Which would you choose? Land OR Sea?

beynac

I'm sure I'm asking a completely biased group, but we're trying to plan a Disney vacation for September 09, and I'm struggling between the decision to do a land-based vacation or a Disney cruise. I figured there are several here who have done both and can give me some insight.

To begin with, we are not interested in doing both on the same vacation, with their combo land/sea vacations. We're looking at a week long trip - either a 7-day cruise or 6ish nights at a resort, either a moderate Disney or somewhere off site.

At the time of travel, we'll have a 4.5 year old and a 1 year old. From some rough pricing, it looks like the cruise would be at least a 1/3 more than the land trip.

The cruise option is appealing in many ways. Great activities, child care options in case husband and I wanted to do dinner on our own (for example), and an incredible family experience. The land option is also appealing since I would love to take my son to Magic Kingdom, and grandparents may join us for the land option which would provide some occasional child care options. It also looks to be more economical. I should also add that we are not go-go-go people. If we did land, we wouldn't spend every single day at the parks. There would be a couple of pool days/relaxing mixed in.

Part of my concern with the cruise is that it seems it may be worthwhile to wait until both kids are of age to take advantage of the kids club activities and are a bit more independent so we can all participate in a full cruise experience. We don't take trips like this every year, so I want to make it count.

On the flip side, this is our last year to not have restrictions with school (as my son will be in Kindergarten the following year), and we can take advantage of the less expensive September rates.

Enough rambling. Any insights? Is a 1 year old too young for a 7-day cruise? Would land make more sense at these ages? Thanks if you have read this far.

I would probably choose a land vacation. With a 1 year old, you will have more options on land and more flexibility. You would be able to do all of the attractions at your own pace which is nice. In addition, September is in the middle of hurricane season....not the best time to cruise. Now I know plenty of people who have had no problems with the weather but it still is a gamble. Let us know what you decide to do! I am sure either way, you will have a wonderful time!

I would go with the land based trip as well. With the cruise option don't forget that the cost of the cruise is only the first step. Tips, excursions, drinks, etc. add up on a 7 day cruise.

Keep in mind that September in Central Florida can still be quite hot, so plan accordingly. Best option would be to stay on Disney property. That would give you the ability to hit the parks early when lines are short(er) and before the day heats up, you can head back to the hotel mid day and spend time at the pool, and then go back in the evening if you're up to it. Disney meal plans would help you control costs. Pools at the moderate hotels are nice.

What ever you do, have a great time.

I would go with the land. I would wait until the 1 yr old is 3, that makes it so much easier with kids clubs etc etc. Also it might be easier to keep nap schedules. maybe hang out at the pool while the little one sleeps.

why cant you take your son out of school in Sept? We take our kids out every year, and our cruise ship had over 1000 kids on it last year, so apparently we are not the only ones.

I'm sure I'm asking a completely biased group, but we're trying to plan a Disney vacation for September 09, and I'm struggling between the decision to do a land-based vacation or a Disney cruise. I figured there are several here who have done both and can give me some insight.

To begin with, we are not interested in doing both on the same vacation, with their combo land/sea vacations. We're looking at a week long trip - either a 7-day cruise or 6ish nights at a resort, either a moderate Disney or somewhere off site.

At the time of travel, we'll have a 4.5 year old and a 1 year old. From some rough pricing, it looks like the cruise would be at least a 1/3 more than the land trip.

The cruise option is appealing in many ways. Great activities, child care options in case husband and I wanted to do dinner on our own (for example), and an incredible family experience. The land option is also appealing since I would love to take my son to Magic Kingdom, and grandparents may join us for the land option which would provide some occasional child care options. It also looks to be more economical. I should also add that we are not go-go-go people. If we did land, we wouldn't spend every single day at the parks. There would be a couple of pool days/relaxing mixed in.

Part of my concern with the cruise is that it seems it may be worthwhile to wait until both kids are of age to take advantage of the kids club activities and are a bit more independent so we can all participate in a full cruise experience. We don't take trips like this every year, so I want to make it count.

On the flip side, this is our last year to not have restrictions with school (as my son will be in Kindergarten the following year), and we can take advantage of the less expensive September rates.

Enough rambling. Any insights? Is a 1 year old too young for a 7-day cruise? Would land make more sense at these ages? Thanks if you have read this far.

Why are you not considering a land/sea combo. 3 days with your younger children should be enough to see the key things in the park, then you can get on the boat for another few relaxing days. I think 7 days of either will be a bit much unless you simply love that specific aspect of the Disney experience. We did the 4 days disney world and 3 day cruise a few years back when our kids were 2 and 4 and it worked out well.

Traveling out of peak, 3 days should be more then enough time to hit all the age appropriate attractions at the parks. But beaware Sept is still hurrican season. :eek:

Thank you all for the insightful responses. I figured on this board everyone would say "Take the cruise!!!" ;)

Why are you not considering a land/sea combo.

Most of our recent vacations have been the 3 and 4 day variety. It seems by the time we start to feel relaxed, it's time to pack up and move on. We'd rather stay put for a longer period of time - either on a ship or in a resort - and take our time to see all the sights.

If anyone else has more suggestions or insight, I'd love to hear it! I must say, after all of your feedback I'm definitely leaning toward a land-based trip. Now I need to start researching all the resorts! :eek:

Stay at a resort on the mono rail. (contemp, Poly) the convenience is awesome. my kids like to just hang out on the floor of Chef Mickeys and watch the monorail. :)

AK is the furthest resort from MK, it is closest to Animal Kingdom. The bus rides seemed to take forever for us.

We have done a land/sea package and it was awesome. We did the park part first and then we were able to relax on the cruise.

be sure to book a few character meals too.

there are other dis boards that can help you with the best meals/ resorts too.

With the ages of your children, definitely choose a land vacation for all the reasons above and one not mentioned--I simply can't imagine having to lug all of the baby gear needed to keep a couple of kids entertained for a week onlo a cruise ship--and unless you are getting a suite I can't imagine how crowded it would be with toys and cribs and strollers and diapers and everything else.

Please don’t flame me for this, but I wouldn’t choose either option. The one year old really is too young to have a chance of anything but the vaguest memories of this trip. Wait until the youngest is three and then you will really have an opportunity to shower the kids with Disney magic. (If you still want to go now, I would take the land package.)

I'll also vote for land, but instead of staying at a Disney hotel I would consider renting a unit at a place like Sheraton Vistana. For WAY less than 7 nights in a regular Disney hotel room you could get a 1200+ square foot 2 bedroom unit with 2 baths, living room, full kitchen, washer and dryer and balcony. Vistana Resort has tons of pretty swimming pools. general store, and plenty of kid stuff and it's only about a 8 minute drive from Magic Kingdom. Several restaurants are on site and will even deliver to your unit. Dozens of other restaurants are within minutes.

Please don’t flame me for this, but I wouldn’t choose either option. The one year old really is too young to have a chance of anything but the vaguest memories of this trip. Wait until the youngest is three and then you will really have an opportunity to shower the kids with Disney magic. (If you still want to go now, I would take the land package.)

When my kids were toddlers I never really worried much about what they would remember. I considered instead what my wife and I would remember and that is my sons having a great time in Disneyland, at the beach, in the snow and other vacation places.

As for the original question, I'm split evenly between the two. There's a lot of advantages to both. On the ship, everything is much closer including the stateroom for naps and the pools. There's also babysitting on the ship.

WDW ofers a much larger variety of activities including the water parks which were a particular hit with my kids but its spread out.

Either way, you can't lose so don't fret the decision too much.

Traveling out of peak, 3 days should be more then enough time to hit all the age appropriate attractions at the parks. But beaware Sept is still hurrican season. :eek:

So you think 3 days is enough time to do all that is disney in orlando including all 4 parks? Have you been here? lol. ;)

I'm another fan of staying offsite with a rental car. No waiting around for shuttles and you can stretch out in bigger, cheaper digs with non-Dis restaurants & shopping all around you.

My favorite vacation for kids that age and adults both is renting a place on a beach.

I wouldn't assume that once your oldest is in kindergarten, all school-year vacations are automatically off-limits, unless it's a personal thing of yours. I think it's easy and common (here anyway) to take kids out of school for many years past K.

I'm another fan of staying offsite with a rental car. No waiting around for shuttles and you can stretch out in bigger, cheaper digs with non-Dis restaurants & shopping all around you.

My favorite vacation for kids that age and adults both is renting a place on a beach.

I wouldn't assume that once your oldest is in kindergarten, all school-year vacations are automatically off-limits, unless it's a personal thing of yours. I think it's easy and common (here anyway) to take kids out of school for many years past K.

Yes, vacation over school seems to be the prevailing majority thinking/priority of most on this board ( but not me :rolleyes: )

Now putting on my flame jacket :D :D

When my kids were younger we loved the endless hours we spent on the beach, at the pool on vacations, those were truely sweet, simple, and relaxing times!

I would go with the land. I would wait until the 1 yr old is 3, that makes it so much easier with kids clubs etc etc. Also it might be easier to keep nap schedules. maybe hang out at the pool while the little one sleeps.

why cant you take your son out of school in Sept? We take our kids out every year, and our cruise ship had over 1000 kids on it last year, so apparently we are not the only ones.

I agree I would wait till both kids are able to enjoy the camp onboard before doing the cruise.

We also have pulled our kids out for week long cruises in September over LD weekend so they normally only miss 4 days but this gets harder as they get older:D

Well, I will be the lone dissenter. I would go with the cruise. I did WDW with my kids when they were 2 and 5 and it is exhausting. All the walking and many of the rides the kids that age can't or won't do. If this vacation is for you to relax and enjoy your family time, the cruise is the least stressful option, imho. Not too much walking, room close for naps and a pool both your kids can enjoy. Plus with the babysitting option, which you really can't get at the parks, you can have some couple time.

So, I think you need to talk to your spouse and decide what is more important to you. I also, would recommend May over September. The cruise prices are similar to Sept. but the weather and crowds at the parks are much more comfortable. We just got back from a May trip and it was fabulous. We would go at that time every year if we could, but we just can't pull the kids from school anymore. Happy travels no matter what you choose.:)

I would truly say you could go either way ... but I will say that if you're thinking you can't take your kids out of school ... well I have. Maybe I'll get in deep trouble, but I've never had a teacher that had a problem with it. Our friend who's a principle didn't even have a problem with it. As long as they keep up! AND, I believe that travel is a great education in it self for children!

I would truly say you could go either way ... but I will say that if you're thinking you can't take your kids out of school ... well I have. Maybe I'll get in deep trouble, but I've never had a teacher that had a problem with it. Our friend who's a principle didn't even have a problem with it. As long as they keep up! AND, I believe that travel is a great education in it self for children!

It varies by school and school district. Some have policies that they enforce very strictly becuase they lose state aid for every day a kid misses or they have massive truancy issues.

It varies by school and school district. Some have policies that they enforce very strictly becuase they lose state aid for every day a kid misses or they have massive truancy issues.

A friend of mine went to take his kids out of a government-run school to go to South America. They told him that he can't because they will lose funding during the missed days. He took out his checkbook and asked "how much?" They then told him "It's not about the money, it's about the children's education" (His kids are all straight-A students.)

They eventially worked out their differences and guess what? It WAS about the money. :eek:

Again, thank you all for the great feedback.

Didn't mean to start a debate about the school thing. We don't have kids in school yet, so I don't know how all of that works. I just figured it wasn't appropriate to pull them so soon after school starts up.

Late summer/fall travel times are our only option, as my husband works crazy hours in the spring/early summer.

I think we've decided to rent a nice condo in Orlando for 5 or 6 days and take my 4.5 year old to two of the parks for two of the days while the grandparents watch the 1 year old. The rest of the time spent relaxing at the pools and visiting with family.

Can't wait for a Disney cruise in the future, though!

Archived