taking kids out of school in ga for cruise

my2kids

My Dh and I are taking my DS 7 and DD 4 out of school next september 09 for a 7 night western on disney. has anyone taken their kids out for that long that live in ga? I am not sure if our school system has a policy for family vacation or not- my son will be in second grade and my daughter in Prek. Thanks.Any advice?

Hi my2kids. What school system are you in? I can find out for you as my sister teaches in Fulton County. In FL, we get 20 days for the year and after that, you need a doctors excuse or would be at risk of repeating a grade. Vacations are not excused absences. You can ask your teacher for schoolwork for your 2nd grader. It will not be a big deal. We took our son out for a week to go to Sea Island during the spring and he had a blast. We agreed beforehand that he needed to spend 20 minutes a day on his schoolwork which he was happy to do since he got to play for the rest of the day. Have a great trip.

We live in Cherokee County in GA and we are lucky. We get a week off in Sept. We took a cruise last Sept and we are going on another this Sept. I know there are a few other counties surrounding Atlanta are doing the same school calender. If we did not have this break we would not be traveling. My kids can only miss 7 days of school for the year excused or not excused. After that we would have to file an appeal.

hey guys, we live in carroll county and i am pretty sure we get 10 days unexcused absences but i could be wrong. I am not sure about the vacations i do not think they are excused because of title one distinguished school stuff. thanks.

They will be unexcused absences - however - it is second grade - don't worry about it - I am in Cobb county. After 5 unexcused they contact you - incase you aren't aware I guess. After 10 they send a letter. Hoepfully he won't be sick the rest of the year.

Do it now - it gets harder to miss school the older they get.

If it is a GA funded preK - you might have more problems than the elem school - you might need to check that out.

good luck

I'm "up the road" in TN, and it's a big deal here. Part of the school systems' state and federal funding in TN is based on school attendance. So if a child is out for 7-14 days on a trip, it has an impact.

Roz

Archived