I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello there and thank you so much for the help.

Carolyn

@ Brandysmommy

The open air museum (frilandsmuseet) is located 600 meters from Sorgenfri station.

Tivoli is located next door to the central station (København H) so you just hit track 9 and 10 and jump on S-train line B towards Holte and get off at Sorgenfri.

Just turn right when you come up from the station on the road Skovbrynet and follow it under the freeway until you reach Kongevejen.

Then you turn left on Kongevejen and it will soon appear on your right hand.

But please notice that there also is a station called Skovbrynet but it's on another line.

@ seven1113

Many users on this board has approved the hotel and the location is almost perfect for touring downtown Copenhagen.

If you come from the airport you can just take the Metro line M2 to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the hotel from there.

Seven, is hotel name just Bethel? I was looking at Hotels.com and couldn't find it.

Danish Viking, what do you think about hotels near the Central Station? I'll need to get back to the airport a couple of times to pick up friends coming on later days. The location seems pretty central to both the S train and the metro and it looks close to many things.

@ brandysmommy

The trip to Sorgenfri takes 23 minutes from the central station and it goes every 10th minute in the daytime from monday to saturday, but only between aprox 10:00 and around 15:00 at saturdays.

In the early morning and after aprox. 19:00 on weekdays, 15:00 on saturdays and all day at sundays it goes every 20th minutes.

@ Harry Cane

Just look at http://www.hotel-bethel.dk and you will find all the info.

If you want a good hotel located close to the central station i can suggest The Square, SAS Radisson, Hotel Imperial and Hotel Astoria that is located closest to the central station.

The low price hotels in the area is Cab-inn City behind Tivoli and Wake Up that is located in the new Tivoli Congress Center together with a new quality hotel that hasn't opened yet.

@ Harry Cane

Just look at www.hotel-bethel.dk and you will find all the info.

If you want a good hotel located close to the central station i can suggest The Square, SAS Radisson, Hotel Imperial and Hotel Astoria that is located closest to the central station.

The low price hotels in the area is Cab-inn City behind Tivoli and Wake Up that is located in the new Tivoli Congress Center together with a new quality hotel that hasn't opened yet.

Tak!

Thank you so much for your help. CruiseCritic Message boards are always invaluable.

Can you tell me more about the buses? How much do they cost; do they only accept exact change? Would I be better off purchasing the CPH Card in advance (which would include admission to Tivoli and the Gypotek)?

I don't think anyone ever asked you this: We wish to go to Edinburgh (one-way) when our cruise ends at Copenhagen in July. Is Norwegian Air legitimate and one that Americans can consider? They are priced far less than SAS or BMI. Are they poor with customer service, like RyanAir? I see they charge for baggage. I don't want to enter into something that I shouldn't just to save a little money.

Sherry

I don't think anyone ever asked you this: We wish to go to Edinburgh (one-way) when our cruise ends at Copenhagen in July. Is Norwegian Air legitimate and one that Americans can consider? They are priced far less than SAS or BMI. Are they poor with customer service, like RyanAir? I see they charge for baggage. I don't want to enter into something that I shouldn't just to save a little money.

Sherry

Passenger reviews at http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/norwegian.htm

Simon

@ amgrumpy

Well what do you want to see, there are lots of things to do in Copenhagen, i could make a suggestion but i would most likely shoot in the dark as we say in Denmark.

If you look just 5-10 pages back you will probably find something that you want to see.

aok.dk has a good guide to Copenhagen's many restaurants, but yet again tell me what type of food you like and price range and i can give you some recomment's.

@ Harry Cane

Selv tak.

@ swifs

The bus driver will accept small notes if you decide to buy a single but i'm guessing that it is out of the question, because you will have to buy a Cph Card or a City pass at the Tourist office at Langelinie pier.

The CPH Card is only a good option if you are planning on seeing alot, try to do a math of the entrance fee's and transportation and see what is cheapest.

The City Pass that cost 70 dkk will give you unlimited transportation in central Copenhagen for 24 hours versus the CPH Card that is priced at 225 dkk (229 dkk after april 1th)

So if the entrance fee's are higher that 159 i will suggest a CPH Card.

@ Sherry Baby

I have no personal experience with Norwegian, but i can only say good things about SAS because they had a good service on their flights to Stuttgart and Stockholm.

My ancestors come from the area around Grasten. I would like to visit the Flensborg Fjord area for a day---from Copenhagen. What is the best way to get there? We would prefer to go by public transportation, but have had no luck on the RailEurope website. We are hoping to contact distant relatives. I think they would meet us at a train station and show us around. We will rent a car for the journey if public transportation is very difficult, but a train or bus would be more relaxing.

You would have to take a Intercity train towards Sønderborg and after 3 hours and 27 minutes you are in Gråsten.

The train will depart at 05:30, 07:30, 09:30 from the central station (København H) and so on every second hour.

From Gråsten the direct train back to Copenhagen goes at 16:12, 18:12 and 20:12, the last one at 22:12 is including a chance of train in Fredericia.

The trip home takes 3 hours and 37 minutes and the one at 20:12 takes 3:43 for some odd reason.

But don't ask me why the trip is 10 minutes longer on the way back.

If you decide to take the last one home it will include a 29 minute waiting time in Fredericia and you will be back in Copenhagen at 02:36 but if you take the one at 20:12 you will be back at 23:55.

We are disembarking in Copenhagen and taking a cruise line's tour, which ends at the airport. We will be given a quick tour of Copenhagen, and then spend a few hours on our own at Tivoli Gardens.

I am at a loss to know how much local currency I should have for that day. We will just need money for a beverage or two and perhaps a bite to eat. Between being unfamiliar with the Danish krone and the prices in Copenhagen (which I understand are quite high) I really need some guidance.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! :)

You would have to take a Intercity train towards Sønderborg and after 3 hours and 27 minutes you are in Gråsten.

The train will depart at 05:30, 07:30, 09:30 from the central station (København H) and so on every second hour.

From Gråsten the direct train back to Copenhagen goes at 16:12, 18:12 and 20:12, the last one at 22:12 is including a chance of train in Fredericia.

The trip home takes 3 hours and 37 minutes and the one at 20:12 takes 3:43 for some odd reason.

But don't ask me why the trip is 10 minutes longer on the way back.

If you decide to take the last one home it will include a 29 minute waiting time in Fredericia and you will be back in Copenhagen at 02:36 but if you take the one at 20:12 you will be back at 23:55.

Mange tak, Danish Viking. This is exactly the information we need. No need to rent a car if we can get good transportation via trains. We are 61 and 62. Is that old enough for senior rates? It is unfortunate that I do not read Dansk, since the dsb website only gives corporate information in English---as far as I can see. You are MUCH more help.

@ Paula48

You have to be 65 to get the senior rate but most of the time you can get a cheap ticket called Orange, i can see what discouts there are if you tell me when you are planing on doing this.

But try to avoid traveling on fridays and sundays because many students, soldiers and so on are traveling home for the weekend and back again when the weekend ends, and therefore you can't get a good discount on these day.

@ High C's

If you avoid the pricy Tivoli restaurant's you can get a decent meal (hotdog and and other fastfood) and a cola or a beer for around 70-100 dkk.

@ cruisesusie

There are always taxi's available at both the freeport terminal and at Langelinie cruise pier.

I have only seen the Hoho busses at Langelinie but check out sightseeing.dk for further information.

Danish Viking, you are the best. I tried the dsb website again and I saw the Orange ticket listed, but had no idea what it was. I did not see the scheduled times that you mentioned, and the actual journeys were all a lot longer--like 5 hours and more! (Obviously I am doing something wrong.) I will very much appreciate your help when I start the booking process. I believe it is too early now to book for September, is that right?

We will arrive in Copenhagen about 07:30 on Saturday, September 4 and leave on the 7th, so our trip to Grasten will have to be on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I guess I will have to leave the date up to my distant cousins.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. You have already been a great help. :D

Paula

We are arriving in Copenhagen on May 13--Thurs, 2010 aboard NCL Sun. We have a day on Copenhagen and since we have been there several times, we would like to first go to Frederiksborg Castle. I see a post about the 24 hr card that would cover the cost of the S-train. What is the cost of that card for Sr. citizens? and does it include local transportation to and from the port to the train station? What about cost of the museum? and other sites in town like Thorvaldsen's and RoundTower?

Thank you for your reply.

Alawman's wife

We are arriving in Copenhagen on May 13--Thurs, 2010 aboard NCL Sun. We have a day on Copenhagen and since we have been there several times, we would like to first go to Frederiksborg Castle. I see a post about the 24 hr card that would cover the cost of the S-train. What is the cost of that card for Sr. citizens? and does it include local transportation to and from the port to the train station? What about cost of the museum? and other sites in town like Thorvaldsen's and RoundTower?

Thank you for your reply.

Alawman's wife

Read this:

http://online.citybreak.com/Search/Other/SearchOther.aspx?pdid=4525&onlineid=1459618727&culture=en

@ Paula48

The timetable is from page 38 to 41 in this pdf file.

http://www.dsb.dk/Global/PDF/Koereplaner/Intercity/K10/InterCity%20M65%20-til%20internettet-.pdf

But you can only book a ticket 3 months before.

If you can avoid Sunday and take the trip Saturday or Monday it would be the best.

I just looked at a random monday and the cheap price at 139 dkk was only for the early 05:30 or the late 11:30 departure.

The better departure times at 07:30 and 09:30 is at the normal price at 364 dkk

On the way home it looks better

The 18:12 departure is at 229 dkk and the 20:12 is at 139 dkk.

These prices includes a seat reservation and they are only valid for that departure so if you miss it you have to buy a new ticket for the next departure.

Also important to know is that you have to buy them online or book them on the phone.

The phone number (0045) 70 13 14 15 has a english option if you dial 3 after calling up the number.

Then you will get a reservation code that is valid for 14 days that you just show at the ticket office at the train station.

@ alawman

All transportation is covered with this card, Train (not Intercity Train to Roskilde) S-train, Metro, Busses and Water busses.

The list with free entrance is here

http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/content/turist/hvad_sker_der_i_byen/cphcard/hvad_er_inkluderet/gratis

The list with only discounts are here

http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/content/turist/hvad_sker_der_i_byen/cphcard/hvad_er_inkluderet/rabat

@ pmat

That is hard to say if i don´t know the pier your ship is at or wich day your ship departure.

There are 3 cruise piers, Nordre Toldbod, Langelinie pier and the Freeport Terminal.

Normally you can take bus number 26 but it don´t reach the Freeport terminal in the weekend and it does not reach Nordre Toldbod at all.

To Nordre Toldbod you can use bus number 15 or 1A towards Østerbro, Ryparken or Hellerup st. and get off at Esplanaden/Grønningen and walk from there.

http://map.krak.dk/m/p9GN6

All the busses are going from Kongen Nytorv/Magasin

http://map.krak.dk/m/p9G4p

Also waterbus 901 from Nyhavn reach Nordre Toldbod

If you need to get to Freeport Terminal in the weekend you just take the Metro Line M1 or M2 from Kongens Nytorv towards Vanløse and get off at Nørreport Station.

From here you take a S-train heading north towards Klampenborg, Holte, Hillerød or Farum and get off at Nordhavn Station.

From here you can see the cruiseships but you need to walk a little bit.

http://map.krak.dk/m/p9GLH

We will be arriving at CPH airport on the Sunday and our NCL ship leaves on the Tuesday. I've read a lot of your posts and have settled on either Adina Apt. Hotel or Copenhagen Admiral Hotel to stay at. We will definitely buy the 72 hour CPH card as you've recommended.

My question is how do we get from the airport to our hotel? There is no shuttle offered. We only speak English and are concerned about getting lost.:o Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.\

Thanks in advance.

Admiral is located in walking distance from Kongens Nytorv Metro station that you can reach from the airport in around 15 minutes.

Adina is located close to the DFDS ferry terminal, a shuttle bus 20E (only between 14:00 and 17:00) and bus number 26 will get you closest to the hotel and it's reached from Central Station, Kongens Nytorv Metro station or Østerport station.

You can also walk from Østerport to the hotel in 10 minutes time.

The Central Station and Østerport is served by the airport train so there is no need to change train to get there.

Btw, most danish people talks and understand english so you can always ask for help or directions

I would like to do a canal tour, bus tour, and the Danish Design Center. Other ideas are the zoo and kayaking, would like some danish museums. Want to find unique danish historical and cultural things to do.

We like all types of food but naturally want to try a typical danish restaurant so that we could sample some of the great danish food. Any good suggestions? Price range is hard to say but let's go with up to $100 US dollars (545 DKK) for 2.

Hope this helps. I will check out the guide you mentioned.

Thanks for the directions. I was looking for The Palace Hotel and found the Scandic Palace Hotel is that the same one because nothing came up for the Palace Hotel.

Is it worth the price difference between the Adina Apartment Hotel and the Square Hotel just to be closer? I take it you can walk from the Square Hotel to everything but not from the Adina?

Thanks

Archived