What is the Baked Alaska Parade?

roe2ship

Please fill me in on this.........do waiters parade around the dining room with flaming deserts? I only had PC dining so it must only be done in Traditional dining, right? Is this similiar to a farewell party from the cruise staff that some lines have?

It does seem like a nice touch, but some either love it or love to hate it.

It is a tradition with Princess - waiters and asst waiters parade with flaming baked Alaskas with house lights off - It is in traditional and I have seen it in PC dining on the Regal and Sun recently. But don't bet on it.

It's Cool!!

Ron

Please fill me in on this.........do waiters parade around the dining room with flaming deserts? I only had PC dining so it must only be done in Traditional dining, right? Is this similiar to a farewell party from the cruise staff that some lines have?

It does seem like a nice touch, but some either love it or love to hate it.

Yep that's exactly what it is, parading assistant waiters with flaming Baked Alaska. I believe it is only done in the Traditional dining room as only there is it desert time for the majority of diners. Those that hate it probably just hate the Baked Alaska as it is by far not the best desert Princess serves. We were on one ship, I believe it was the Coral (but don't hold me to that) where they could not do the parade as the ceilings were to low and the sprinkler system would have activated. This parade is not to be confused with the napkin waving one on Italian night when the head Chef leads the parade. That one includes no fire, just lots of hooting and hollering.

If it's been in PC dining, it would be very rare since it's timed for when most diners are ready for dessert. I thought it was just in traditional dining rooms for that reason.

It's a fun parade that I've always enjoyed even if I'm not a fan of Baked Alaska. It's kind of traditional and something I'd hate to see go away.

Archived