Anything special for someone who is pregnant on a cruise?

Rob_Jen

Wear low comfortable shoes coz ya really dont know when a ship will pitch

Excellent contribution to this thread and a really good idea.

Also,

DO NOT take any medication for motion sickness that was not prescribed by your doctor! NO over the counter patches or pills without doctor approval.

Since she has cruised before.. and may not got sea sick...you dont know how this cruise will be affected with motion sickness. Look into sea bands. (little bands you wear on your wrists that use accupressure to combat sickness)

I cruised a while back while I was pregnant and although I knew I dont usually get motion sick/sea sick, I was unsure how I would handle the motion being pregnant. I also worried about just being nauseated due to the food not sitting well so I asked my Dr. for a prescription for Compazine...which is a medication that Dr's often prescribe for pregnant women who are suffering from morning sickness/throwing up a lot! Fortunatley I didnt need it at all, but was nice knowing I had something in case I was really sick to my stomach! 5 1/2 months is a great time to be going on a vacation! Hopefully your wife will be over the morning sickness thing, and not so big that she is uncomfortable! Enjoy!!!

Rob Jen,

My sister in law was pregnant on her cruise a few years back. She did just fine. She said comfortable clothes were the biggest concern on the trip. I would also have your wife ask her doctor about medicines. If for some reason you find you have rough weather, you might need to know this information. We were in tropical storm Marty last October and many people were sick. Many had to go to the ship's doctor for a shot. Bonine and Dramamine had no effect. Have your wife ask her doctor what shot she could have in the case of seasickness due to high waves.

-Joanne

I wonder.

If cruising while pregnant has any affect on the baby while in utero. The baby is sort of swiming in fluid anyway. Anyone notice a differences between children that were in utero on a cruise and those that weren't?

Next question is about baby's conceived aboard cruises and those conceived on land. Any differences?

Hi,

My husband and I just returned on Sunday from a 7 day Southern Carribean cruise with Carnival (Destiny) and I am 10 weeks pregnant. What I did before we left was confirm with my doctor that it was okay to travel and I asked if there was anything that I could take in the event I did get Sea Sick (1st time cruiser and 1st Pregnancy...... I had no idea how I was going to be feeling.) She suggested Gravol if the Sea Sickness got really bad. Any luckily I never had to use a thing, I felt 110%. If anything the "swaying" of the boat almost felt like I was being rocked to sleep. Very nice. I did find it a little exhausting doing all the excursions and being in the sun and heat. (had a nap when we arrived back on the ship) Felt better after the nap. My advice is take your time and make sure you rest alot...... "just because you are on vacation does not mean that you cannot over do it". RELAX :cool: and ENJOY :D

P.S. I think I counted maybe 6 pregnant women while on our cruise.

Cheers,

Wendy

I cruise two years ago when was 6 months pregnant and had a great time. One thing to be mindful of is shore tours that involve long drives and lack of restroom facilities ;) Other than that she should be fine. The 24 hour avalability of food was great for my late night pizza and chocolate milk cravings too. :D

As far as how kids who were cruising in utero, my DD loves cruising on the outside too. We took her on the Paradise for her 1st birthday and will be taking her on her 2nd birthday cruise on the Legend this December and she definitely has her sea legs!

Expect a low bar bill, but make sure the wife stays hydrated.

Wife was 5 months pregnant, and experienced what she thought was her first bout of sea sickness. She went to the infirmary, and found out she was simply dehydrated. Felt fine after a gatorade powder mix.

This was for our transpacific cruise, and she figured we made a mistake being at sea for 5 1/2 days. After our 12th day, she was ready for another 5 1/2 days to Vancouver.

All worked out well.

Hi. Make sure that your wife brings a full copy of her medical records in case (God forbid) she needs medical care related to her pregnancy. Also, you might want to look into an insurance policy that will cover airlifting her back to the US (again is something happens). I don't know if you can get this though, since the pregnancy may be considered a preexisting condition. I am not meaning to be morbid or anything, but I'm an OB nurse and you definitely want to be prepared. Have a safe and happy cruise.

Joanne :)

Oh yeah 1TonysMom is right I forgot about bringing the medical records but I did do that. Defnitely a good idea to have those, we always get insurance also so I already had that covered but another good thing to look into.

Archived