Veendam oceanview rooms that face promanade deck

momofmeg

Both have oceanview cabins with windows facing the open deck on the lower promenade deck. Cabin categories range from HH with full or partial obstructed view, to class C.

There are no cabins at all on the promenade deck.

Cheers,

Actually, all the ships which have the wrap-around teak deck on the Lower Promenade, have outside cabins that have windows out to the deck. That excludes the Vistas and the new E'dam, that have the wrap-around deck on the Promenade. Deck plans for all the ships are easily available on the HAL web site.

Both have oceanview cabins with windows facing the open deck on the lower promenade deck. Cabin categories range from HH with full or partial obstructed view, to class C.

There are no cabins at all on the promenade deck.

Cheers,

I could find no HH or C the week I am looking at booking. I guess they are sold out.

Would everyone walking the promenade deck see in your window?

No. The windows are tinted/coated so that in daytime no one can see in. I tried it once when I had an outside on Lower Promenade. Even with my nose pressed to the window I couldn't see a thing.

At night, though, with the darkness outside and lights on inside it's easy to see in. It's better to keep the draperies closed at least until retiring for the night. Even then, keep the sheers closed.

At night, though, with the darkness outside and lights on inside it's easy to see in. It's better to keep the draperies closed at least until retiring for the night. Even then, keep the sheers closed.
I tried to see into our DD's on the Statendam and Amsterdam at night, and thanks to the brightness of the deck lights I still did not find it "easy". Anyway, we always left the sheers closed, and the steward always had the drapes closed by the time we came back from early dinner, so we never really had to think about the issue.

The outside cabins on Lower Prom Deck (S-Class) are slightly smaller (shorter) than the outside cabins on the other decks. The small sofa / loveseat is smaller than other cabins. Otherwise the storage, bathrooms and width of the these cabins are the same.

A good number of these cabins also are adjoining should you need 2 cabins configured so. I like them, especially in Alaska as you are only a few steps to outdoors (assuming you do not have a balcony room).

A few points to note:

As mentioned, the windows have reflective film which works fine in daylight. But in the evening or at night you can see in when lights are on in the cabin. It is not too obvious as the promenade does have flourescent lighting outside, so the relective film obscures the view into the cabin even at night.

I really did not notice anymore noise from the outside promenade as I did from people in the interior passageways. I did notice the very early morning washing of the promenade when the window was being hosed down.

If you select a specific cabin, take special note for which cabins with obstructed, partially obstructed and full sea views. And also take note of cabins next to the doorways onto the promenade. These doors are large, heavy wood doors and sometimes people who take little care on windy days will slam them closed.

As with all cabins, there are pros and cons most of which are dependent on your preferences and peeves.

We've had DD category cabins on both the Rotterdam and Ryndam. During the day you have a hard time seeing into the windows - at night, with lights on in the cabin, you may be able to see in.

We didn't notice any noise to speak of from people outside our cabin in deck chairs unless they banged the chair against the wall - we couldn't hear talking for example. The partial obstructions in both our staterooms was minimal to us and appeared to be an unobstructed view cabin as far as we were concerned.

These cabins are shorted length-wise than similar outsides on other decks but we always ended up in them because of upgrades and had no complaints. If choosing a specific cabin, as mentioned by TampaMike, take note of where the doors to the deck are located - they tend to slam when the wind blows and can be disturbing if you are located near one.

We're booked in a DD guarantee on the Veendam this fall so we must like them!

Doug

We're booked in a DD guarantee on the Veendam this fall so we must like them!
The problem with a DD Gty is that you may get "upgraded" to a D down on the Main deck ... and we did not want that. :)

The problem with a DD Gty is that you may get "upgraded" to a D down on the Main deck ... and we did not want that. :)

Why not? We're usually in agreement on things, but I'd be thrilled with a D-cat on Main, and would prefer it to a DD-cat on Lower Promenade.

The cabin is larger, and there's nothing between my view and the sea. It's still and easy hop to "my vernada". ;)

Why not? We're usually in agreement on things, but I'd be thrilled with a D-cat on Main, and would prefer it to a DD-cat on Lower Promenade.

The cabin is larger, and there's nothing between my view and the sea. It's still and easy hop to "my vernada". ;)

We wanted to be able to get outside in a few seconds, rather than possibly be as many as 15 cabins and a flight of stairs away. (For example, if assigned 612 on the Statendam that's 15 cabins away from either set of stairs/elevators, and 2582 on the Amsterdam would be 12 cabins away from any.) Stairs really bother my DW, and she often uses the elevator just to go down one flight, never mind up. So, we picked DD cabins that were just 3 away from an outside door ... just far enough to get away from the door slamming. We don't mind the slightly shorter cabin. :)

I understand totally, John. I sure know what it's like to have to avoid stairs. :( Thanks for the explanation.

I'm used to a particular cabin on the R-class ships that's exactly mid-ship, so is as convenient as can be to the elevator bank---and outside! :) I was moved to the outside directly across the passageway once. It was nice! :D

My 1st cruise was in 1998, on the Veendam & we got " upgraded" to one of those rooms on the promenade deck. I kept my blinds closed the entire week.
Did you try looking in the window first? :confused: It really is impossible to see in during daylight.

We were in C348 (port side) on the Veendam's lower promenade. At night, you must have your lights out or keep the curtains closed for privacy. In the morning, though, you will hear the crew outside, hosing down the deck, and performing other maintainence with wenches and the life boats. It did wake me up, so, I didn't sleep-in. When we were looking at other cruises and cabins, my husband made mention of the on deck noise and stated he didn't want a room on the lower promenade again.

We had an HH on the Amsterdam in Alaska and I liked it a lot. Even though we were supposedly under the galley we did not hear much from upstairs. We also did not hear much from outside either, even in the morning when they washed down the decks. And I am a light sleeper.

As has been mentioned, during the day you could not see into the cabin, even if you were a few inches away from the window. At night it was a bit easier to see in since it was brighter inside than out - we just left the curtains closed after the steward turned down the room, or needed privacy before dinner.

We had an HH on the Amsterdam in Alaska and I liked it a lot. Even though we were supposedly under the galley we did not hear much from upstairs. We also did not hear much from outside either, even in the morning when they washed down the decks. And I am a light sleeper.

As has been mentioned, during the day you could not see into the cabin, even if you were a few inches away from the window. At night it was a bit easier to see in since it was brighter inside than out - we just left the curtains closed after the steward turned down the room, or needed privacy before dinner.

I've had HHs on the Zaandam and Volendam and like them quite well - good location and sunlight at an inside price. I'd rather have an obstructed view on a higher deck than an OV on the bottom deck.

On Ryndam, we were in 316, one cabin forward on an outside door - no door slamming noises that I remember and no noise from outside on the deck.

On Rotterdam, we were in 3378 that under the kitchens. No outside noise but I was awakened a couple time in the wee hours of the night with very odd noises coming from above. Didn't notice it during the day however. Could be something they only did in the mornings? Eric slept through everything!

Doug

This thread is very helpful. We were upgraded on Zaandam from a Cat FF outside (Dolphin Deck) to a Cat C on the LP deck. Our cabin is under the wine bar area and away from exit doors so we should be fine! Many thanks all.

Archived