Grandeur questions

We are sailing next week and I have a few last minute inquiries that I did not previously see answers to.

Is the pool open when you embark? (we were very disappointed on our last cruise on Celebrity that the pool was not open on that first day)

Do they open the retractable roof on the solarium pool upon leaving port? I know it is in Norfolk, but it should be warm enough.

Which deck do you enter the ship on? and which side? (I always like to get a sense of direction before I get on)

I loved reading the new menu listings for RC - if it is a 5 night cruise, do they normally just go by the first five listed?

Does anyone know if on the five night cruise to Bermuda, formal night is the second night? (the sea day - that is what I would figure since we are docked overnight in Bermuda for night three)

Has anyone been in a 'sideways' cabin on this ship? there are a lot of them by looking at the deck plans. I have had this 'sideways' layout cabin on Celebrity Century and really liked it. Just looking for a specific to this ship.

We have large inside - category K.

Lastly, it looks like Bermuda follows Atlantic Time Zone, which would be an hour different. If so, when does the ship change their time to accommodate?

I know this is a list of questions, but they are all little things I'm just wondering about as this last week of preparation begins...!!!

thanks in advance to any and all that can help!

The pool should be open--it will be hot enough! I've yet to be on a ship with a covered solarium where they actually opened the roof--even in the Caribbean, they kept it closed the entire time. Yuck--no tan!

The side of the ship will depend on which way the ship is docked--they don't do it the same way all the time! There will be someone to point you in the right direction!

Formal night is almost always night 2.

Don't know about the sideways cabins--haven't had one!!

As far as "time" goes--it depends on the Captain as to whether he changes time--don't worry about it---all you will need to know is the "ship's time"--it doesn't matter what time it is anywhere else! If there is a time change, they will announce it, and the ship's clocks will change to reflect the correct time.

The pool should be open--it will be hot enough! I've yet to be on a ship with a covered solarium where they actually opened the roof--even in the Caribbean, they kept it closed the entire time. Yuck--no tan!

Enchantment opened and closed her solarium roof when I was onboard in January. It was kinda cool watching it.

If they haven't already opened the solarium roof, just call the purser's desk and ask them to have it opened. They opened it almost every day in April once it got hot. The only trouble is, once they open the roof, the deck gets very hot, better have some pool shoes with you.

Thanks to all that shared information!

I have cruised several times, but just want to know as much as I can before we board. There are still always things that surprise me though.

Wraithe - I enjoyed looking through all your pictures and reports.

I am also from near Pittsburgh - 1 hour north - New Castle.

We will be driving to N. VA to visit my daughter on our way to Norfolk, then make the trip to the ship the next day.

Wraithe - I enjoyed looking through all your pictures and reports. I am also from near Pittsburgh - 1 hour north - New Castle.

That's cool, my wife is from that area, Mt. Jackson. My inlaws still live up there and we're in the area often.

We are sailing next week and I have a few last minute inquiries that I did not previously see answers to.

Is the pool open when you embark? (we were very disappointed on our last cruise on Celebrity that the pool was not open on that first day)

Do they open the retractable roof on the solarium pool upon leaving port? I know it is in Norfolk, but it should be warm enough.

Which deck do you enter the ship on? and which side? (I always like to get a sense of direction before I get on)

I loved reading the new menu listings for RC - if it is a 5 night cruise, do they normally just go by the first five listed?

Does anyone know if on the five night cruise to Bermuda, formal night is the second night? (the sea day - that is what I would figure since we are docked overnight in Bermuda for night three)

Has anyone been in a 'sideways' cabin on this ship? there are a lot of them by looking at the deck plans. I have had this 'sideways' layout cabin on Celebrity Century and really liked it. Just looking for a specific to this ship.

Lastly, it looks like Bermuda follows Atlantic Time Zone, which would be an hour different. If so, when does the ship change their time to accommodate?

I know this is a list of questions, but they are all little things I'm just wondering about as this last week of preparation begins...!!!

thanks in advance to any and all that can help!

Just back from the June 7th sailing out of Baltimore. We used deck 1 to enter and leave the ship. Second night was formal night and and the night that we set out watches an hour ahead. Once we left Bermuda, we were told to set our watches back an hour before going to bed that night. The roof of the Solarium on our cruise was closed. I do think I saw some people using the pool before we left Baltimore.

Loved our cruise, the staff was fantastic! My only "complaint" was that I was so looking forward to sailing with Capt Rob after all the wonderful comments on this board. Unfortunately, our sailing was the beginning of a six week vacation for him.

Answers based on our BTB in April. ;)

At least one pool was always open. The roof on the solarium was open sometimes and closed sometimes.

Boarding was on deck 3 port side. Debarkation was on Deck 2 port side. Excursion ports we debarked from deck 1 and the side varied.

Sorry, we were on a special repositioning cruise and not the 5 night.

Almost every cruise we have taken with RCI has had a formal night on the second night.

We were not in an inside cabin, can't help with this one.

Captain Rob changed time the day before every port we went to that had a time change. I assume this was to make sure everyone had time to adjust to the change before we ported.

Bon Voyage!

I think the pool is open when you get on. We usually go to the Windjammer at 11:30 when we get on. I know the pool is open when we're finished with lunch.

We've never seen the roof open over the solarium. They may be able to open it if asked.

Formal night is night 2. The third night you are in Bermuda fourth night you have just left Bermuda at 4 and the fifth night you are packing to get off the next morning.

I've been on a sideways cabin on Celebrity. They made the room feel larger because you came in between the bathroom/closet area and the beds. Don't know if we actually had any more room.

Most of the time in Baltimore boarding is on deck 2 (wheel chairs and others can get on at deck 1). Once in a while everyone gets on deck 1. I'm not sure what makes the difference.

Usually they have you turn your watch back the first night so you have the sea day to adjust to the time change. Same thing for coming back. Change time on the sea day. We've only done the cruise once during the summer but I think we've changed the time even during July.

J

Loved our cruise, the staff was fantastic! My only "complaint" was that I was so looking forward to sailing with Capt Rob after all the wonderful comments on this board. Unfortunately, our sailing was the beginning of a six week vacation for him.

Does that mean Capt Rob will be back for our cruise out of Norfolk leaving July 24th??? I've heard so many great things about him I was disappointed when I heard he'd be on vacation.

Thanks again for even more answers!

It's interesting to see that some answers vary, regarding the time difference, etc.

I am just so excited to go in 5 days, I am trying to soak up as much information as possible.

I'm not sure which is more fun - first time cruise - or - to know what to expect and experience even more from a new ship and port...;)

Archived