lap tops

DND Fun Team

Does anyone know if the ships have a wireless connection to the internet that you could hook up to if you have a wireless laptop or does it cost. I know it cost to use theirs but thought about bringing mine.

I think there are four ships so far that do have the wireless all over the ship and in the Staterooms. Liberty/Freedom/Splendor/Valor. The rest of the ships you can bring your lap top and they have hot spots on the ship or you can go into the computer room.

Does anyone know if the ships have a wireless connection to the internet that you could hook up to if you have a wireless laptop or does it cost. I know it cost to use theirs but thought about bringing mine.

Yes and the price is the same, but you can save some time by using your laptop to compose and respond to email offline.

For those guests who want the option of staying connected to the rest of the world, we proudly offer access to the internet in our onboard Internet Cafés and wireless networks using the ships own satellite connection. The Internet Café is open 24-hours a day and features private terminals with the latest flat panel computer monitors. Guests will have the ability to send and receive e-mail, chat online and access the full internet. Guests can also access their own e-mail account through AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Guests will have the option to create their very own temporary e-mail account with our "CruiseE-mail"™.

Wireless internet access is available across our entire fleet. Depending on the vessel, we have either limited wireless access in and around the shipboard internet café and select public areas or a complete "Bow2stern" wireless network. The complete "Bow2stern" wireless network is currently available on Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend, Carnival Victory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Splendor.

The "Bow2Stern" network allows our guests to enjoy Internet access from literally anywhere on board, including all public areas, lounges, bars and pool decks, guest suites and cabins. To take full advantage of this feature, guests should bring their personal laptops along with them, as the number of laptops available for rent onboard is limited. In addition, this network provides supports the latest Wi-Fi enabled iPhones, PalmPilots and Blackberrys.

Internet Café Price List

We have several options available to guests wishing to use the internet service. the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options* are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop.

• An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

• A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute ("Pay-As-You-Go") is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted Time Plans

Discounted Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation. Please note that there is no refund for unused minutes on these Time Plans and upgrading selected pricing options is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Wireless Network Cards and Laptop Rental

Guests can rent a Wireless Network Card -- to connect their laptops to the ship's wireless signal -- at the rate or $10.00 per day. Optional insurance can also be purchased for $3.00 per day. These fees are in addition to the Internet price plans. A limited number of laptops are available for guests to rent with a Time Plan purchase for an additional $10.00 per day, with optional insurance is also available for $3.00 per day.

*All internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard "Sail & Sign" Account. In addition, when using a Café terminal, files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's. Users who bring their own laptop can read and save files without restriction.

If I have my own wireless card from Sprint will it work aboard the ship?

Way too expensive at 2.49 a minutes, you are better off going with their 75 cent per minute pay as you go plan.

The other plan is 55.00 for 100 minutes or 100.00 for 250 minutes.

Fred

Wireless as others mentioned is there for but a small fee. Unless work is going to reimburse you expect it to be a avery expensive habit as by the minute they are looking to make some bucks on you.

Also be warned that while out of port the connection bandwidth and continuity is not the best. So what takes you minutes or seconds on a good DSL/Cable/FIOS line could take 2-10x longer on board out of port. :mad:

In a major domestic port if you have one of the wireless packages ( sprint, etc. ) I'd expect you'd have the same service provided you aren't out of area.

Okay, I'm new to this Wi-Fi stuff. Not that I wouldn't pay for it but how does anyone know you are using it if it is Bow-2-stern? Isn't it in the air? Again, not computer literate AT ALL!!!!!! Could be why I don't have a laptop or a fancy cell phone. Too much to learn.:( I prefer the old phones with circular dial the number one at a time and watch it go around and around and around and around.... Sorry, caught myself in a day dream wishing for the good old days when everything was simple and faster.

You still have to connect to through it and it knows, like hotels know you are accessing theirs (most larger hotels let you connect for a fee, while the smaller ones are starting to offer it for free to attract more people). I plan on bringing my laptop so I can compose mail prior to signing on and sending it when online to save minutes.

Cost is the same whether you use your laptop or their machines.

Unless you need it for urgent business I would suggest leaving it at home. We made the mistake of taking ours on a Alaskan cruise tour and it became a real burden. The cost is prohibitive, it takes time away from your reason on going on the cruise in the first place.

Archived