Carry-on Crackdown?

Robin7

NBC reported today that airlines are going to begin enforcing the size-limits on carry-on bags. I figured that was coming to keep people from taking oversize carry-ons to avoid the new bag charges.

So check your airline's Web site for specifics before your cruise!

(For instance, I can only carry on 25 pounds/45 inches on my Korean Air flights for our next cruise. Family members are flying on Air Pacific and can only take one bag, ELEVEN POUNDS/39 inches, into the cabin. I have NOT told my mother-in-law that yet. I think just her purse alone weighs over eleven pounds. :eek: )

Robin

The story I saw on local news came from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25190929/

As far as a cruise vacation, I'm resolved to pay extra if necessary. Too much invested to be concerned with this fee. Other travel will be "case by case". It is what it is! Actually, I won't be heartbroken to see the airlines restrict (to the rules) some of the carry-ons because in some cases by the time you get to your seat, there isn't room for a Q-tip in your overhead. Some travelers carry on enough to go on safari.

On a recent Airtran flight, the check-in agent actually measured my checked luggage also! We have Delsey hard cases that have been on many many many flights. That was the first time my checked baggage was ever measured - apparently I would have had to pay an additional fee for "oversized" baggage.

I agree. Enforce the regs and everyone gets a fair shot at getting their carry-on placed in the overhead ... near them.
What galls me is the people with seats in the back of the plane who get on first and stow their stuff at the front of the coach section, so that the time I'm allowed on I have to go back from my seat looking for room for my stuff. Then after landing I have to wait for the plane to empty before I can go back to get it. So much for picking seats up front! :mad: :mad:

It is about time they are inforcing the rules.

Last flight lady across isle from us carried on 3 carry on type bags and put two of them in the overhead above our seats. I realize these are not reserved. I politely took hers out and placed Ruth and mine bags in the overhead and nicely set hers in her lap. She looked at me with contempt and asked what she was supposed to do with them.

I was nice I did not tell her where to stick them. I said maybe the hole with all the other luggage.....

Ruth & Jim

Amen ... enforce this rule !!!!

I did see SWA enforce it once .. when they told the guy he couldn't carry on a live chicken in a cardboard box that he did put under the seat in front of him .. ROFL ..the woman in that seat felt movement and complained .. the whole plane was laughing :)

The worst part about people bringing oversized carry ons on the plane is that it takes forever to get off the plane while you wait for people to get their wedged in bags unwedged, because they never wait till the plane empties to do this, they block the aisle for minutes. And this happens over and over.

I was on one flight once where the flight attendant made folks who had put their bags up front when they had seats in the back, take their bags back to their own areas. Flight attendants are aware that bags don't belong there when all the overheads are full and none of the people sitting near them have put anything away.

Good for the airlines if they really crack down on this.

I did see SWA enforce it once .. when they told the guy he couldn't carry on a live chicken in a cardboard box that he did put under the seat in front of him .. ROFL ..the woman in that seat felt movement and complained .. the whole plane was laughing :)

That is unreal!

Fly Jamaica Airlines on a return flight from Miami to Jamaica and you will wonder if the stewarts even know what the carry on regulations are. The flight I was on the average Jamaican had at least 5 shopping bags plus suitcase and carry on.

Ruth & Jim

I do not know about US/International Carriers, but here in Canada, one of our airlines, Air Canada, has changed their checked bag policy. Now you can only check one bag and pay for additional checked bags($25.00) on domestic and Canada/US flights. Blaming it on fuel costs. Ya right, greedy buggers!:mad: :mad: :mad: So be aware of this if you are having to use Air Canada in the future.

I usually use a 22-inch carry on. I re-measured it the other day, and it does not meet the KAL 39-inch rule. So I'm in the market for a new case. I'm going to make certain it's well under the 39-inch limit. So I would caution all of you cruise fliers to maker certain your suitcases/carry ons meet the restrictions for ALL airlines you'll be flying, especially if you're flying internationally.

One really nice thing about my husband's Medallion status with Delta is it has been years since we have had to worry about not finding space for our carry ons as we've been able to board first. He changed jobs and will lose his status next year. We'll really miss that. Of course, at the rate fares are going up, we may not be flying much after this trip. :( It will be cheaper (or maybe NOT) to drive the 600 miles to the nearest port.

But I am glad the airlines will be enforcing the limits. And I have never understood the people who stick their stuff in the front when sitting in the back. My husband, however, said he saw that all the time during his years of intense business travels. It's very rude, IMO.

Robin

It's about time they enforced this. I'm so tired of folks bringing on suitcases and having no room for my carry on:mad: . Good on the airlines.
I agree completely.

But I am glad the airlines will be enforcing the limits. And I have never understood the people who stick their stuff in the front when sitting in the back. My husband, however, said he saw that all the time during his years of intense business travels. It's very rude, IMO.
Yes, I see this all the time. On very long flights, I often fly Biz Class and often see people from coach come into the Biz Class area, put their stuff in the overhead bins, then head on back.

Once during this past year, I was on a flight from BOS to LAX and was flying coach. Everyone was seated but then a "gentleman" boarded late with suitcase, briefcase and another bag. He couldn't find any room in the overhead bin for his suitcase and other bag so he reached up and took one out, putting his in it's place and leaving the suitcase in the aisle. A woman nearby meekly claimed it as hers and the stewardess checked it in. As we were de-planing, the woman only had her purse so it wasn't an extra bag.

I'm all for enforcing the carry-on rules. No matter how long my cruise or where I'm flying to/from, I bring just one rolling backpack as my carry-on. My purse is inside.

I agree. Enforce the regs and everyone gets a fair shot at getting their carry-on placed in the overhead ... near them.

But I paid for the flight with my money, I should be able to bring whatever I like as carry-on! :D

But I paid for the flight with my money, I should be able to bring whatever I like as carry-on! :D
Hey, bring the frig and don't panic as the plane constantly leans in one direction. ;)

It's kind of like being on an elevator and more and more people are getting on. Just as the last two stuff themselves through the door, the elevator starts beeping and won't move until people get off and it is within it's safety weight.

What galls me is the people with seats in the back of the plane who get on first and stow their stuff at the front of the coach section, so that the time I'm allowed on I have to go back from my seat looking for room for my stuff. Then after landing I have to wait for the plane to empty before I can go back to get it. So much for picking seats up front! :mad: :mad:

Oh I could not agree with you more- I booked our flights to Phoenix this November and actually moved our seats from the front of the plane were I like to sit to the rear so I actually can have storage when I get on the plane. I am SOOO happy the are enforcing this some business travelers I see have their laptop case, garmet bag, and a oversized carry on and take up a whole compartment and than I am stuck with my carry on under the front of my seat and my knees up to my chest with no leg room (not that they have mush legroom to begin with)

I'm all for enforcing the carry-on rules. No matter how long my cruise or where I'm flying to/from, I bring just one rolling backpack as my carry-on. My purse is inside.

My purse goes in my carry-on, as well. But I also bring a bag that goes under the seat in front of me with my water bottle (which we buy after security), book, magazines, iPod, etc. and, more recently, FOOD.

I have often just carried my pillow on in my arms and used it on the flight. (I put it in a HAL t-shirt I modified with a drawstring in the hem, sewing the neck and sleeves closed, to protect it from getting dirty.) I wonder if they will now consider that my 'personal item' and not let me have my under-the-seat bag? If so, then I better make sure my new carry-on bag is one that fits under the seat to stow all my in-flight necessities. Argh. So many things to consider! (We're going to be spending over 30 hours on planes for our next cruise. I've got to figure this out!)

Robin

I do not know about US/International Carriers, but here in Canada, one of our airlines, Air Canada, has changed their checked bag policy. Now you can only check one bag and pay for additional checked bags($25.00) on domestic and Canada/US flights. Blaming it on fuel costs. Ya right, greedy buggers!:mad: :mad: :mad: So be aware of this if you are having to use Air Canada in the future.

So how do you think the airlines will be able to pay for higher fuel prices? Do you also complain that your gas station owner is a 'greedy bugger'? As well as everyone else that has had to raise prices because of the cost of fuel?

Fly Jamaica Airlines on a return flight from Miami to Jamaica and you will wonder if the stewarts even know what the carry on regulations are. The flight I was on the average Jamaican had at least 5 shopping bags plus suitcase and carry on.

Ruth & Jim

A number of years ago, we flew to Peru on a Peruvian airline out of Mexico City. As we had 3 small kids to herd, I checked in toward the last of the passengers. The co=pilot was adding each passengers luggage weight in his calculator! When we boarded, I found out there were many Argentinians returning home after working 2 or 3 years in the States, and most of them had large TV's they didn't trust to the baggage compartment. The result was we had over 5 large TVs plus a few other things in the isle when we took off! Since Mexico City is higher than Denver, the air up there is not as dense as you would want on an overweight airplane,:eek: but we took off OK (about the end of the runway!):)

Archived