Kyoto - is there much to see?

Lobbylin

We are docked overnight in Osaka for Kyoto in March 09, arriving 3pm on day 1 and sailing 6pm on day 2.

It is unlikely we will return to Japan after this cruise so would like to experience as much as we can. Is it worthwhile for us to travel to Kyoto and stay overnight in a hotel to make the most of sightseeing, or is there also sights closer to Osaka worth sightseeing?

How far is Kyoto from Osaka?

Is Japan expensive....?

Thanks Linda :)

(Our cruise includes stops at other Japanese ports: Fukuoka and Hiroshima)

Kyoto is the old imperial capital of Japan. There are more interesting things to see there than just about anywhere else in Japan.

Kyoto is quite close to Osaka - about 30 minutes away by train.

No need to stay in a hotel. Use the ship as your base and take the trains.

http://www.jr.com will give you all the railway info in English

For Americans, Japan is indeed expensive.

Thanks Philip217:)

I have been doing some research and I can see Japan is expensive (for us Brits, too) so we will use the ship as our base.

I am not sure I have the confidence to use the public transport system as I am sure all the signage on arrival will be in Japanese, so may have to go with the ships tours here (which I am never fond of)

I have lived in Japan for almost two years. Except for housing in Tokyo, Japan is not expensive. Hotels are reasonable; even in Tokyo and Kyoto. Food is cheap. Transportation a little high but still not bad.

A week is too short a time in Kyoto. However, given the excellent train service, I would tend to agree with previous advice to stay on ship. I would tend to go with a private guide since you have only a day and a half. You could spend that much time and only see a small number of the wonderful sites trying to do it on your own.

Mr Levin

All the private guides I have found websites on for Kyoto are looking for US$400 for a full days sightseeing, so whilst that is my preferred option it is more than I would want to spend, yet I still want the personal touch:rolleyes: .

At this moment I am trying to find out if there are Goodwill Guides that will accompany us from Osaka to take us round the Kyoto sights to try and keep my costs down.:)

If you have any recommendations/suggestions, they would be gratefully received.

How expensive a particular place is has something to do with one's own perspective colored by experience. I was born and raised in Japan, spent half of my life there, and still go to Japan at least once a year and spend many weeks in the country every year.

I remember growing up in Japan thinking "Why the h**l is everything so expensive?" It was true 40 years ago, and to me, it is still true, if somehow muted in terms of price escalation. Now that my home currency is U.S. dollars, Japan is even more of a killer country to me in terms of cost.

I speak with my friends in Japan about this issue, and they themselves say "It's amazing how quickly a 10,000 yen bill (about US $95) can vanish around here."

There are less expensive if not cheap ways to get around in Japan, but for most people touring the country with a limited amount of time, doing so would be a challenge. Time is often a great equalizer of expenses, giving you more options to explore and obtain better prices. If you are pressed for time, however, costs rise accordingly in any country, but in Japan, they can rise in a hurtful way.

At least, that is my perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Philip217:)

I have been doing some research and I can see Japan is expensive (for us Brits, too) so we will use the ship as our base.

I am not sure I have the confidence to use the public transport system as I am sure all the signage on arrival will be in Japanese, so may have to go with the ships tours here (which I am never fond of)

From everything I have read, the signage is in English as well as Japanese and the train system is incredibly easy to navigate (as well as extremely reliable and safe).

Give it a try -- it's what we plan to do next summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In 2006, we toured Kyoto for the day, from Osaka. We used Sunrise Tours. They took us round-trip to Kyoto on the train, where we boarded buses. The tour started at 7 am and ended in Osaka at 7 pm... a very long day but we saw an amazing amount of venues. We definitely couldn't have seen as much on our own.

• 1 month later...

If I had only one full day in Kyoto, I'd take the ship's tour. Kyoto was the imperial capital for over a thousand years, and the city is filled with famous gardens and temples. If you aren't familiar with Japanese history or art, you wouldn't know which ones to go to in your limitted time there. One can easily spend a week there. I'd assume the ship's tour will take you to the most famous tourist sights that foreigners love, such as Golden Temple or Gion, the geisha district.

• 3 weeks later...
We are docked overnight in Osaka for Kyoto in March 09, arriving 3pm on day 1 and sailing 6pm on day 2.

It is unlikely we will return to Japan after this cruise so would like to experience as much as we can. Is it worthwhile for us to travel to Kyoto and stay overnight in a hotel to make the most of sightseeing, or is there also sights closer to Osaka worth sightseeing?

Here is a post I made in the Crystal forum which might be of help to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16058210&postcount=19

I would say that there may be more to see in Kyoto than in most other cities in Asia, let alone the country of Japan, depending upon your interests, of course. If you can visit shrines (which are surrounded by lovely gardens) without being in a large tour, then I would do that for the solitude, unless hearing the facts and figures provided by tour guides is important to you (it's not for me). Japan is not difficult to tour now that most major tourist-oriented and transportation signs are in English, too, and Japanese people are very willing to assist strangers.

When you are in Hiroshima, make sure you visit Miyajima Island if you have the time. It's spectacular.

Kyoto is just about the only major city in Japan that was not burned to the ground during the WWII. So there's a lot to see there. There isn't much left of old in Tokyo, except here and there in little pockets, because of the intense American fire bombing.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

When I first posted my question 6 months ago asking if there is much to see, I had no idea about Osaka/Kyoto, but with everyone's help and a little more research, I think this is going to be one of the highlights of our cruise and have now booked a local guide who will accompany us:)

Hi Linda,

Is there any chance you would be willing to share the info on your guide and allow me to get the value of all your research? We will be there March 6th.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle what is your email address as I am reluctant to publish her details publicly before I have toured with her.

She is a licenced guide, as opposed to a goodwill guide.

Linda :)

Archived