Hawaii question

Techie

I know we're going on a cruise and the boat moves...:)

My question, is there any particular time of year when the cruise to Hawaii is more apt to be rough. We've booked for April with an aft cabin and several people have said it can be rough. Would we be better off with a mid-ship cabin? Have sailed 5 times and only one day of feeling seasick and that was between San Francisco and Vancouver (left San Francisco at 4, one sea day, and docked in Vancouver at 10 the following morning)

Thanks in advance,

We did the Island Princess from LA to Hawaii and back in Oct 2004 and had smooth sailing both ways. We were in a balcony cabin on Deck 11 towards the rear of the ship and really didn't have any problems on either leg of the cruise.

Have a great next cruise.

We went and are going again in Oct. 1st 2 days out of LA were, well I am going to say not bad at ALL. But people always say those 1st two days are the worst. But again. I didnt think they were that bad. We started to take ginger root pills a few days before and were not botherd at all with it. In an Aft cabin also.

We went on the diamond this past nov. and virtually no rough waters either way. We were expecting some rough ocean but never happened. Now obviously there was no nasty weather in the pacific; we were jut plain lucky. Now if we went the next time and on the same month we could so obviosuly you just do not know ahead of time what months are good.

Marilyn

We've done it twice, both times in the March/April period. There were rough days which wasn't a big deal for us but this is a cruise where you should try for a midships cabin if you have any worry about motion sickness. There are more sea days than port days. It is more like a transoceanic voyage than a cruise in the tropics.

In the last couple of years, we have cruised out of L.A. and San Diego to Hawaii in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December. Would have never known we were in different months because the first couple of sea days and the last couple of sea days were all identical regardless of the month. There is no sitting on your balcony those days because it is windy and cool, even mid summer. The motion is not that disturbing. However, if you tend to be sensitive to it, you should take some meds, like Dramamine for those days. We've sailed in much rougher seas, like coming from Bermuda to New York. Phew!!!! Now, that's rough!!! But it is well-worth it once you arrive in Hawaii.:o

We went in October 2005 and it was a little rough the first night but fine the rest of the trip. That being said, this is Southern California and we can get some strange weather so it could be completely different during October of another year. Fabulous cruise by the way.

This is a bit of a generalization but yes the waters going to Hawaii are likely going to be rougher than those from SF to Vancouver, we have done both. So if you have any concerns at all then I would be looking at a lower midsips cabin...say Caribe with a balcony.

We went in December 2005 and the first couple of days were a bit rough. We had booked a midships cabin for this reason (even though my hubby and daughter never get sea sick) and I started taking some ginger when feeling woozy. There were some people who stayed in their cabin during this time and the pools were closed due to the wave action. On the way back, things were a lot smoothly.

I don't think it has to do with what time of year you go, as there's a current you'll be crossing.

I have sailed out of LA to Hawaii twice, once in February and once in mid-March, and also to the MR in November. I have not experienced the rough seas out of LA that some report here. That's not to say that it can't occur. Maybe we just got lucky all three times.

The one thing that has been consistent is the damp chilly weather in LA and the first 1-2 days at sea on each end of the cruises. Plan for it and take a light jacket and long pants. With those, we were able to enjoy our balcony on the Caribe deck each cruise.

Joan,

Knowing what things were like going to Vancouver, and what the seas can be like the first day out and the last day back (not to mention any surprises along the way) my recommendation to you would be to give up the aft and hit midships as much as possible. I want you to enjoy the entire trip and feel well. Wake views can be had from the aft public decks....I was not bothered heading to Vancouver, and had no trouble on our last rt to Hawaii, but we are crossing the Alaska current the first day out of LA and it is a little bumpy. Any additional weather system can make it worse......

Just MHO.....

Ginger

Archived