Books to read, movies to see

Peregrina651

What do you suggest?

I am trying to get together a reading and viewing list for our cruise around the Horn. I would like to see movies/documentaries made or set in Argentina (subtitles are okay). I also want to read books by authors from the countries we are visiting (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Falkland Islands).

I have found one book entitled The Argentina Reader: History, Culture, Politics which has a varied selection of short readings.

What have you read or seen?

THE OFFICIAL STORY (movie). This will help you understand why Argentinian mothers marched in the Plaza de Mayo every Thursday at 3:30PM to demand the return of their adult children kidnapped by the armed forces--1970's. I saw them about four years ago and it was very impressive. However, I don't know if they still march.

If your visiting Cordoba maybe reading/seeing the MOTORCYCLE DIARIES re Che Guevara. Che lived as a child in Alta Gracia in the Sierras of Cordoba. He also was from BA.

I read a biography of Eva Peron (sorry I can't recall the author) and found it very interesting. Of course, 'Evita' (the flim) would give you some of the same background.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions - and to you, Peregrina for starting the thread!

:)

Dot

I found this title in the cheap specials tray of my local bookstore.

Rounding the Horn by Dallas Murphy 2004 ISBN 029784766 x

It is a really good read and interweaves the history of Cape Horn with a recent visit on a small ship.

I'm going to read Bridges book next .. in between listening to and reading endless convoluted spanish verbs and nouns .. I'm hoping to set foot on Cape Horn in January.

THE OFFICIAL STORY (movie). This will help you understand why Argentinian mothers marched in the Plaza de Mayo every Thursday at 3:30PM to demand the return of their adult children kidnapped by the armed forces--1970's. I saw them about four years ago and it was very impressive. However, I don't know if they still march.

Yes, Las Madres (y Las Abuelas, the grandmothers) still march. A few years ago I had the privilege of hearing them speak at U-MASS/Boston. They risked capture and torture to do what they did. There is a documentary out about Las Madres but I can't remember if it is the Official Story or another one.

There are a number of films out about The Dirty War. There was also a huge body of literature produced during that period or about that period (more stuff that I can't bring myself to read because of its horribly graphic nature). Among those titles is Prisoner Without Name, Cell Without Number by Jacobo Timmerman--but it is the only title that I remember that has been translated into English.

I just ordered The Buried Mirror by Carlos Fuentes. I'll let you know what I think about it as soon as I read it.

In the meantime, I am off to check out all of your other suggestions.

Thank you all and keep those suggestions coming.

Thank you for recommendation re The Dirty War.--Prisoner Without Name---I understand that it is an important read about this terrible point in their history.

I always remember asking a group of intellectuals in Tucuman during my visit about how this era played out in their own histories--they did not want to discuss it--too painful.

How interesting for you to have heard the voices of the Abuelas!!! Good luck on reading Fuentes.

I would like to see movies/documentaries made or set in Argentina (subtitles are okay).

If you want to see a few of the sights of Buenos Aires, better understand issues during the financial crisis of 2001, understand much of the issues with politics, and understand the business environment and how workers are responding, I'd strongly suggest the Take. It was produced by Avi Lewis and Naomi Klein and tells a very interesting story.

You can see the trailer through the link below. The movie may be available at some libraries, or you can purchase the movie from the website. The movie and trailer can be found at:

http://www.thetake.org/index.cfm?page_name=watch_the_trailer

I've traveled throughout BsAs and have visited some of the sites in the film - the efforts by workers in these areas is simply amazing. To hear their stories and understand their passion for providing for their families... very powerful.

If anyone checks this out - let me know what you think. I'm interested in your perceptions.

I always remember asking a group of intellectuals in Tucuman during my visit about how this era played out in their own histories--they did not want to discuss it--too painful.

Like asking a Holocaust survivor. It took many, many years before they would talk about their experiences--and still many never never did. The people of Chile and Argentina suffered a similar horror.

However, the writers and the movie makers have spoken out and there is a large body of writings from Chilean and Argentinian authors--I just don't know how much of it has been actually translated into English. There are a few readings in The Argentina Reader.

Good luck on reading Fuentes.

Yeah, LOL! For some perverse reason, I decided to get it in Spanish.

• 3 weeks later...

"Miracle in the Andes" by Nando Parrado

"The Last Time Around Cape Horn- The Historic 1949 Voyage of the Windjammer Pamir" by William F. Stark

"Judge and Jury" by James Patterson (Fiction) part of story in Ushuaia

What do you suggest?

I am trying to get together a reading and viewing list for our cruise around the Horn. I would like to see movies/documentaries made or set in Argentina (subtitles are okay). I also want to read books by authors from the countries we are visiting (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Falkland Islands).

I have found one book entitled The Argentina Reader: History, Culture, Politics which has a varied selection of short readings.

What have you read or seen?

Look at my videos and pictures :D

Look at my videos and pictures :D

Dileep, of course I've seen your pictures -- and read and recommended your travelogue. :)

Travelight, thanks for the suggestions. That stack by my bed is getting taller and taller!

Archived