Las Vegas to the LA Port....

cruiser671

I am renting a car from Enterprise in Las Vegas and traveling to the LA Port for the Monarch of the Seas cruise. I see that people are getting rentals and dropping it off at the "New" Crown Plaza Enterprise and taking a shuttle from there to port.

Would it be cheaper to go ahead and drop the car off, and then after the cruise, rent another car and drive back to Vegas?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wouldn't the $36 parking charge be less than the drop charge. Plus you would have the convenience of having a car at the port, throw your bags in and away you go.

Its $48, since a three night cruise includes four days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday) and the hourly charges begin at midnight and continue until the maximum is reached. Plus there is the added expense of paying for a rental car for two days (Saturday & Sunday) that you are not going to drive it.

Enterprise is the only rental agency in San Pedro. The rest are across the bridge in Downtown Long Beach ...

San Pedro ...

SanPedro.jpg

Both San Pedro and Long Beach ...

LB-SP.jpg

Long Beach ...

LBairport.jpg

We did the opposite of the OP on a recent road trip. We rented from a "neighborhood" Enterprise location to go from Orange County to the Las Vegas area. A Friday AM - Monday AM weekend rental of a midsize with unlimited mileage was $60. The savings in fuel and wear on our F150 more than paid for the rental.

BTW, traffic on I-15 has been noticeably lighter the past few months. The only bad traffic was a 3+ mile backup at the ag inspction station outside of Barstow. We took backroads and bypassed the mess.

BTW, traffic on I-15 has been noticeably lighter the past few months. The only bad traffic was a 3+ mile backup at the ag inspction station outside of Barstow. We took backroads and bypassed the mess.

...Kenish,

...We're doing the LA-LV drive after our Paradise cruise next month. Would you mind filling me in on your "backroads tour" of I-15 around Barstow? I HATE sitting in traffic and would love to be prepared in case I see a sea of red brake lights! Thanks in advance for your help...

We took backroads and bypassed the mess.

So you are the one. This has been all over the news. The police are looking for someone who took the back roads. You better put the road back before you get caught by the police with the goods. :)

If you are renting a car make sure you can take that car out of state. Some rental agencies do not allow their cars to cross state lines. You could get a big charge if you take a Nevada car to California even if you take it back to Nevada.

I'm revealing my backroad detour with some hesitation...because then it could become the main road! But I will go ahead since it's very obvious on any county-level road map (for example Thomas Brothers or AAA San Bernardino County). It always baffles me that a detour could be so obvious and the herding instinct keeps the sheep on the Superslab!

FYI, the agricultural inspection station is southbound only. CA seems to have a problem with people bringing plants and fruit into the state. Fair 'nuf with all our past Medfly and fire ant problems.

Here goes...about 40 miles south of Baker on southbound I-15, exit at Harvard Road. Cross over the freeway to the south side. Now there's 2 choices...first one: turn right onto the frontage road between the RR tracks and the freeway. You can look over at I-15 and get back on when the traffic frees up. The frontage road goes past the ag station and almost all the way into Barstow. The other choice- instead of turning right onto the frontage road, go straight (south) on Harvard Rd. about 10 miles to the end. Turn right (west) a mile to Newberry Rd. Then left (south) and there's a ramp onto I-40 west (which merges with I-15).

Best bet is consult your favorite mapping program, it's easier to see that way than to wade through my directions! :rolleyes:

PS- If you have a Baja 1000 trophy truck and driver there are even more direct ways around the traffic...but they are not recommended in a rental car. :eek:

If you are renting a car make sure you can take that car out of state. Some rental agencies do not allow their cars to cross state lines. You could get a big charge if you take a Nevada car to California even if you take it back to Nevada.

Yup, already checked that, the place I'm renting from allows me to drive only to California, New Mexico, and Arizona. I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.:)

Yup, already checked that, the place I'm renting from allows me to drive only to California, New Mexico, and Arizona. I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.:)

Are you sure they don't mean CA, AZ, and NV (not NM)? That's what I'm accustomed to, it would seem strange they would allow you to drive to ABQ but not LAS.

Are you sure they don't mean CA, AZ, and NV (not NM)? That's what I'm accustomed to, it would seem strange they would allow you to drive to ABQ but not LAS.

Las Vegas is where I'm renting from, Doh. It doesn't matter so long as I can go to Cali.:)

Its $48, since a three night cruise includes four days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday) and the hourly charges begin at midnight and continue until the maximum is reached.

We just got off the 3-night Monarch this past weekend (6/13) - $36. Arrived about 12:30p Friday, and left about 10:00a on Monday.

We just got off the 3-night Monarch this past weekend (6/13) - $36. Arrived about 12:30p Friday, and left about 10:00a on Monday.

They weren't that nice to me. I paid $108 for an eight night cruise (and that was in 2005). I don't recall what I paid for the Monarch three night cruise in Dec 2007. I'll have to look that one up.

So, how was it? My wife and I will be going on this trip on the 11th of July, I'm excited about this because it's our first time on a cruise. Is there any advice you want to give me for a smooth sailing? Thanks.

I am renting a car from Enterprise in Las Vegas and traveling to the LA Port for the Monarch of the Seas cruise. I see that people are getting rentals and dropping it off at the "New" Crown Plaza Enterprise and taking a shuttle from there to port.

Would it be cheaper to go ahead and drop the car off, and then after the cruise, rent another car and drive back to Vegas?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

In terms of price, it really wouldn't surprize me to see that flying is actually cheaper (and a heck of a lot more interesting) than driving LAS-LGB

Archived