Does anyone own or have used a Panasonic Lumix dmc-fz18k

I'm looking for a camera that is not bulky with the most zoom. The

Panasonic Lumix dmc-fz18 has caught my eye. I presently have an

A100 Canon and and old Minolta with several lenses. Don't want to cart heavy camera around Alaska but don't want to miss those good shots that need a zoom. Any info would be appreciated.

A100 Canon and and old Minolta with several lenses. Don't want to cart heavy camera around Alaska but don't want to miss those good shots that need a zoom. Any info would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the last page of an exhaustive review of the camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/page16.asp

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ18/FZ18A.HTM

For comparison another of the favorites:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/page20.asp

It is a great superzoom if you also want to get a true wide angle 28m effective 35mm on it.

Either way its a step up from the A100 for sure and you sure won't need to swap lenses. But for low light nothing beats a DSLR

If you already have Minolta lenses, take a look at the Sony A200 DSLR. Very compact and accepts all Minolta A-mount autofocus lenses. Since it has in-body stabilzation, all Minolta, Sony and the new Zeiss A-mount lenses are image-stabilized. It's also on promotion from Sony right now for $499 including an 18-70mm zoom lens or $699 including the 18-70mm and a 70-300mm. Interchangeable lenses give you a lot more choices than a super-zoom and Alaska can take all the camera you can carry!

Full disclosure: I'm a long-time Minolta user and now shoot with a Minilta 7D and a Sony A700.

Dave

I very recently purchased this camera. I have mixed emotions. I researched thouroughly before I bought it. It ability to take wide angle AND go to 18X zoom were a major selling point due to our planned Alaskan cruise. The wide angle will assure I get more into landscape pictures.............and the zoom will assure that I get more closeups of wildlife.

On the downside.......the manual is terribly complicated. I knew that going in from the reviews. This camera has the ability to be make automatic settings, but it has the capability to make manuel settings. So, I see the need to get out and practice, practice, practice before our cruise.

Choosing to see the silver lining..........it is a great camera to LEARN the basics of REAL photography, but still take good pictures on automatic until then.

Please let me know if you choose to get the camera and how it works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

last year my son's fairly new camera quit working right in the AIRPORT:eek: before he left for france. he was 16 @ the time and i didn't want him trying to scramble to buy a camera when he got there or by himself in an airport, so we purchased the panasonic dmc tz3 in the airport in tampa. it took phenomonal pictures while in was in france, even in low light castle, etc situations and obviously on a very short learning curve.

anyway, for what it's worth, it turned out to be a great choice for him at the time. i use (used) it all the time. i just bought a canon dslr that i am working on learning to use before our alaska cruise:)

beth

• 4 weeks later...

We bought the Panasonic Lumix dmc-fz18k and I pick up the book and read and reread every couple days.. I am slowly learning how to use this camera. I love what it can do so far. I still need to practice but I am getting a handle on it. I don't think the manual is hard to read. Sometimes we make it harder for ouselves than it really is.

My DH did not want to go with a dslr and i think this was best next thing.

Barbevrn let me know how your shots come out on your trip. we will be on the sapphire 8/30.

Archived