Wow.. Oasis of the Seas

It wouldn't make any difference to me if it was Carnival....I'm not even very thrilled about the size of the Dream, but at least it is still keeping it's focus on external ocean views.

I don't think bigger is better. They may be getting taller, but they're not getting much longer so that just means more congestion in the public areas.

If Carnival never built anything but more Conquest class ships I'd be perfectly happy

Thats why there are different cruielines and ships to please everyone;)

But I am like Halos and will not make negative comments about something I have never sailed.......

as already stated, its lay out will be nice to see once it gets off paper but for me this ship is way to big no matter what they thought of.

D

Ok, for you and everyone else who does not get it. This ship is no longer a dream, no longer a sketch, it is reality. It is being assembled as we speak.

No one is thinking about where to put what, or how to make it fit. No smoke and mirrors, no trick photography. It is reality.

The ship will sail, it will be successful and you and other nay sayers won't be on it. Which to tell you the truth, makes me feel pretty good.

Ok, for you and everyone else who does not get it. This ship is no longer a dream, no longer a sketch, it is reality. It is being assembled as we speak.

No one is thinking about where to put what, or how to make it fit. No smoke and mirrors, no trick photography. It is reality.

The ship will sail, it will be successful and you and other nay sayers won't be on it. Which to tell you the truth, makes me feel pretty good.

No, it's not reality, because half the damn ship is still missing. Once all of those pieces are put together we can get the whole picture. What was released today was some of the wow factor. I'm glad you're happy with what you've seen so far, but it's not done - hence no whole picture.

Seriously' date=' there is obviously a market for this kind of thing or else RCI wouldn't have built it. It really doesn't affect me one way or another....unless laws are passed that require me to sail on it. That's the only way I'd even come close to it, fer sure. And, it's really easy to avoid the ports where this thing will be...so, it's OK in my book for those who think it's really cruising.[/quote']

Here's what I don't understand. You have made it perfectly clear that you don't want to cruise on this ship BUT you continue to post on every Oasis thread. Why?? :rolleyes: Talk about beating a dead horse.

Looks pretty good to me. RCCL hasn't made a mistake yet in its ships, has it?

Will be interesting to watch public television tonight at 7 p.m. (Nightly Business Report), when Richard Fain will be interviewed. It's about other matters, but I'll bet this topic comes up as well.

I find it funny that so many are saying it looks good on paper but not sure if it can be done. It is being done. The ship is far along in the construction process and you can already see the open air central park and cabins overlooking it. So it is not just an artists idea. It is reality. I am sure they will need to tweak a few things but they would not have such a media splash if it was "pie in the sky".

I find it funny that so many are saying it looks good on paper but not sure if it can be done. It is being done. The ship is far along in the construction process and you can already see the open air central park and cabins overlooking it. So it is not just an artists idea. It is reality. I am sure they will need to tweak a few things but they would not have such a media splash if it was "pie in the sky".

I didn't read it that way. I think what people are saying is it's one thing to see pictures on a computer screen, it's quite different to actually be on the ship and experience it. I certainly didn't take it to mean it wasn't reality and wasn't going to happen.

I didn't read it that way. I think what people are saying is it's one thing to see pictures on a computer screen, it's quite different to actually be on the ship and experience it. I certainly didn't take it to mean it wasn't reality and wasn't going to happen.

I was referring to comments such as these:

"Well would you like to put a small wager on that the those pics won't add up to the same thing when its launched ?"

I was on Voyager and always received my food luke warm because our table was all the back from the kitchen. Food quality was lacking and made me think twice about sailing RCI again. I thought the Freedom class was too big, there's no way I'm cruising with 6000 people and at the prices they are charging.

I'm actually a platinum member with RCI and going on the Miracle in September as a first time Carnival cruiser. My favorite cruise was on the Celebrity Galaxy which is about the same size as the Miracle, so I'm really looking forward to our cruise. 70-90,000 tons is a perfect size to me.

The Oasis of the Seas was a response from the rumored Pinnacle Project Carnival had hopes of designing for a mega ship (200,000 gross tons)... . Since Carnival and other cruise lines use this website to see what cruisers want and don't want...maybe Carnival won't go through the fuss of building the Pinnacle Project since it seems most members in this forum are against bigger ships like Oasis. Just wondering how many people would think differently if Oasis was a Carnival design?

Its certainly a revolutionary design in terms of the ships that are currently sailing, and I'm sure they wouldn't have invested the time and money if they didn't believe there was a market for it.

Despite having just a few cruises under my belt, this particular ship holds no appeal for me. Not because of the size (I am, after all, booked on Freedom!) but because of the overall design.

It's gone too far to the 'resort' look and away from a 'ship' look.

I don't ever expect or want to see grass and trees on a ship. I don't want to have to choose from among a myriad of restaurants to get a meal. I just want a nice place to have a drink without 'rising' in the air.

Maybe I'll change my mind someday. But for now, I'll stick with the more traditionally-designed ships.

Thats why there are different cruielines and ships to please everyone;)

But I am like Halos and will not make negative comments about something I have never sailed.......

I think most people are actually stating their preferences... their likes and dislikes.

I don't know how many times I've looked at a car and said I don't like it... wrong color... wrong number of seats... the engine is too big... the engine is too small or what ever... Same thing here but in this case it's a ship.

I'd be interested in cruising on this ship.

But, I've simply never taken a cruise I didn't like, even if I've preferred some to others.

I am not at all interested in there being more shops -- shopping is not a fun activity to me. But I'd be interested in what sort of other activities there might be. I thought that perhaps with the "Central Park" theme, that "inside cabins" would actually have a view (to the indoor park/shopping area), but glancing at all the room categories, it looks as though they still have inside cabins. Too bad. My concern would be whether all the additional activities would require an extra charge. One of the things I love about cruises, now, is that I can find plenty to enjoy without HAVING to shell out anything extra. (Yeah, yeah, you can call me cheap, but I say I'm just practical!)

I wouldn't automatically worry about crowds, just because the bigger ship holds more people. As Carnival has built bigger and bigger ships that hold more and more people, we've thought, "Oh, that's going to feel crowded" and it never has. With the larger ships, the larger passenger population is spread out over a larger area, so nothing has ever seemed any more crowded on the larger ships than on the smaller ones.

I think most people are actually stating their preferences... their likes and dislikes.

I don't know how many times I've looked at a car and said I don't like it... wrong color... wrong number of seats... the engine is too big... the engine is too small or what ever... Same thing here but in this case it's a ship.

You are right. But I think it is more about the brand then the ship;) Just like a car. Some will only drive a chevy:D

It shows when you see the negatives coming from cruisers with a history of just one particular cruiseline;)

No, it's not reality, because half the damn ship is still missing. Once all of those pieces are put together we can get the whole picture. What was released today was some of the wow factor. I'm glad you're happy with what you've seen so far, but it's not done - hence no whole picture.

Congratulations...you fall into the "I dont get it Category". Thanks for letting us all know now that you will not "get it" until you are actually on board. Since you won't be going on board this leaves us with you will never get it.

Have a good time the next few months scanning the news for an article which tells you the project was a failure, or they just couldnt make the pieces fit.

Anyone else who thinks they are going to design this on the fly and release information after each design, probably should book a theme cruise with Cruise Junky. I am sure you all would have a wonderful time. I will wave to you from my two level suite as you toss about in the Oasis wake.

I just noticed something interesting. It looks like the ship will have no promenade. The lifeboats just hang there. i wonder if the mezzanine area

in the royal promenade will be the area that you have to enter the lifeboats in?

You are right. But I think it is more about the brand then the ship;) Just like a car. Some will only drive a chevy:D

It shows when you see the negatives coming from cruisers with a history of just one particular cruiseline;)

Perhaps... but did you see the consternation that occurred among the Cunard faithful when the Queen Victoria came along? Many people were terribly unhappy with her as she's not a liner but a cruise ship. I don't know how many folks have refused to sail on her...

I can see it being exactly the same case here. If it was a Carnival ship I'm sure that many Carnival faithful would not sail on her. The difference being that if it WERE a Carnival ship it wouldn't have the hallmarks that make it distinctively RCL...

I just noticed something interesting. It looks like the ship will have no promenade. The lifeboats just hang there. i wonder if the mezzanine area

in the royal promenade will be the area that you have to enter the lifeboats in?

There's probably a boat deck there. If you have been on a ship like the Carnival Freedom, same idea - the boats do hang above the promenade on Freedom, but there is a separate deck above to embark the lifeboats.

I think that Oasis is targeted towards a certain demographic....families. I think that for veteran cruisers...this goes beyond traditional....and is why some dislike the concept of a mall like atmosphere. But from my point of view-- smaller the ships, the less there is to do for kids. I found a lot of kids complaining of boredom on small to medium size vessels.....sure they have the kids club, but when the facilities are closed-- you find these kids all over the staircases and pressing all the buttons on the elevators--argh! I think Princess has the right idea of limiting the amount of kids on some sailings. =)

Overall I think RCL has the right state of mind by inventing these new ship designs because they aren't targeting the traditional cruisers, they're targeting families....as a parent..what's good for my kids, is what's good for me...Oasis seems like a perfect fit. If I didn't have kids, then a medium sized ship is just fine.

I guess I am just unclear about why anyone (with kids or without) would choose to sail like this...It really takes the ship out of cruising and I really don't see the point...a novelty I suppose, but I am into cruising...not rock climbing, not malls, not Central Park (I will be going to NY to see the real thing on land)...I don't know..to each his own I guess...but give me a lounge chair on the upper deck, the salt air, a sea breeze and the ocean and I am one happy cruiser:)

Archived