Packing

2bythesea

With all the new rules and fees, does any one have a good technique or game plan on packing. I have cruised one other time and overpacked. Hauling my luggage was a nightmare. Can you get an iron or steamer on the ship? I am afraid my husband's suit will be wrinkled. Not to mention he is a clothes horse. He played a golf tournament in Florida for one week and just about took everything he owned. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ahoy..sailing on the Carnival Valor on October 5th!

If you are fortunate enough to be on a line that has self-serve laundries (Royal Caribbean does not) you can easily pack half the underwear, socks and shirts. Choose shoes that go with several outfits so you only need one or two pairs.

I make a pile of everything I want to take then separate it into "need to take" and "can leave home" piles. Then take the "need to take" pile and divide it into "must have" and "really not sure" piles. I pack everything in the "must have" pile and allow myself to pick a few items from the "not so sure" pile.

I find this a great opportunity to leave my Tuxedo and all the accessories at home on the next cruise.

Though I did not use one, I believe from reading these boards that the laundry rooms on board have irons you can use. (I do not think you have to pay to use them either, but you can not take them from the laundry room) I have not heard that they provide steamers. Many people recommend wrinkle release spray.

About.com has a great cruise packing list if you do a search for it on there.

Loved the Valor by the way, enjoy!!!

My technique is "The List"

I make a list of what I NEED to take (not what I WANT to take). Everything has to go with something else. In other words, I'll pack 3-4 pairs of capris for a 7-day Caribbean cruise, but each will have 2 tops to coordinate. Once the list is complete, do not add things "just in case" or "because there's still room."

Pick a single "base" color, especially for evening wear. That way you can take only 1 pair of shoes, purse, accessories that will match all. I usually stick with black. For formals, I have a black silk long skirt and I bring 2 different dressy tops to go with it. For casual, 2 pair of nice black pants and tops that can mix and match with those.

I never take more than 5 pair of shoes: 2 pair of walking/everyday shoes, 1 pair of dress shoes, 1 pair of pool shoes, and one extra pair (my indulgence....)

Keep the formal clothes on the hanger inside a plastic bag from your dry cleaner. If you don't have a dry cleaner bag, create your own by inverting a plastic trash bag over your outfit and poke the hanger through the bottom seam of the bag. Then just place the bag in your suitcase and fold it over meatly. For some magical reason, the clothes do not wrinkle inside the bag, even if you place other items on top of it or pack the suitcase rather tightly.

With all the new rules and fees, does any one have a good technique or game plan on packing. I have cruised one other time and overpacked. Hauling my luggage was a nightmare. Can you get an iron or steamer on the ship? I am afraid my husband's suit will be wrinkled. Not to mention he is a clothes horse. He played a golf tournament in Florida for one week and just about took everything he owned. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ahoy..sailing on the Carnival Valor on October 5th!

If you take a travel iron, just pack it in your regular suitcase - I've never had a problem taking one along and there have never been any fire incidents in my cabin! It uses very low voltage and I'm extremely careful all the time to put a towel on the chair. You can get a great travel iron/steamer combination at Target. I believe my husband paid around $20 for it and it works great!

Laurie

If you take a travel iron, just pack it in your regular suitcase - I've never had a problem taking one along and there have never been any fire incidents in my cabin! It uses very low voltage and I'm extremely careful all the time to put a towel on the chair. You can get a great travel iron/steamer combination at Target. I believe my husband paid around $20 for it and it works great!

Laurie

Again, another one that thinks the rules don't apply to them......

I believe Carnival has laundry rooms, which include an iron and board.

As Cynthia and Donna recommded, 1. Pack formal and evening wear in light plastic dry cleaner bags leaving outfits on hangers. My local drycleaner will sell me a few. Hang up clothes as soon as possible once your luggage arrives. Mine are often packed several days before sailing due to timing and pre-cruise stay. A can of Wrinkle Remover is a good purchase. It does come in travel size. 2. Pack Tight - don't leave room for stuff to move around. Put socks in shoes at the back or sides of the suitcase. 3. Reduce the amount of shoes you take. Wear sneakers if you need them for exercise or walking. - I know this is a hard one for us ladies. 4. Choose a basic color like black. 5. If you are gone for 8 days, bring 4 casual daytime shorts or capri's with 2 coordinating shirts each. Two swimsuits w/ one coverup.

6. Limit hand bag to very small evening bag. Stuff with small stuff. I never travel with a regular purse but have a fold up beach bag or backpack on the outside of my suitcase. 7. No hairdryer (or Hot Rollers) as you should have one in your cabin. Just bring a curling iron, pack in outside pocket of suitcase. If you must have "curls", go to a Beauty Supply store and get rubber roller sticks for about $6 per bag. They are light weight and really curl your hair. Limit personal care products to travel sizes as well as makeup products. Remember though if you are flying, either pack your liquids in the checked luggage or have only 3 ounce containers that will fit in the Quart Size Zip lock baggie in your Tote bag. Bring as Large a Tote or Roll-on as airline restrictions will allow. I now have two rolling totes, which are great.

A great investment is the Eagle Pak-It envelope system folders. I own several. You put pants in first, a coordingating shirt, next pants or shorts, shirt, etc. to create about 6 to 8 outfits and fold over legs and seal sides. This really saves space and wrinkles. I swear by them.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

I make a list of what I NEED to take (not what I WANT to take). Everything has to go with something else. In other words, I'll pack 3-4 pairs of capris for a 7-day Caribbean cruise, but each will have 2 tops to coordinate. Once the list is complete, do not add things "just in case" or "because there's still room."

Pick a single "base" color, especially for evening wear. That way you can take only 1 pair of shoes, purse, accessories that will match all. I usually stick with black. For formals, I have a black silk long skirt and I bring 2 different dressy tops to go with it. For casual, 2 pair of nice black pants and tops that can mix and match with those.

I never take more than 5 pair of shoes: 2 pair of walking/everyday shoes, 1 pair of dress shoes, 1 pair of pool shoes, and one extra pair (my indulgence....)

This strategy works for me too. I use it for land travel too. I travel often enough that I find it helpfut to keep a liitle cosmetic bag packed with small sizes of essential toiletries .

I keep the lists on my computer - it is helpful to refer to the list when planning a similar trip.

This year I plan on taking a bigger carry on and I will have more of my clothes in the carry on so that my formal clothes can fit in my suitcase. I'm also planning to rotate my clothes and wash them on the ship.

YES, mix n match is The Best. I limit myself to 3 pair of shoes, tho, wearing the heaviest to fly, even tho it may be a bigger pain at security, where I'd much rather wear slip-ons for efficiency.

I lay everything out that I plan to take on the guest bed at home and count how many outfits I can get out of what I have. Hopefully I remove some stuff from the pile. I'm getting better at resisting "just in case" items but will almost always buy a tshirt or sweatshirt as a souvenir.

Archived