Eden Rock or Sunset House?

Grits53

Which would be the best place for two 50-somethings to go for a leisurely snorkel? We've snorkeled 3 or 4 times before, but we're still fairly new to this. We've done the Stingray City excursions twice, and while we love the stingrays, we just want to do some snorkeling from shore at our own pace this time. It would be nice not to be elbow to elbow with a bunch of other snorkelers as you are in an excursion. We have our own snorkels but would need to rent a vest and fins. Thanks for your input! :)

Eden Rock was wonderful. (At least that is what I think they call where we were. About 3 or 4 hundered yards south of the tender dock). We were there on a cruise in the February time frame and we were the only ones in the water. I don't know how it would be any other time of the year, but the area that we were snorkleing in was very expansive and could accommodate hundereds of people with no one being even close to one another. Don't count on laying on the beach there. It is almost all very sharp coral from the road to the water. But for under-sea life it was great.

I also wanted to add....

You have your own mask and snorkle. Go get your own fins. You can get them to fit better and you will always have them. As for the vest? I spend more time on the bottom than I do on the surface, so I never thought about using one. But I do use a wet suit which gives just a bit more boyancy than without one. When we started out snorkling with my boys at about 8 and 10 years old we took a single vest with us for the 8yo, but we mostly just left it on the surface as we all dove down. It was kind of a marker bouy for the family. Since then no more vests. But if you like to just lay on the surface a vest isn't a bad idea.

Thank you for your reply and info. As for the vest, I have heard that you can float and stay still for a little while, and the shy sea creatures will come out of their hiding places so you can see them. So this is what I'd like to try....just floating around at my own pace. A vest will come in handy for this, plus I need it for confidence, even though I can swim. (I'm old! LOL!) We will check at the dive shop in Grand Cayman. Maybe they will have some reasonably priced fins that aren't too big and bulky. Thanks again for the advise! :)

We've been to Eden Rock and I'm pretty sure you can rent the snorkel, mask, and vest from the little restaurant that is there on the "beach." Google Eden Rock and I'm sure you'll find out for sure.

We'll be there in September! Have fun!

• 3 months later...
We've snorkeled Eden Rock a few times. How does the snorkeling at Sunset House compare? It sounds like a nice place to spend the day.

Posted on this many times

at worst it is as good

some say it is better .... a lot depends on conditions .... and many have done only one or the other so can't compare. Depth wize about the same ... different stuff to see ... but you are talking the same stretch of reef that runs from GT south to the point.

Sunset will normally have fewer people on a cruise day simply because it is a little farther away

both have easy entry but no beach; Sunset has the ocean pool...good for a novice. both have on site dive shop. both have food right there.... but My Bar is an island fav' for the locals ...

Now that there is a Carnival Shore tour to Eden Rock..can you still go there on your own? If so..do they charge an admission? We used to just walk there when we got off the ship and rented a chair, spent the day snorkeling. Thanks for your help

As far as I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Eden Rock is a reef area, just like 7 mile beach is a beach area (although much larger than the Eden Rock reef). The reef itself is a public area and can be used for no charge, but to get to it you generally need to either get in the water from an access point on shore or take a boat which stops there.

There are two popular shore access points to Eden Rock - the Paradise restaurant and Eden Rock Dive Center. When you get off the tender and head to your right (with the ocean and ship to your back) you'll first pass Paradise ( blue roof) about 300 yards from the tender dock and Eden Rock Dive Center about 100 yards past that. We've usually gone to Eden Rock as the facilities have appeared nicer (dive shop, tables to use when changing your gear, lockers, rental, fresh water rinse, water ladder, etc) but from other postings I've read that Paradise has similar items although I hadn't noticed them. If you go to either spot be sure to ask someone there where the best areas of the reef are. The main reef areas are a bit of a swim (100 yards or more) off shore, but it isn't difficult with fins as long as conditions are good.

The web site for Eden Rock Dive Center currently says access and snorkeling is free while it also points out their equipment rental and other non-free services they sell.

I suspect the Ship's shore excursion you're referring to includes a guide to the area, equipment rental, and guides in the water. Personally I don't like the idea as it might bring crowds to this wonderful and never too crowded area.

• 1 month later...

Bring some fish food and the fish will find you. It is allowed to feed the fish in Grand Cayman and the restaurants do it all the time (including Paradise), which is why there are some huge tarpon usually hanging out in the area.

Or just click your nails together and that works almost as well.

A snorkel vest can be found on the Internet for $25 or so and they take up almost no room in suitcase. To rent one might run $5 or so.

I pack all of my snorkel gear with, but fins can be a pain to pack at times. Just so you know.

My vote is for Sunset House. Hand's Down. If you want relaxation, tranquility mixed with great drinks at an awesome beach bar and fantastic snorkeling, this is the place. Lat time we were there, we were the only two people in the water. We looked down at Eden's Rock and there were about 500 thrashing around. Must have been an excursion there. No thanks. The food and drinks tasted great and had a great price as well!!

We have been to Eden Rock twice and the last time it was so crowded we said never again.

How far is Sunset House from the tender port and what are the directions to get there?

I assume it is in walking distance?

Thanks

Last 2 trips to G Cayman, we have snorkled and hung out at the Paradise rest. at Eden Rock. WE LOVED it, good snorkling, decent rental eq. and GOOD FOOD and cheap beer for Cayman. Search it here and or on the internet to see pictures of the Paradise rest.

We have been to Eden Rock twice and the last time it was so crowded we said never again.

How far is Sunset House from the tender port and what are the directions to get there?

I assume it is in walking distance?

Thanks

Just keep walking past Eden...Sunset is 1 mile south of the tender landing/downtown area. I walk it carrying gear but cabs are plentyful and not expensive if you need them....

SunsetHouse.com

I didn't see any information to book a sunset house excursion. Any info would be appreciated.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is there is no excursion nor day pass charge. You get there on your own by walking (about a mile) or taking a cab. Then there is no specific charge for using their facilities to access the ocean other than purchasing what you might consume or need to rent. If you walk there and just snorkel and don't buy anything then I'm guessing it would be free - just as it is at either of the Eden Rock access points you'll pass along the way.

Personally, we plan on both renting (fins) and consuming some beverages and food after our swim. I think that is what they're hoping for.

Unless it has changed CI rules are that ocean access is open to anyone. So you can go to Eden Rock, or Sunset House or any other place and get in the water. What you will see sometimes are signs saying "no outside tanks" which means to SCUBA, you "must" rent a tank from them. All other gear can be brought in.

There is a freebie rinse tank and shower, and lockers for rent at the dive shop if needed

So you can arrive at Sunset and snorkel to your heart's content and then partake of "My Bar" the very popular hotel bar. I carry most gear and rent a tank and weights at the dive shop and do a shore dive or two then hit MB for lunch. I've heard of people spending $$ at the bar asking if it was OK if they took a jump in the pool and got the OK to do so....but I would ask first. You can hang out at the bar all day for no charge tho.... I've also spent many week-long dive vacations here.

Am i getting the areas mixed up? we walk to the right as described above to what i thought was eden rock. There is a bar, restuarnt with a small beach with free lounge chairs on a small bit of sand. Then there is a deck which you walk down to steps and ladder into the water. There is also a life guard there. Isn't this Eden rock? there is a free water trampoline in the water, and to the left most snorkelers go to the rock area.

This is where we have gone before. We are going again in jan and would like to know how much further a walk to Sunset house, and is this eden rock which i am describing?

Am i getting the areas mixed up? we walk to the right as described above to what i thought was eden rock. There is a bar, restuarnt with a small beach with free lounge chairs on a small bit of sand. Then there is a deck which you walk down to steps and ladder into the water. There is also a life guard there. Isn't this Eden rock? there is a free water trampoline in the water, and to the left most snorkelers go to the rock area.

This is where we have gone before. We are going again in jan and would like to know how much further a walk to Sunset house, and is this eden rock which i am describing?

The place you're describing is Paradise restaurant which is towards the edge of Eden Rock Reef and one of the two places that offers decent access. There is no restaurant there. The second is 70yards past Paradise and that is the Eden Rock Dive Center which I prefer. It is a little more in front of the reef - the reef itself is a hundred yards or so off shore by, and a little past, the buoys you see off shore. I think both places rent snorkeling gear. Eden Rock Dive Center at least appears to be much more of a dive center. They have some nice tables to set your stuff on while you're getting your gear on, a fresh vat to rinse your gear off after the dive, lockers for rent and an outdoor shower. Not sure if Paradise Bar & Restaurant has some, or any, of these features.

From what I've read, Sunset House is about a half mile further than Eden Rock dive center - or about 3/4 mile from the tender dock.

First time to Grand Cayman later this month with a ?

We will have two kids with us (8, 11) who have snorkelling experience. Can someone give me a recommendation on which of the places mentioned in this thread would be better for them? I think I remember reading about offerings such as a pool (if we order lunch) as well as perhaps a trampoline.

Any info. would be really appreciated.

Thank you

First time to Grand Cayman later this month with a ?

We will have two kids with us (8, 11) who have snorkeling experience. Can someone give me a recommendation on which of the places mentioned in this thread would be better for them? I think I remember reading about offerings such as a pool (if we order lunch) as well as perhaps a trampoline.

Any info. would be really appreciated.

Thank you

You really ought to consider a sting ray city excursion. They all include a stop at some reefs and the kids will love it. While Eden Rock, and presumably Sunset House (which I haven't been to YET), have nice snorkeling it is over reefs that are on the deep side and the reefs are a ways off shore (100 yards or so and further) so there is a fair amount of swimming out involved. Personally I don't think I'd want to have taken my kids out that far at that young an age. That and there is no beach there so not much for them to do after snorkeling.

• 4 months later...

We were in Grand Cayman on March 18 - calm waters and very good snorkeling conditions.

We were disappointed by the snorkeling at Sunset House. It was nice but our expectations were too high as it was not as nice as Eden Rock. We snorkeled where the man in Sunset's dive shop recommended (near shore and go north) but found the snorkeling not as nice as Eden Rock reef. It was as good or better than the area between the shore at Eden Rock and the Eden Rock Reef - for the best swimming at Eden Rock you have to swim out about 100 yards to the reef - ask at the person at the dive shop to point out the buoys that mark the reef and the limits of the dive/snorkeling area beyond. We did stop at Eden Rock on the way back to the ship to swim out to the reef to verify that it was as nice as we remembered - it was.

I must say the bar and food at Sunset was fantastic! I did see one of the most beautiful fishes there - it was in a pool of curry sauce and next to a mound of rice and tasted fantastic! But for the best snorkeling go to Eden Rock and swim out to the reef.

Archived