sounds of calving..

mdeane

We would really love to hear the sounds and see the glaciers calving. It is unlikely we will see it at Hubbard even if we get close so I understand from previous cruisers there. What would be the next best way to see this event?

Sorry I failed to say that we will be on a SB out of Seward. We will be in Seward for several days before the cruise to do heli tour and dog sledding, plus other Seward attractions.

We have been at Hubbard the last two summers on Celebrity and were able to get extremely close. You could hear the cracking and movement very clearly. Sounds like thunder.

Good luck. Hope you get close.

Having just returned from an itinerary that included Hubbard, I am sad to say that we did not encounter any measurable calving at Hubbard. I was a little disappointed as I had heard so many wonderful things about the "Hubbard experience." We were glad that we booked a Prince William Sound glacier tour (Major Marine) out of Whittier. We saw spectacular calving there. After our experience I don't think we will ever take an Alaskan cruise again without incorporating a small boat glacier tour into our plans.

I have not been to hubbard myself.

But with a late winter ... I seen some reports were the icefield in front

of the glacier they are not able to get close to the glaciers.

I would book a trip on several different glacier tours out of Steward. The

different coupon books have 2 for 1 in them for these tours.

When are you leaving on your cruise?

We got very close last August and had no trouble seeing and hearing the calving. They can be a little hard to photograph only because often the event is all but over by the time you get your camera aimed at where it is occuring.

Thanks for all the replies. We are just afraid we will miss the experience at Hubbard so may do the Kenai Fjords (if water is calm) or try to get to Whittier for the PWS cruise which sounds great. I do think I should book a smaller cruise for another experience just not sure which one.

We saw los of calving when we took the Renown tour out of Seward---it was the 6 hour trip---Kenai Fiords also does this tour

they have buy one gt one coupons in the Tour Saver

Paul

If you don't mind me asking, when did you take your tour - what date?

We saw los of calving when we took the Renown tour out of Seward---it was the 6 hour trip---Kenai Fiords also does this tour

they have buy one gt one coupons in the Tour Saver

Paul

Since you will be in Seward, I would highly recommend the six hour Renown Kenai Fjord tour. As mentioned above, you can get a 2 for 1 coupon with the Tour Saver Book. We went a couple of years ago and got up very close to Aialik Glacier. Much better than the cruise ship experience because it is a smaller boat. You should do this, especially if glaciers are a priority for you. Also, there is a lot of wildlife viewing on this tour--we saw some orcas, porpoises, sea otters, etc.

Glacier calving,

We were at Hubbard Glacier this past week on the Celebrity Mercury. We were the only ship there that day. The Captain carefully manuevered through the small ice pieces to within, I think, 2 miles of the glacier. We spent 3-4 hours there and saw and heard about 9-12 calvings. Some occured around the point of land and were not visible just could be heard. First you here the cracking noise (like lightning) then the rumble (like thunder). The ship was even able to launch a lifeboat to film the ship and glacier. It was cold and rainy. But it was magnificent and the best part of our cruise. Hope this helps you.;)

Archived