Passport copies?

I have read that it is a good idea to make copies of your passport to keep with you when traveling. I agree but my question is what do you make copies of? Is it only the pages with signature and picture/info. We don't have any stamps as these are brand new. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Remember than sending something via email is like mailing a post card, those in the know can read your email and get your information. Hence, ID theft.
Excellent point. Rather than e-mailing as many on the CC have suggested, people might want to consider leaving the copy in their 'drafts' box. It hasn't been sent and since many e-mail accounts are accessible on-line, you can retrieve it if necessary. My rule of thumb - Don't e-mail anything that you wouldn't post on the bulletin board at the grocery store. ;)

While we haven't used it, I understand Lonely Planet has some sort of secure on-line storage for documents one might need to access while traveling.

Remember than sending something via email is like mailing a post card, those in the know can read your email and get your information. Hence, ID theft.

Excellent point but I still think it's safer than taking copies. The chances of me losing the copy is greater than someone hacking into my email.

I carry enough crap so I don't need to be overly sensitive to things that has a minimal chance it may happen. I may be old school but carrying a thumbdrive with info on it is a a bit over the top to me but to each their own.

Let's face it, there is no fool proof way.

While I make small B & W copies of the passports to take onshore with us, my husband puts all of our information (including everything in the wallet) onto an encrypted thumbdrive that he wears around his neck.

So I guess this means that you do not go to a beach. Good idea about the thumbdrive since we are not really beach people.

Actually we SCUBA dive & snorkel, so we go to lots of water. Where would you put anything else? It goes with the rest of our stuff, we hope that we're with honest people and we enjoy our dive. Water wallets work well (so do ziplock baggies).

Archived