Medical Insurance

ccos

I just stopped into the health plan office of our HMO this morning and was assured that if something happens to either one of us on our trips, we are covered, and that includes medical evacuation from cruise ships. "Just last week we paid for a medical evacuation from a cruise ship in Alaska."

It depends on your insurance.

Ask them where they will evacuate you to??? We bought evacuation insurance that will cover the trip home or to a hospital of our choice within 150 miles of our home. I wouldn't want to end up in a hospital in China, Poland or a third World country.

Sheila

Although I've only had to use it once, I always insure with TravelGuard and have found it to be well worth the cost. I'm primarily interested in MediVac, but medical care as well.

In 2007, we had to cancel an $18,000 trip/land/cruise to Tahiti when I was hospitalized the day before departure. My husband had absolutely no problem obtaining reimbursement for the entire trip and was not made to "jump through hoops". The amount recovered more than paid for premiums paid over the years.

I don't mind paying a bit more for the security of knowing the trip is covered.

murphysmum;)

Since my experience 3 years ago with my husband Stu having a heart attack in Florida on our stopover on our way home from South America and the 3 million dollars it didnt cost me and the Lear hospital jet we were flown back to California in a month after the attack with 2 pilots 2 doctors and a nurse..I thank God for the insurance I took out..I use Access America.

Jancruz1

3 days before my O Cruise last year my elderly mother had a heart attack and we had to cancel.

A long story short.....most Insurances cover the passengers and possibly if something hapens to children while you are away..but mine did not. It looked like I had blown $22,000.

Fortunately my Home Insurance had a clause to cover such an eventuality and I was paid out within 7 days.

Just check to make sure what you have bought covers every eventuality.

Oh yes.....my Ma is still with us although not enjoying the best of health....but we are booked on Quest mid August.

Brian

My DD (20) and I (48) went on an 18 Day adventure to Europe...14 of those days were on the Azamara Quest. I did not hesitate to spend the additional $180 for the peace of mind in the event something would have happened. Nothing did and I did not need the insurance, but I never was under stress wondering "what if!" Travel Guard was my insurance and the premium was based on the total cost of the trip components

My HMo pays 50% of evacuation so I'm okay with that without adding extra insurance.

They won't pay for a person that you travel with. Still will cost you lots and lots of money.

I always take travel insurance.

My DD (20) and I (48) went on an 18 Day adventure to Europe...14 of those days were on the Azamara Quest. I did not hesitate to spend the additional $180 for the peace of mind in the event something would have happened. Nothing did and I did not need the insurance, but I never was under stress wondering "what if!" Travel Guard was my insurance and the premium was based on the total cost of the trip components

:eek: Wow is that a low price for a 14 day cruise fare....mine was never that cheap. Ours to NZ /Aust. will come to over 500$...also based on fare. Was Including air ??? And that was one of the cheapest on offer from comparison websites...including Travel Guard. No we're NOT in the suites either...air really makes a difference to our cost for this cruise!

My insurance only covers me if it is in the United States, so yes we always purchase travel insurance if we are going outside the USA, which is usually the case.

Check with your insurance provider to see if it will cover you were ever you are traveling, and get a copy of it if, they say they will cover you anywhere.

A medic vac in another county with hospitalization can really hurt you financially if your insurance doesn't cover it. I have used travelux in the past and it is great insurance.

Also if a family emergency happens were you can't go on your vacation it helps a lot too, but it will generally cover a incident involving you, your spouse or direct family member. Your great great Aunt May two times removed will not be covered. ;)

50% of 10 or 20 thousand isn't every much.

I believe there is room to negotiate on the out of pocket portion. The amount of insurance I've saved cruising 2-3 times per year is substantial and will allow for a reasonable amount of medical cost should it be needed. I'm okay with the risk at this point in time.

I believe there is room to negotiate on the out of pocket portion. The amount of insurance I've saved cruising 2-3 times per year is substantial and will allow for a reasonable amount of medical cost should it be needed. I'm okay with the risk at this point in time.

Should you or your companion have a medical emergency on board ship, you won't have time to "negotiate the out of pocket portion" The ship's doctor and staff will charge you a very hefty price for the service they perform until you can be transferred to a shore facility. Their charges will appear on your room account - which must be paid in full before you leave.

If you are moved to a hospital in a foreign country (which is at the discretion of the ship's doctor) you will be expected to pay whatever their customary charges are. I doubt if you will be able to "negotiate the out of pocket portion".

You might want to reconsider being "okay with the risk".

A friend recently broke her hip on a cruise and wound up in a hospital in Brussels. After 1 days she was flown home first class with an attendant from the hospital. The total bill was over $120,000. That's a lot of out of pocket! It was completely covered by the insurance she had bought pre-cruise.

Should you or your companion have a medical emergency on board ship, you won't have time to "negotiate the out of pocket portion" The ship's doctor and staff will charge you a very hefty price for the service they perform until you can be transferred to a shore facility. Their charges will appear on your room account - which must be paid in full before you leave.

If you are moved to a hospital in a foreign country (which is at the discretion of the ship's doctor) you will be expected to pay whatever their customary charges are. I doubt if you will be able to "negotiate the out of pocket portion".

You might want to reconsider being "okay with the risk".

Let me clarify, I wouldn't negotiate the ships medical, I meant the medi vac which is where the real money is. My HMO will pay 50% of the medical and medi vac but the high bucks are the helicopter. That medi Vac insurance which is much cheaper then trip insurance might be a good idea for me since that's the unaffordable expense.

Since my experience 3 years ago with my husband Stu having a heart attack in Florida on our stopover on our way home from South America and the 3 million dollars it didnt cost me and the Lear hospital jet we were flown back to California in a month after the attack with 2 pilots 2 doctors and a nurse..I thank God for the insurance I took out..I use Access America.

Jancruz1

Hi Jancruz1,

Which Access America plan did you have that paid out such a large claim (though probably not $3 million)? And did Access America continue to pay all your expenses for the entire month before you were flown back to California?

I think that US travellers must have a different options when it comes to insurance but here in Australia we have a saying"

"If you can't afford the travel insurance, you can't offord to travel". I would never take the risk of not insuring when travelling overseas.

JJ

I think that US travellers must have a different options when it comes to insurance but here in Australia we have a saying"

"If you can't afford the travel insurance, you can't offord to travel". I would never take the risk of not insuring when travelling overseas.

JJ

On Oceania last year it was compulsory. no medical insurance, no ticket and just as well, had an hour in the ships hospital for rehydration from a gastro infection (not from the ships food) and the bill was over $1000USD.Personally I would not travel without insurance.

Most policies contain the following about payment in foreign countries. Note that it contains nothing about paying for any ship care.

EMERGENCY CARE IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES

FOR MEDICALLY NECESSARY EMERGENCY CARE THAT IS SUDDEN AND UNEXPECTED, 80 % OF ACTUAL CHARGES AFTER YOU SATISFY THE $250 EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE DEDUCTIBLE EACH CALENDAR YEAR WITH A MAXIMUM OF $50,000 PER LIFETIME. CARE MUST BEGIN DURING DAYS 1 - 60 OF A TRIP PERIOD

They pay nothing to get you back to the USA. Medical evacuation from Mexico to USA is about 20 thousand. So from Europe at least 50 thousand that you’re your insurance will not pay.

Lets say you fall and just fall and break your arm. You go to hospital in an ambulance that chances are is not covered. $1000.00 Hospital sets arm $10,000, and of course you miss the ship. Hotel, food airline fares, etc. you will not recover. Another $2000.00 for you and wife to get back to ship. You credit card now has about $15,000 that you pay. You submit $10,000 non itemized bill to insurance. They say must have itemized bill. You finally get one after paying $200 phone bill and interpreter fees. Will guess what, the insurance determines that only $5,000 of the $10,000 is “NECESSARY” . They pay 80% of 5,000 - $250. You pay $7,000 plus. Covers a lot of travel insurance.

Archived