I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

I am back from a Baltic cruise that started in Copenhagen & want to thank the contributors to this thread especially CruisinEurope

and Danish viking for helping us have a great visit.

We spent 3 full days & 3 nights in Copenhagen & it was fantastic – a highlight of the trip. We could have spent longer even though it is a relatively small city.

Almost everything we did was stimulated by suggestions on this thread.

It started with a hot dog. We were so excited to try the famous Copenhagen hot dogs that we had our first (of several) in baggage claim at the Copenhagen airport while we waited for our luggage. It’s a good thing we don’t serve then that way where I live or I would eat too many. I never got to the chocolate milk to accompany it since that seemed like a waste of a fluid intake opportunity, especially given the hot, sunny weather.

Our next good decision was to purchase the 72 hour Copenhagen card. I am sure we saved money, but the good thing was we did not have to ask ourselves at each opportunity, “Is it worth it to buy an admission ticket?”

We especially enjoyed using the card to go into Tivoli all three evenings. It is a magical place. We did not ride any rides, but really enjoyed watching people have fun & listening to/watching the musical performances at the different venues.

On our first full day, we did the Hans Christian Anderson walk in the morning. It was o.k. Then we made our only mistake. We took the “bargain” canal ride that starts at the Holmens Kirke. A canal tour is a great way to see the city; however, our “guide” could not have been less interested. She only made about half the announcements in English & had to read several of them. She was primarily focused on applying suntan lotion & talking with the driver. If I had to do it again, I would choose the higher priced option. We also toured Christianborg.

On day 2, we took the train options as described in these threads to visit the Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød and the Kronborg/Hamlet Castle in Helsingør. We even followed the advice to buy the ice cream in Helsingør. In an effort to manage our calorie intake, we attempted to skip the whipped cream & strawberry preserves on top. Fortunately, the very nice lady behind the counter insisted we get it. We should never have even thought about skipping it. The Frederiksborg Castle was special although I am glad we did this BEFORE St. Petersburg. It was a full day & the Copenhagen Card made it relatively inexpensive.

On day 3, we followed the advice to start in the morning with a tour of Rosenborg Palace & continued to Amalienborg Castle for the changing of the guard. We then had a great lunch at the Carlsberg Glyptotek and did a quick walk through of the museum.

Of course, we did our fair share of walking around Nyhavn, the Stroget, and Town Hall Square.

We look forward to another visit to this city.

Great review.....where did you stay in Copenhagen?

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi,

Our ship is due to dock in Copenhagen at 7:00 AM at the end of our cruise.

Can you tell me if I would be safe in booking a flight that departs at 11:25 AM? The only alternative is a flight that does not leave Copenhagen until late evening.

How far is it from the cruise dock to the airport? Are taxis readily available at the dock?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but this thread is so long that I could not read it all!

Thanks! :)

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi I will be in Cph next August for 2 nites pre cruise. I would like to visit the Viking Museum. How do I get there? I am staying at the Square Hotel. Thank you

@ Celle

if you can get a cap no later than 8:30, you will be at the airport just before 9 but i can't remember the Check-in times for non Schengen flights.

@ JERMEY

You just walk around Tivoli and take a train from the Central Station heading for Roskilde, Holb?k, Kalunborg, Nykøbing F, and so on, the trip takes aprox. 25 minutes.

But do not take a Intercity Train because it will cost you more money and you will only get to Roskilde 2 or 3 minutes before or not even stop there.

From the station in Roskilde you can walk to the museum in 20-30 minutes or take bus number 216 and 607 that goes to the marina and viking museum.

http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk

@ Celle

if you can get a cap no later than 8:30, you will be at the airport just before 9 but i can't remember the Check-in times for non Schengen flights.

Thanks for this.

We're just flying with easyJet back to London (Gatwick), so probably 2 hours should be sufficient.

Celle

Hello and thank you for all of your info on Copenhagen. I have a feeling you have already answered this, but I need some hotel recommendations.

I have looked at the location of the 71 Nyhavn, and really like the location, but it is a bit pricey. I love the idea of being on the water to watch the boats and close to being able to walk outside in the evning to take a canal ride.

DO you have some suggestions or an agent who can help me with the reservation?

Do you recommend the Sofitel or Admiral?

Thank you so much. Please e-mail me, if you wish, at seven1113@yahoo.com, I will look for mail with Copenhagen hotels or something like that in the address line. Thank you so much.

Carolyn

DO you have some suggestions or an agent who can help me with the reservation?

Thank you so much. Please e-mail me, if you wish, at seven1113@yahoo.com, I will look for mail with Copenhagen hotels or something like that in the address line. Thank you so much.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Two comments here. First, it is against the Community Guidelines to recommend travel agents. Second, Cruise Critic prefers that its members share information on the boards rather than through personal e-mails so that everyone can benefit from the experience of others.

If anyone has some advice (other than an agent recommendation) for Carolyn, please post it here.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Karen.

Very sorry about the incorrect posting. What I am doing is just trying to look for a good hotel suggestion. Thanks for the heads up and I will not do it again.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Two comments here. First, it is against the Community Guidelines to recommend travel agents. Second, Cruise Critic prefers that its members share information on the boards rather than through personal e-mails so that everyone can benefit from the experience of others.

If anyone has some advice (other than an agent recommendation) for Carolyn, please post it here.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Hotels are a pricey here in Copenhagen unless you take the cheap discount hotels like Danhostel, Cab inn and Wake Up, but they usually have a not so good location.

Regarding the choice of Sofitel or Admiral i do think that it is the same standart but look at hotels.com or tripadvicer.com for reviews of the places.

Hotels are a pricey here in Copenhagen unless you take the cheap discount hotels like Danhostel, Cab inn and Wake Up, but they usually have a not so good location.

Regarding the choice of Sofitel or Admiral i do think that it is the same standart but look at hotels.com or tripadvicer.com for reviews of the places.

Hello,

Thank you for your help. Will look today.

Carolyn

I read in another thread that The Little Mermaid will be out of town from May1 to sometime in October. She's going to be loaned to China. True?

Also, any thoughts on taking the Hans Christen Anderson tour ( http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm ). I've read only one report on this tour and it was a good one. Your thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all-I am new here but have read the last few pages. This may have been covered but I need to ask. We want to fly in a few days before our cruise to see Copenhagen and wondered how many days we should allow to cover the major sites? We are active/high energy travelers and are not afraid to drive or do public transportation which ever is more intelligent for the situation. I am more concerned about settling the time factor now but will look over the thread for hotel advice later.

Oh, by the way...regarding the question of geography in US schools??? I know they cover it to some extent in the public schools but recently had more experiences with the college level. My son registered for a total of 9 hours of geography last year hoping to cover countries, etc... Turns out that the entire class was on religious, language, weather, and political geography. So now he can discuss rainfall of any particular area of the world but may not know the capital of Luxemborg:eek:

I just found this thread and will go to page 1 and begin reading. We're sailing on the Vision of the Seas on Sept 4, 2010 sailing from Copenhagen (We're actually doing 3 B2B's). This will be our first European cruise and we need all the help we can get. Thanks to all in advance. And now to begin reading.

Lynn

I just found this thread and will go to page 1 and begin reading. We're sailing on the Vision of the Seas on Sept 4, 2010 sailing from Copenhagen (We're actually doing 3 B2B's). This will be our first European cruise and we need all the help we can get. Thanks to all in advance. And now to begin reading.

Lynn

I have read this thread from beginning to end and have found a lot of info about Copenhagen. We are staying 2 1/2 days pre-cruise and an afternoon after the cruise in August. I have devised a self-guided walking tour instead of taking a city tour combined with HoHo bus that was originally planned. So with the help of a lot of people and an interactive map I found online I now have a free tour.

Wow-I am impress with both of you. I need to do the same, but then I don't sail until 2011 so there is plenty of time.

Celyvabeach-any possibility of your sharing your devised itinerary? We are do it yourself kind of people when possible because we prefer to spend time where we want and move through things when we are bored. We pretty much did what you are doing in Rome last year and we loved our time there.

Wow-I am impress with both of you. I need to do the same, but then I don't sail until 2011 so there is plenty of time.

Celyvabeach-any possibility of your sharing your devised itinerary? We are do it yourself kind of people when possible because we prefer to spend time where we want and move through things when we are bored. We pretty much did what you are doing in Rome last year and we loved our time there.

Will share as soon as I get the itinerary straight. I'm still making changes.

I read in another thread that The Little Mermaid will be out of town from May1 to sometime in October. She's going to be loaned to China. True?

Also, any thoughts on taking the Hans Christen Anderson tour ( http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm ). I've read only one report on this tour and it was a good one. Your thoughts?

...and here is some additional information. I got this at http://www.copenhagenpictures.dk/mermaid.html

Guide tip: The Little Mermaid will be travelling and away from her usual location between April 2010 and February 2011 - she will be at the Danish pavillion at the World Fair in Shanghai, China. However, the sculptor Edvard Erichsen made 2 identical Little Mermaids, one of which is in the posession of his family, and Little Mermaid no. 2 will be on display in Tivoli Gardens while her sister is in Shanghai. To see The Little Mermaid between April 2010 and February 2011 go to Tivoli Gardens during its summer and Halloween opening hours in 2010.

Will share as soon as I get the itinerary straight. I'm still making changes.

Thanks-As I said, we don't go for another year but the planning is half the fun for me. I'll take what you share and tweak it to our tastes. On our Med cruise last year, a couple of our favorite sites/things were ones that we found out about on CC but never would have gone to without someone else bringing them to my attention.

I have read all this great info, THANK YOU!!!, now a question. I plan to buy my 10 trip 3 zone klippcort at the airport to use for 4 of us. I will clip it 4 times. Question: how long is the 1 clip valid, 1 hour, 2 hours? we hoped to travel airport to hotel by the train station, get rid of luggage, then travel to nyhavn all on 1 clip. Possible? or does it expire in 1 hour? thanks again for all the great advice.

Archived