Which ones are the best

Pepsiqt

We leave on the Pride in 4 Days and my parents are really concerned about being able to keep in contact with my kids (15 and 17) They want to get some Walkie Talkies .... What ones work best on the ship? I don't think there is going to be a problem but my parents have gotten very protective in their old age LOL :)

We purchased an inexpensive pair of walkie talkies at Circuit City for our first cruise, to be honest, they worked OK but we really didn't use them. I find that if your children are reliable, just have them check in and tell you where they will be. There are a lot of people who do use the walkie talkies...not just for their kids but for husbands and wives. It would probably be a good move, if they get along, to have them hang out together....ocassionally you hear of a bad incident with teenagers....I worry myself....my girls are younger than yours...I am willing to give them a little freedom (very little) but I also feel better it my girls are together and we check in with each other frequently. Good luck and have fun!!!

I would recomend them, when I was 14 on a cruise I was playing basketball on the sports deck. Slipped in a puddle and put a peice of the cage an inch into my leg, had to get stitches on boat at 1am.

If I had radios to my mom I wouldnt have had to lay there with my leg elevated bleeding profusly for some kid to find staff to wake up and get me a wheel chair... Then have to find my mom once i got to the infirmary!

Tell your kids not to play basketball on a wet deck btw.

I've tried Motorola, Midland, and Uniden. I personally liked Midland. Don't pay attention to how many miles they are rated for....it's a crock!! The best rule of thumb is this....try to find the Radio that uses the most batteries (4 AA's if possible), and then buy Engergizer Lithium batteries.

That's my recipe for success. By the way....if you remember to turn your Radios off when not in use, you should be able to get many months of use off of the Lithium batteries.

Thank You all for your advice. I don't think we will need them and as long as we have check in plans all should be okay. My kids are good kids and "normal" and better not throw anything into the ocean or else I will know just where to find them.... In the Room! Maybe I will call my Cell Phone Carrier to see what their text messaging deals are.

Again thank you everyone!

I'm so excited only 4 more days!

Thank You all for your advice. I don't think we will need them and as long as we have check in plans all should be okay. My kids are good kids and "normal" and better not throw anything into the ocean or else I will know just where to find them.... In the Room! Maybe I will call my Cell Phone Carrier to see what their text messaging deals are.

Again thank you everyone!

I'm so excited only 4 more days!

Lucky you, have a wonderful time. Don't forget to share your experience with us wannabes.

We leave on the Pride in 4 Days and my parents are really concerned about being able to keep in contact with my kids (15 and 17) They want to get some Walkie Talkies .... What ones work best on the ship? I don't think there is going to be a problem but my parents have gotten very protective in their old age LOL :)

Believe it or not, your teens are the perfect age for a cruise!! Trust me, you won't see them the whole day unless you set a time and place to meet up.

My (now) 17 year-old grandson has cruised with me once a year since he was 8. When he was younger, I kept an eye on him and we got together several times a day. He also had a curfew at night.

Since he turned 14, he is on his own. He is a well-behaved, polite young man and I don't have to worry about him getting into trouble, causing problems, doing anything stupied. He makes friends easily and soon buddies up with a handful of people his own age. They spend their days and nights in the arcade, in the pool, hanging out, attending all the teen dances, hanging out at Club 02 playing video games and taking part in other teen oriented activities. The teen counselors are great and a lot of fun to be around. They usually end up at midnight on Lido deck eating pizza, french fries and yakking until the sun comes up.

If the grandparents don't give them some freedom, they won't enjoy the cruise. If the kids are good kids and not troublemakers, there is no need to keep in touch. You can insist they have dinner with you or lunch but, other than that, they are old enough to know how to behave.

Bring sticky notes so you can leave notes to each other on where you will be. If they are in their own room have a extra key made so you can get in their room. Just go to the pursers desk and have them make you a extra one.

Bring sticky notes so you can leave notes to each other on where you will be. If they are in their own room have a extra key made so you can get in their room. Just go to the pursers desk and have them make you a extra one.

We have connecting rooms so that will not be a problem. I already have the Sicky notes packed:)

We have connecting rooms so that will not be a problem. I already have the Sicky notes packed:)
Have a great cruise. Leave the kids some dollar bills so they can order room service, they love doing that.

Archived