Live from Caribbean Princess (6/4 sailing)

cs

It's our last day at sea and we'll be back in NY tomorrow. There were good things and not-so-good and I'll give the full review later.

Warning - the bad - air conditioning is not working well. We've had maintenance fix it for us (and so did some other passengers) but it doesn't appear to be helping much.

And activities are really SCARCE here.

Otherwise it's been a great trip and the itinerary is EXCELLENT. More to come when we get home.

ETA - make sure you double check your invoices. We found a mistake and the bad one was that we ordered room service and tipped (generously) with cash. There's a line on the room service slip that you have to sign and they give you the option to add a tip to your account. They took our cash and added another $2 tip for themselves on the slip! We'll have to do something about that later cause the front desk still hasn't credited it back to our account (and they said they would).

So heads up - if you tip by cash, put a line through the gratuity line of the slip.

It's our last day at sea and we'll be back in NY tomorrow. There were good things and not-so-good and I'll give the full review later.

Warning - the bad - air conditioning is not working well. We've had maintenance fix it for us (and so did some other passengers) but it doesn't appear to be helping much.

And activities are really SCARCE here.

This really surprises me. Princess always has several activities going on.

Otherwise it's been a great trip and the itinerary is EXCELLENT. More to come when we get home.

ETA - make sure you double check your invoices. We found a mistake and the bad one was that we ordered room service and tipped (generously) with cash. There's a line on the room service slip that you have to sign and they give you the option to add a tip to your account. They took our cash and added another $2 tip for themselves on the slip! We'll have to do something about that later cause the front desk still hasn't credited it back to our account (and they said they would).

So heads up - if you tip by cash, put a line through the gratuity line of the slip.

We never had a problem with room service tacking on tips.

I did however had extra drinks added to the bill. When I went to the purser with all my receipts they immediately corrected it right there and gave me a "new" bill.

I am surprised they didn't do that when you brought the room service slips to the pursers desk. They usually correct it before you leave the ship.

Thanks for reporting! Great room service heads up regarding cash tips. We always tip for room service in cash...I just told my husband what happened to you and to put a line through the gratuity line on the room service invoices on our cruises.

Wow...too bad about the air conditioning not working! That would sure be a bummer! Hope you were not absolutely miserable! We had an inside on the Diamond and I depended on the air conditioning to circulate the air and keep the cabin comfortable.

Looking forward to reading your full review. Welcome Home.

Im curious to hear how badly the AC is for others and was it just in a few staterooms or all over the ship.

I heard this reported before on the CB on these boards. I really hope they get that fixed. I love a cool room thats why I dont keep my balcony door open like alot of other ppl like to do. I sure hope they get it fixed.

Last year, I went to Cozumel for a week and stayed in a really nice hotel but the AC was barely working. Maintenance came and lowered my thermostat. They did nothing else. Make a long story short on my last day I had a very bad leak from the ceiling, it was from the AC , it had completely bombed out. So it was broke all along. Good thing there was a ceiling fan. I couldnt change my room as the hotel was sold out.

Im bringing a small box fan on my cruise.

My last 3 cruises on Carnival the AC was very strong.

Im looking forward to hearing your trip report.

Hi, CS. Would you be so kind as to tell me which cabin you were in. I'm really worried about the AC problem on the ship, especially because my DH has a heart condition. Aside from his heart condition, he is very uncomfortable when he is too hot and is unable to sleep well, as I'm sure are others who don't have sufficient air conditioning while in the Caribbean. We are scheduled to go on the CB soon. I don't know what to do. I know My DH isn't the only person to have a heart condition, but I'm just really nervous now. We have been on several cruises in the past, but have not had an AC problem. We are really looking forward to this cruise, especially because it's going to be a celebration of my DH special birthday. but now I'm not sure. I know sometimes we have to roll with the punches, but this seem like a major issue. I would greatly appreciate any information. Thank you very much.

We got off the CB on the 4th....in A523. Air worked great in there! I only noticed a problem in the hallway once and in the atruim elevators several times. I never heard any complaint, so hopefully it is just a problem in some of the rooms.

To those that are leaving tomorrow, have a wonderful time! This was our first Princess cruise and we loved it so much that we book for next year already.

There were a lot of activities going on during the day, it may just be a matter of what interests you.....

I loved MUTS! I just wish that it played continually during the day instead of only a couple of movies each afternoon.

Christina

AC not working well will be a major issue with us too. My mother has high BP and cannot tolerate the heat at all, and if I sleep in a room thats too hot, it triggers a migraine. It'll be one miserable vacation without sufficient AC, so I hope we are lucky enough to be in a cool cabin.

I wonder if they don't turn the AC up full-force to save on fuel costs?

we're leaving today and I sure hope the AC is working in our cabin...this post is making me nervous! getting some last minute packing done

Suzanne

p.s Marko....see you as we are feverishly driving on the NJ turnpike to get there!!!!

Hopefully it was the OP's room that the AC problem.

I was on the 5/26 sailing and was in room R612 and had no problems with the AC (I actually found it to be too cold). I didn't notice it being too hot in the common areas of the ship.

I found there to be plenty of activities on CB, but I also like relaxing poolside when I'm on the ship. There are just less activities when in port.

Hope all those that are sailing the CB soon enjoy their cruise!:D

When the Crown first debuted 2 years ago, there were some initial complaints about her a/c. On our first cruise on her in 2006, our cabin felt not ice cold, but fairly comfortable. Last summer, there were no issues whatsoever. Perhaps as some posters said, it is location. A/c generally isn't pumping while in port. I guess it's sort of like a car that is idling, the a/c is not as powerful until it gets moving.

I know the CB is older, but I am not worried about it. I think the a/c issue is subjective. I usually like it ice cold and feel some who feel cold can wear warmer clothing. With that being said, if it's not ice cold, but comfortable, I'm happy enough. Nice cold, frosty beer can compensate for the a/c.

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate on the AC problem we were having. It wasn't a ship wide problem. There were some areas of the ship that were warm, like some of the hallways and like another poster mentioned some of the elevators were warm too (I don't think that some had air at all).

We did an informal mini-survey with other passengers we talked to and asked how their room was. Only a couple other passengers were having problems in their cabins, but most were not. And I wouldn't say it was hot in the rooms. It was just somewhat stuffy because it was a lot warmer than I keep it at home.

So I'm sorry that I gave the impression that it was hot ship wide. It wasn't. The problem was limited to certain areas and it would probably only bother you if you like your room cooler.

I have to start unpacking now but I will be back on as soon as I can to answer any questions.

We had no problems with the AC.

In fact I kept having to push the temp button towards warmer because I was constantly freezing in our room. We would also leave the balcony slider open 90 percent of the time.

Some areas around the ship felt warmer then others but I did not think it was unbearable.

Archived