentally, if you were to stay on the bus you'd also pass the DFDS departure point on Gammel Strand, although you'd be on the other side of the canal, on 'Vindebrograde' (the street that eventually becomes 'Stormgade' when you get closer to Tivoli).

Yes, the 26 bus does go to Nyhavn - you'll want to get off at Kongens Nytorv. Nyhavn is not a massive walk from Langelinie, but I suppose that depends on individual stamina - I know my wife would prefer the bus, while I'd be equally happy to walk.

Incidentally, if you were to stay on the bus you'd also pass the DFDS departure point on Gammel Strand, although you'd be on the other side of the canal, on 'Vindebrograde' (the street that eventually becomes 'Stormgade' when you get closer to Tivoli).

Again my thanks for your help. I believe, depending on the weather we may walk to Nyhavn, do the Canal trip then either walk or take the bus to tivoli and city centre. By the time we wait for a bus and with all passengers disembarking it may be quicker anyway. Take care and I hope everybody appreciates your help on this thread as much as I do.

LOL, yes, i saw that on the link too.

if you are out for a total splurge and want a bit of 'bragging rights' then it may be worth it to take cab over to IDA DAVIDSON's. (you may need reservations). That is the longest continually operating "sandwich shop" in CPH and serves a variety of over 300 Danish smorrebrod (the open sandwiches).

literally though, you can find a smorrebrod at most any decent cafe along town.

Here is a good website/review for eating in Denmark:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/09/AR2007030900727.html

Hi, I was looking at the article from the post but the restaurants they mention are a little expensive for us to grab some lunch. Is there anything cheaper to eat open-face sandwiches?

Hi, I was looking at the article from the post but the restaurants they mention are a little expensive for us to grab some lunch. Is there anything cheaper to eat open-face sandwiches?

We ate at the kiosks in front of City hall but did not notice if they had open faced sandwiches there .

Reasonable priced food/drink though

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess August 14th. We arrive in CPH the morning of the 13th and staying at the Hilton at the airport. (Using HH points).

Since we have so little time to visit CPH, we don't plan to board the Emerald Princess until after 2 or 3 on the 14th. That morning we want to check out and go into the city center for more touring. We have a 24 hour CPH Card.

Should we have the Hilton hold our bags until we return in the early afternoon and take a taxi from the hotel to pier? Or, should we take our bags to the Central Train Station lockers that morning and then take taxi from there to the pier in afternoon?

My thinking is that if we activate our cards by noon of the 13th they will have expired before we head back to the hotel for luggage and we'll have to pay for the train/metro trip. Also, the hotel has baggage holding vs cost of luggage lockers.

Just trying to figure out the easiest (less hassled) and least costly way to do this!

Any advise much appreciated!

Debbie

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess August 14th. We arrive in CPH the morning of the 13th and staying at the Hilton at the airport. (Using HH points).

Since we have so little time to visit CPH, we don't plan to board the Emerald Princess until after 2 or 3 on the 14th. That morning we want to check out and go into the city center for more touring. We have a 24 hour CPH Card.

Should we have the Hilton hold our bags until we return in the early afternoon and take a taxi from the hotel to pier? Or, should we take our bags to the Central Train Station lockers that morning and then take taxi from there to the pier in afternoon?

My thinking is that if we activate our cards by noon of the 13th they will have expired before we head back to the hotel for luggage and we'll have to pay for the train/metro trip. Also, the hotel has baggage holding vs cost of luggage lockers.

Just trying to figure out the easiest (less hassled) and least costly way to do this!

Any advise much appreciated!

Debbie

One 24-hour CPH card would cost you DKK 225, two would cost you DKK 450. Instead, you could buy a 10-trip 3-zoner card (DKK 130) which could be shared with your partner (I assume there are 2 in your party).

The least expensive way to go from airport to the ship is to take the train from the airport to Central Station, then transfer to Nordhavn. After that would be a 20-min walk.

Alternatively, transfer to Bus 26 direction "Færgehavn Nord" and then 10-min walk.

I would prefer to leave the luggage at the hotel (obviously less hassle). But if time is really critical, then you could store your luggage at the Central Station (so that you avoid the trip back to the airport on the next day).

Hope this helps.

Sam

I plan to add a few days in Denmark at the end of our cruise. If we want to tour Sealand, do you recommend driving or the S-train/busses?

The City of Copenhagen itself is very walkable. Indeed, the car may not be useful to you if you plan to go the pedestrian street, the gardens, and the museums.

The car may be useful only if you plan to go for excursions in other towns.

Hi,

I apologize if this is already somewhere else in this thread - my search didn't turn it up. Does anyone know of some good things to do in Copenhagen before 10am? Our ship is docking there at 7am, and I don't want to waste valuable touring time waiting for the sights to open.

Thanks for your help/advice!

Archived