Help!!! Best ferry route from Vancouver???

I'm spending a long weekend in Vancouver and I want to spend a day out on the water, riding the ferries. You see, my next cruise isn't for six more months and I just HAVE to get out on the water. :D :D

I won't have a car so I'll need transportation to either Horseshoe Bay or Tsawassen terminal.

My question to all of you BC locals is this: I've looked at the BC Ferries schedule from both terminals but I don't know which is a scenic ferry route and which terminal is easier to reach from downtown Vancouver.

I know it sounds aimless, but I just want to cruise around for the better part of a day, maybe do a short walk-on/off one of the islands. HELP!!!

I'm spending a long weekend in Vancouver and I want to spend a day out on the water, riding the ferries. You see, my next cruise isn't for six more months and I just HAVE to get out on the water. :D :D

I won't have a car so I'll need transportation to either Horseshoe Bay or Tsawassen terminal.

My question to all of you BC locals is this: I've looked at the BC Ferries schedule from both terminals but I don't know which is a scenic ferry route and which terminal is easier to reach from downtown Vancouver.

I know it sounds aimless, but I just want to cruise around for the better part of a day, maybe do a short walk-on/off one of the islands. HELP!!!

Lots of people do exactly what you want to do so don't feel sheepish about it at all. Hands down the most picturesque route is the from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay as the ships cruise thur the very scenic Gulf Islands. With out a car likely your best bet is to a Pacific Stage Lines bus out to the Tsawwassen termnal then walk on the ship. Candidly I have never done any of the Gulf Islands by ferry so will let someone else help you with that.

Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay (aka Route 1).

If you're really feeling up for that ferry experience, the TSW -> Gulf Islands route pops in and out of a lot of the smaller islands (check bcferries.bc.ca for more details)

For the best deal to TSW, ride the 601 bus from downtown, change at Ladner Exch and get on the Tsawwassen ferry bus (can't remember the number, but you can look it up at http://translink.bc.ca/ )

The Horseshoe Bay routes are much more at sea, whereas TSW-SWB goes through the islands.

I just went to the BC Ferries website and they have something they call a Southern Gulf Islands Day Trip. You get on the ferry at Schwartz Bay and it travels to four of the southern Gulf Islands then back to Schwartz Bay.

It leaves Schwartz Bay at 9:35 am and returns to Schwartz Bay at 1:35 pm. Then you could get the ferry back to Vancouver (Tswassen). This would equal a one day trip.

The only thing I didn't check was how early the first ferry leaves Twassen teminal for Schwartz Bay? You can sort that out by checking the BC Ferries website.

There may also be a way to do the Gulf Islands from Tswassen...but I THINK that is more complicated and may not give as great a day as the other way. Besides there is no reference on the website to the same excursion from the Vancouver side direct to the Gulf Islands.

Good luck with it. I am sure you will be able to put something together with BC Ferries.

Which long weekend are you in Vancouver?? The ferry schedules have a few changes coming

up as the peak summer travel period approaches.

There are a few options, but a Saturday looks promising. Once I know your

dates, I can give you some possibilities to choose from.

The first ferry leaves Tsawwassen leaves at 7AM every day so you will need that one to ensure that you have time to connect with the Gulf Islands ferry at Swartz Bay - this would be a great day trip if it is a sunny and clear day - in fact I have this on a list of to-dos myself as except for Salt Spring I haven't traveled between the other Gulf Islands.

I know from talking to a tourist the other day that you can make the first ferry by public transit and have about 25 minutes until the first ship sails.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I also recommend the Tsawwasen-Schwartz Bay route. We try to do this every year. From either side catch a Spirit Class ferry as a walk on. Depending on when you wish to have dinner plan your meal time for the return trip in the Buffet. As a pax that is already on the ship with a return ticket you can be first in line for the buffet and get a prime seat for the return trip.

You purchase the return ticket while enroute for your first crossing.

Spirit Class leave on the odd hours I believe all season but check with them first.

Smaller summer time vessels do not have the great buffet.

Wow! Thanks for all your suggestions. See, that's why I love it in B.C....lots of friendly folks. :)

My plan is to do this on Saturday, July 5th. If the first ferry leaves Tsawassen at 7a.m., I'd have to leave downtown by what - 5a.m. :eek: for public transportation to the terminal?

I checked TransLink and it looks like I'd have to make two connections for Tsawassen. Aren't there any direct or express buses?

Putterdude mentioned Pacific Stage Lines....I'll check it out.

Any other suggestions....feel free to pass on. I'm traveling solo and I'm free as a bird; spending a couple of nights in Whistler too. Spent a week traveling around Vancouver Island two years ago - it doesn't get much prettier. You BC'ers are lucky to live in such a beautiful landscape.

P.S. Putterdude, I just looked up Pacific Stages Lines and it looks like they haven't been in business for a number of years. Did you mean something else???

So basically, I would take the ferry from Tsawassen to Swartz Bay, then take a ferry from Swartz Bay to <????>, then ferry back to Swartz Bay, then back to Tsawassen. Is that right?

Are there any stops between Tsawassen and Swartz Bay (SB)?

I see a number of island runs from SB but I don't know which routes/islands are most recommended and which routes would get me back to downtown Vancouver for dinner. Can you help me with this?

Leftcoast recommends the ship buffet....is it good enough to pass up a downtown restaurant?

Speaking of dinner, what restaurant would you recommend in the downtown area for really great Pacific Northwest seafood?

Here is your link to Pacific Coach Lines .....just a name change a few years ago. www.pacificcoach.com/ I will let others guise you re the Ferry routes in the GulF Islands.

No the ferry's buffet while good is not worth passing up a meal in a good downtown seafood restaurant. As for seafood houses....here goes:

Aqua Riva, down near Canada Place

Cardero's, upscale marine on Coal Harbour down by Bayshore Inn

Ketttle of Fish, on Pacific near Burrard Bridge

The Cannery, on east side, great restaurant whould have to take a cab

The Fish House, is in Stanley Park

www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

http://www.akettleoffish.net/

www.canneryseafood.com/

http://www.aquariva.com/

So basically, I would take the ferry from Tsawassen to Swartz Bay, then take a ferry from Swartz Bay to <????>, then ferry back to Swartz Bay, then back to Tsawassen. Is that right?

Are there any stops between Tsawassen and Swartz Bay (SB)?

I see a number of island runs from SB but I don't know which routes/islands are most recommended and which routes would get me back to downtown Vancouver for dinner. Can you help me with this?

Leftcoast recommends the ship buffet....is it good enough to pass up a downtown restaurant?

Speaking of dinner, what restaurant would you recommend in the downtown area for really great Pacific Northwest seafood?

Yes, you are correct, you have to take smaller ferries in and out of the actual "gulf islands" and neither the Tsawassen to Swartz Bay or the Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo sailings stop anywhere in between as they are direct routes.

There are 2 departure points on Vancouver Island - Victoria (Swartz Bay) and Nanaimo (Duke Point and Departure Bay docks) and depending on what islands you want to visit depends on what dock you sail into/out of.

The ship buffet on the Ferry is not that great, in my opinion.

Hope that helps...somewhat?

Buffet does not compare to most mainstream ships BUT its pretty good for aboard a BC ferry :) (Spirit class only)

If your are planning to eat in one of our good Vancouver restaurants for sure skip it .

Normally to get to the ferry terminal from downtown Vancouver you take the #601 to Ladner exchange and then transfer to the #640 - however early in the morning it made be different.

Cheers

Dennis

OK ...this is...as I understand it what you would do.

Buy a ticket with the private bus company to the terminal in Tsawassen. Get the Tswassen/Schwartz Bay ferry at 7:00am departure...that will get you to Schwartz Bay in time to catch the Gulf Island run at 9:35am. It is...again as I understand it...a "milk run" that goes to 4 of the Gulf Islands...one after another...and then heads back to Schwartz Bay arriving at 1:35pm. Then you would get the next available sailing from Schartz Bay to Tswassen...and the bus back to downtown Vancouver in time for a really nice dinner at any one of the great restaurants that Puttedude has recommended!

Go the the BC Ferries website and check all this out. You may be abloe to purchase the appropriate fares for all the ferries before you even leave...or at worst on the first ferry of the day.

Sounds to me like a pretty perfect day...especially if the sun is shining!

Not to confuse the issue but you could also consider doing part of the trip

on the Tsawwassen- Gulf Islands ferry. Some possibilities - Saturday example

Leave Tsawwassen 12:35 - to Long Harbour -arrive 2:00 - stay aboard -

leave Long Harbour 4:15- return to Tsawwassen 5:55 with stop at Mayne Island.

OR:-

Take earlier Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay ferry - transfer to Gulf Islands ferry via

Pender, Mayne to Galiano - return to Tsawwassen from Galiano.

The times vary by day of the week. Without getting too deeply into it, Sunday

appears to be a good day for connections.

Whatever plan you come up with, you will enjoy the trip.

Not to confuse the issue but you could also consider doing part of the trip

on the Tsawwassen- Gulf Islands ferry. Some possibilities - Saturday example

Leave Tsawwassen 12:35 - to Long Harbour -arrive 2:00 - stay aboard -

leave Long Harbour 4:15- return to Tsawwassen 5:55 with stop at Mayne Island.

OR:-

Take earlier Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay ferry - transfer to Gulf Islands ferry via

Pender, Mayne to Galiano - return to Tsawwassen from Galiano.

The times vary by day of the week. Without getting too deeply into it, Sunday

appears to be a good day for connections.

Whatever plan you come up with, you will enjoy the trip.

Great idea. I wasn't looking forward to getting up at 5 a.m. to catch the 7 a.m. ferry from Tsawwassen! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

We will have from Saturday afternoon until Tues when we have to be back in Vancouver for our ship to explore Vancouver Island. What is a good suggestion? We really don't like tourist places as we live in one so Victoria is not high on our list. If you think that in not good thinking please say so. Thanks

Sueleekey - check out the other thread that you posed this question to - I have provided you with some suggestions and since you aren't beholden to having a lot of time in Victoria those suggestions are even more pertinent.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for your suggestions. I ended up using Pacific Coach Lines for an easy roundtrip to Victoria, where I decided to stay overnight after all.

So I ate at Joe Forte's in Vancouver (awesome sablefish), Red Fish Blue Fish in Victoria (crispy, moist halibut), Nautical Nellie's in Victoria (mediocre, overcooked salmon), Empress Dining Room in Victoria (mouth-watering sablefish), and Water Street Cafe in Vancouver (boring cod dish).

I'll admit to paying an outrageous amount of money for Afternoon Tea at the Fairmont Empress. Was the food worth the money? No. But it was a one-time experience.

Oh, and you were right about the buffet on the Spirit class ferry - what a bounty!

Thanks again.

Archived