Advice to Help Choose........

sail7seas

Yah,,,,,,, I know..... like I need advice about an HAL cruise? :D

A secretary in my husband's office wants to take her first cruise.

She wants to cruise over New Year's (my husband must be paying her too much--doesn't she know holiday cruises are expensive? ;) ), she has a two year old and husband.

They are not party hearty but enjoy a cocktail, music and dancing. She's okay about two formal nights; he'll do it to keep her happy.

I'm thinking of suggesting RCI rather than HAL. I have a hunch that for a first cruise, she may want more organized activities and won't be an 'independent entertainer'.

Sure, I know that over the holidays there will be lots of families cruising on all the mass market lines but I somehow don't think HAL is a good match for her for her first cruise. Maybe for her second or third.

For those who have sailed RCI recently, would you help me out here before I go over to the RCI Board, where I never before visited.

I want a relatively new ship for her and think she'll enjoy going to St. Thomas....an Eastern itinerary. They aren't snorklers and don't want to be.

Any suggestions? I know absolutely nothing about the newer RCI ships.

Thanks.

Like I commented, KK.... :D

I think DH must be paying her too much. ;) (kidding, folks, only kidding!)

HAL holiday cruises aren't exactly low priced but I agree RCI is higher.

You may want to look at the family board. There is a frequent poster there (cruisemama?) who has set up a webpage which covers many of the issues important to families with young children. You could then make a recommendation based on which ships have in cabin babysitting, toddler pools and the age range for the children's club. Some kid's clubs start at 2 years and some at 3 years. Some provide water areas for children in diapers and some do not. Some have play areas for parents and young children.

Or maybe direct the family to the family board so they can compare the ships and decide which amenties are important to them.

I've found your comments quite useful in planning my family's first cruise- Thanks

Sail,

before I got to the part about you thinking of RCI, it was exactly my thoughts...RCI. Very good advice from another poster to check on what age the Kids Club starts at. About HAL, since it is holiday season and there will be families onboard, I wouldn't disregard it. NOW, if it were any other time, I would say definitely RCI.

Marie

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

Here is the link to the cruising with children blog. I think the site provides a great deal of specific information.

Children need to be 3 and out of diapers to use the children's club on HAL and RCI. Carnival and NCl accept 2 year olds in diapers in their children's clubs.

I hope this proves useful.

Thanks, everyone. I don't think she'd leave her little one with the kid's club. Just my guess but I think she will keep her child with her or her husband this first cruise. Maybe when a little older but not now.

I've sailed RCI exclusively until recently, and last year we did a Christmas/New Years cruise on Brilliance.

RCI is very good for families with young children, if if the child is too young to enjoy the kids' club. RCI staff seem to have a special place in their hearts for children. I don't know much about the newer ships, since the largest class I chose to sail on was the Voyager class, but the freedom class is huge and I have no desire to sail them.

The Voyager classes,Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator and Marnier for example are really nice ships. Mariner is probably my favourite of that class.

Then again, you may want to point her to HAL for her first cruise for no other reason than "to start as you mean to go on".:). If she gets hooked on cruising, it might be nice for her to get hooked on HAL.

Sail, we've done two cruise on RCI and one was a New Years cruise, we hated it. It was expensive, they were letting young ones (16-20 year olds) drink, it was very messy and not a lot of fun. We have also done about 5 New Years cruise with Hal and they have been great. Personally I would suggest Hal over RCI any day of the week. Your DH's secretary sounds like very down to earth lady, not a party animals, and I think they would enjoy Hal, more then you think.

Sail, we've done two cruise on RCI and one was a New Years cruise, we hated it. It was expensive, they were letting young ones (16-20 year olds) drink, it was very messy and not a lot of fun. We have also done about 5 New Years cruise with Hal and they have been great. Personally I would suggest Hal over RCI any day of the week. Your DH's secretary sounds like very down to earth lady, not a party animals, and I think they would enjoy Hal, more then you think.

Agreed. I did forget to mention that NYE was so awful on Brilliance, we hid in our room so as not to get hit by the glasses and bottles that were being tossed around. It was VERY loud and rowdy. The Atrium was a total disaster by 12:30 a.m.

But RCI is good with kids. I don't know. I'd probably pick HAL. If you pick one of the RCI ships going out of San Juan, (I think Adventure is still sailing out of there), there'll be lots of spanish people aboard. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they do like to party and they are Loud! :) I like RCI, but I don't know that I'd ever sail them over the holidays again.

You're the best!!!!

Thanks to your comments, I rethought my initial impulse that HAL was not the best choice for her.

I am glad I asked and especially glad you answered, Marle, Pathfinder, birder, Marie, KK.......

I found a fabulous Noordam cruise I am going to suggest.

Frankly, it's so good, I wish we were on it!!!

I'm off to get some prices for her.

Thank you MUCH for your help. You really did help me.

Sail, I suspect she'll be happier on HAL. Most of the time when I see a first-timer hating a cruise, it was a cruise during a school break with TONS of children.

I haven't sailed on RCL, but I did have a chance to tour one a few years ago with our TA (and my SILs). We were onboard as a new sailing was boarding. We were able to have lunch at the buffet. I wasn't impressed, nor were my SILs (both of whom have cruised on a number of lines).

Noordam -- haven't been on that ship -- but have haerd good reports about her.

Don't think your DH's secretary will be disappointed in that ship.

She sure better not tell him if she is disappointed with Noordam. :D May not be good for her career. (KIDDING!!!!)

That's 'our' ship.....and Maasdam.

Noordam/Maasdam/Noordam/Maasdam........

Noordam is a magnificent ship with a great crew. My hesitation was that she might look for more organized activities and young couples........ but holiday cruises always have young families.

Just reading about excessive drinking and wildness etc on RCI made me realize she absolutely would not enjoy that.

No one mentioned Princess. I started my ship obsession on Princess back in 1976, and my older sister raves about her many Princess cruises. However, I think that Noordam was a good suggestion for this young family.

No one mentioned Princess. I started my ship obsession on Princess back in 1976, and my older sister raves about her many Princess cruises. However, I think that Noordam was a good suggestion for this young family.

Our very first cruise was on Royal Princess many years ago and it was because of that cruise we continued cruising. We just knew that Princess was not the best line for us. We sailed other times on Princess and never loved it the way we love HAL.

Our last cruise on Princess was disappointing in too many ways for us to return.

But I absolutely agree that many have fabulous cruises on their ships. It isn't a 'bad' cruise line just not one I favor or recommend.

Our family spent this last New Years on the Zuiderdam. New Years is less of a family time than Christmas or Thanks giving. There were fewer kids than there were on the Oosterdam for Thanksgiving. There will be fewer kids for sure than there will be on RCCL. HAL might be more expensive than RCCL but for the extra money you get – larger cabins with more room for a crib or sofa bed, a bathtub instead of a shower, better room service options, choice of fixed or any time dining, better food and better service. The crowd will also be much less rowdy than on RCCL. Other choices to consider are Disney or Cunard, but they will probably be more expensive than HAL. Traveling with a two year old, sailing from at port close to home should be the first deciding factor considering all of the air delays over the holiday season.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

My sis and I sailed on RCI Adventure of the Seas a year ago in May. My impression was that it was noisy. The atrium was an echo chamber with sound bouncing off all surfaces day and night. Verandah cabin smaller than HAL's and the beds - ugh!! - narrow with thin mattresses on tubular frames like cots. Dining room and Lido food were only average. Encourage that young family to try the Noordam. Chances are they'll love it! If they're disappointed maybe you can convince your DH that an end-of-year bonus will take away the sting. Just kidding!!!

Like I commented, KK.... :D

I think DH must be paying her too much. ;) (kidding, folks, only kidding!)

HAL holiday cruises aren't exactly low priced but I agree RCI is higher.

I have a feeling she just doesn't realize yet how much extra she'll be paying over the holiday. As soon as she gets some prices, she'll gasp, faint, wake up and reschedule for a week or so after the holiday. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yah,,,,,,, I know..... like I need advice about an HAL cruise? :D

A secretary in my husband's office wants to take her first cruise.

She wants to cruise over New Year's (my husband must be paying her too much--doesn't she know holiday cruises are expensive? ;) ), she has a two year old and husband.

They are not party hearty but enjoy a cocktail, music and dancing. She's okay about two formal nights; he'll do it to keep her happy.

I'm thinking of suggesting RCI rather than HAL. I have a hunch that for a first cruise, she may want more organized activities and won't be an 'independent entertainer'.

Sure, I know that over the holidays there will be lots of families cruising on all the mass market lines but I somehow don't think HAL is a good match for her for her first cruise. Maybe for her second or third.

For those who have sailed RCI recently, would you help me out here before I go over to the RCI Board, where I never before visited.

I want a relatively new ship for her and think she'll enjoy going to St. Thomas....an Eastern itinerary. They aren't snorklers and don't want to be.

Any suggestions? I know absolutely nothing about the newer RCI ships.

Thanks.

My mom and her friends were on the Liberty of the Seas (LOS) recently. It was a huge ship but the TA recommended it as the newest (I think). They needed something out of Florida in April/May since most of the group is living there.

I know there were lots of activities including an ice skating show. They went twice (once each) to the specialty restaurants and said they were really good. They were also able to find an empty room on Deck 14 each day where they could play cards - so there was "space". My mom is not a cruiser but did have a good time. She said the staff was great and she had no complaints.

I recommended RCI to a family taking teenagers a few years ago. After hearing my friend's reaction to the cruise, I feel they may have liked HAL better. It is always hard to tell what a certain person or family may want.

We are taking our kids and grandkids on Westerdam next May to Alaska. The ages will be four, one, and almost one. Considering the oldest will be old enough for Club HAL and the younger ones wouldn't be old enough to leave them anyway, I figure it will work. I would have to give it some thought if they were older but now we are starting them off on HAL so we will see how they like it.

I am going to go and read that blog.

Although I have not been on a Disney cruise, I have the impression it is the best choice for families with young children. I've also heard they have some very good adult programs.

jhannah - you went on a Disney cruise recently, right? Any thoughts?

B

Archived