What Ports Should be Eliminated??

sail7seas

Let's have limits on ports so if RC and Carnival are docking their mega ships then HAL, Princess and other lines with nice people will not be overrun with the loud, drunk and obnoxious people and their broods who screw up the vacations of the rest of us. Since we don't need climbing walls, bowling alleys, hairy chest contasts and water slides we can really enjoy the best of the islands. This may make us lose St. Thomas but we could land at St. Croix which has lovely beaches and duty free but no crowds. On the other hand those ships never need to dock anywhere and just have 24 feeding events and bingo.

Let's have limits on ports so if RC and Carnival are docking their mega ships then HAL, Princess and other lines with nice people will not be overrun with the loud, drunk and obnoxious people and their broods who screw up the vacations of the rest of us. Since we don't need climbing walls, bowling alleys, hairy chest contasts and water slides we can really enjoy the best of the islands. This may make us lose St. Thomas but we could land at St. Croix which has lovely beaches and duty free but no crowds. On the other hand those ships never need to dock anywhere and just have 24 feeding events and bingo.

Bermuda has been doing this (putting restrictions on how many lines/ships can visit) for years and it seem to have paid off for them. They're doing just fine!

BTW, some folks here are mentioning Ensenada, BC, aka the "Chickletts capitol of the world.";) To my knowledge, HAL only uses Ensenada as a mandated port on cruises returning from Hawaii and then only to satisfy that always popular:rolleyes: Passenger Service Act. In other words, no one gets off the ship, not even to see Pappa's & Beer and/or Hussong's Cantina. There are no shorex and the stop over is of short duration!

The only lines that "do" Ensenada on a regular basis are Carnival and RCI and that's on the likewise very popular 3-day (FRI-MON) cruises out of L.A./Long Beach, commonly referred to as Booze Cruises.

Agree with your take on Tortola.. But we also add a stop at Pusser's for a couple of Painkillers :D ..

Bulldog

Guessing I have to re-think Tortola. It is better than a lot of the other ports (Jamaica, et al).

We've only been there on Sundays, from Noon to 9. A disadvantage, I think. Took the open air taxi over the winding mountaintop and down to Cane Garden Bay...which is awesome. But two years in a row, not so much.

Maybe a trip to Pusser's would be the frosting on the cake. ;)

Guessing I have to re-think Tortola. It is better than a lot of the other ports (Jamaica, et al).

We've only been there on Sundays, from Noon to 9. A disadvantage, I think. Took the open air taxi over the winding mountaintop and down to Cane Garden Bay...which is awesome. But two years in a row, not so much.

Maybe a trip to Pusser's would be the frosting on the cake. ;)

We were there in April. Took a shorex which included a (motor) boat trip, complete with rum tasting;) to Pusser's Landing followed by a scenic bus trip (without rum) back to the port. Had a nice time, great beaches!

sail7seas, I love Boston. I have been there twice. On those visits, I would get up early and not get back to the hotel until after 11 PM. The Freedom Walk is amazing. I enjoyed stopping at the old cemeteries and reading the head stones. Fennel Hall's food selection was incredible. The harbor cruise fantastic. On/off bus very convenient. So easy to get around by subway, plenty of transfer stations. There are still many things I would do in Boston. You live in one of my favorite cities in America. I have a treasured picture of my mom, sister, and I at Quincy Market that reminds me of your special city.

I appreciate the spirit of the people of Boston. I certainly did not mean to offend you. I don't want to eliminate Boston as a port. To me it is one of the best ports in the USA to visit. A person can easily arrange things to do on their own. IMO there are so many wonderful opportunities for people to choose from, I would recommend Boston as an overnight port.

I have also spent several days in Bar Harbor. What a charming town! Gorgeous surrounding scenery. Sailing on a 3 mast tall ship and hoisting the sails was a tremendous experience, and no noise or vibration from an engine. Wow! Everyone,try it when you have the opportunity.

When I don't get off at a port, it is because of my traveling companions needs.
They would do the same for me.

What I wanted to say is, I would not eliminate any ports. By taking away ports, it would add to the congestion in the other ports.

Thank you for your concern. Sue

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]We were there in April. Took a shorex which included a (motor) boat trip, complete with rum tasting;) to Pusser's Landing followed by a scenic bus trip (without rum) back to the port. Had a nice time, great beaches! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks, John. I will have to check that out...should we find ourselves in Tortola again...which just may happen.[/FONT] ;)

[B]Thanks, Sue...... Happy you have had enjoyable visits to Boston. We're happy to have you anytime!!! :)

No.... I don't work for Chamber of Commerce. ;)

Sheila..... Pusser's in Tortola is fun. We always walk there from the ship and DH finds a shirt or two to purchase. The bar is always busy and full of folks having fun. Nice people in Tortola.

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Thanks, Sue...... Happy you have had enjoyable visits to Boston. We're happy to have you anytime!!! :)[/B]

[B]No.... I don't work for Chamber of Commerce. ;)[/B]

[B]Sheila..... Pusser's in Tortola is fun. We always walk there from the ship and DH finds a shirt or two to purchase. The bar is always busy and full of folks having fun. Nice people in Tortola.[/B]

[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]They sell pretty good looking Pusser's Rum mugs there also. Nice place to sit on an outside terrace, have a cold one, and let the world slide by. Some descent looking yachts are tied up there!;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Looking forward to visiting Boston, Mass next year in June!;) Never forget my ride-a-long with BPD[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Copper,[/B]

[B]Hoping we get to see you and 'child bride' when you come to town. Once again, we miss sailing together by one cruise. :([/B]

[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Missed you by "that much";) We'll hook up next June, S7S [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

We loved HAINES! It is truly ALASKA!!!! It is not a "shopping for just more junk and jewlery stop". LOVED IT! LOVED IT!!

I would say No to Isle of Margarita! It was very disappointing.

[quote name='no.one']Toulon, France

We were there in April on Noordam. Two hour bus ride to St. Tropez.........not a big deal.[/quote]

But...we're just back from an unscheduled stop in Toulon (Marseille Port was on strike, protesting "high" gas prices) on June 1st. We rented a car (as we were planning to do in Marseille), and spent time in each of three coastal/beach towns...Sanray-sur-mer, Bandol, and Cassis....loved them (especially Sanray and Cassis), and the drive...spectacular! I speak pretty fair French, so that helps.

I'm an adventurer, so travel of any kind, anywhere, is pretty much of a positive, but I have to agree on Acapulco....beautiful location, but nasty place!

Kevin

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Thanks, Sue...... Happy you have had enjoyable visits to Boston. We're happy to have you anytime!!! :)[/B]

[B]No.... I don't work for Chamber of Commerce. ;)[/B]

[B]Sheila..... Pusser's in Tortola is fun. We always walk there from the ship and DH finds a shirt or two to purchase. The bar is always busy and full of folks having fun. Nice people in Tortola.[/B]

[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thank you, Sail...we'll definitely have to do that when/if we're in Tortola again. The chances are that we will be...so many HAL itineraries include Tortola.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]

[quote name='W8tn2sail']Isla de Margarita, for sure.[/quote]

Not one of my favorites either.

I would also add, Guadalope or is it Guadalupe ? Whatever !

I have been there twice. The last time, I never saw so many police ! We got off the ship and they were everywhere around the ship and the main street. It gave me the creeps. There were no cabs available to do any type of private tours.

[quote name='orangearmy']Any ports where Royal Caribbean's Monsters of the sea will be stopping. With their passenger load it would be like having 2 or 3 normal ships there.[/quote]

Monsters of the Sea...I love it!!:D

I vote for St. Thomas, too, but mainly because it was soooo commercialized. We didn't enjoy our stop at all.

[quote name='gizmo']Not one of my favorites either.

I would also add, Guadalope or is it Guadalupe ? Whatever !

I have been there twice. The last time, I never saw so many police ! We got off the ship and they were everywhere around the ship and the main street. It gave me the creeps. There were no cabs available to do any type of private tours.[/quote]

We stopped at Guadalupe on our 1st HAL cruise over ten years ago. Took one of the HAL tours and really enjoyed our visit. Lots of rolling green hills and pretty French girls. Whats not to like?;)

:mad: Just checked in and the picture on the front page of CC was depressing. Saint Thomas looks like a beautiful town and harbor [COLOR="Red"]except there were 3 horizontal hotels tied up. :eek: [/COLOR]

[quote name='jimmy2x']We stopped at Guadalupe on our 1st HAL cruise over ten years ago. Took one of the HAL tours and really enjoyed our visit. Lots of rolling green hills and pretty French girls. Whats not to like?;)[/quote]

That was over ten years ago. I also was there around 1996 and took a tour from one of the locals. It was fine. There were plenty of cabs and vans lined up at the dock.

This past trip in 2005, the police gave me and many others, the creeps. I never saw so many police around the ship and dock. There were NO cabs lined up at the dock nor where they available anywhere.
Shopping is very,very exspensive.

Archived