rome to civitavecchia port transportation?

does any cruise critic members have suggestions as to the best way, cab train, shuttle to get to cruise port from rome central? any names for transporters and cost? was planning on train which is cost effective but some of the members say you need to be ready and fast with luggage as train may have a stop of 2 minutes. thanks for the ideas.:rolleyes:

Here is the cost of what I saw when in Rome May of 2007. Taxi to the Port 190 Euros. Hired driver to the port 140 to 180 Euros. The IC train 16 Euros for a 1st class ticket. (45 minutes two stops two minutes to unload. The Local train 9 Euros. (An hour and fifteen minutes with nine to ten stops plenty of time to exit the train at Civitavecchia). I hope this helps. Tim

does any cruise critic members have suggestions as to the best way, cab train, shuttle to get to cruise port from rome central? any names for transporters and cost? was planning on train which is cost effective but some of the members say you need to be ready and fast with luggage as train may have a stop of 2 minutes. thanks for the ideas.:rolleyes:

I'm going there next month on the Carnival Freedom! While the train would save a lot of money, we are a family of 3 traveling with 4 bags so it might be a little difficult to maneuver everything on a train so the hotel we'll be staying at in Civitavecchia has a shuttle service (not free of course) - I think we'll be paying around 140 euros but if they pick up more people, then we can all divide the cost. We'll be staying at the Hotel Traiano which is great - they offer a free shuttle to the ship.

Laurie

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano last year. They picked us up at the airport in their van. It was very convenient. But a lady who arrived several hours later missed their van. And she had no cell phone to call Alessandro from the airport. We saw her at the hotel complaining at the front desk. I see how she could miss them. I had my phone and used it to find them.

Basically, they have to wait just outside of baggage claim and amongst a lineup of people. So after you arrive and collect your bags, as you go through some doors (and outside the baggage area) look for a crowd. They will be waiting with a small sign with your name. If you have a cell phone, get his cell number and the hotel number in case you cannot find him.

If you want a free ride to the ship the next day, be sure to sign up for a shuttle time as you check in at the hotel. If you arrive at the hotel early enough in the morning, they will let you eat at the continental breakfast.

The hotel is small, with good A/C and nice rooms and located on a quiet side street. Very hard beds. Ask them for directions to the main area of the City. It's about 8 blocks away down a narrow side street. About 3 blocks away is a small grocery where you can buy snacks and water very cheaply. Most restaurants do not open until 7:30PM, so ask where you can eat earlier.

The train is certainly your cheapest option and really not that difficult. The only minor hassle is that once you get off the train in "Civ" its about a 4 block walk to the port entrance. If you can roll your luggage that far, you will be able to get a free shuttle bus at the port entrance that takes you directly to the pier. Its sometimes possible to get a taxi from that "Civ" train station, but the taxis do not generally want to do that short haul. You probably could convince a taxi to do the drive, but count on paying at least 20 Euros for the privledge.

Hank

If you have luggage to handle, a transfer would be the easiest solution. Prices quoted above are pretty standard, and Rome Cabs gets excellent reviews.:) Most transfers are willing to make more than one stop, so you could consider ride sharing with another couple who will be taking your ship. Helps them too!

www.trenitalia.com

The cheap solution from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia.

Hubby & I did this 8 years ago with more luggage than we will bring the next time we go (August). But we managed ok.

Second class tickets are cheaper of course, and the ride was comfortable.

When you check the official train site, use your actual date to check for schedule only. It isn't very good about giving the price at that time.

But to get a ballpark price, put in a date from next week using the day you will travel...like June 22 for a Sunday, etc.

We just returned and it is very easy (and cost effective!!) to do by train. We took a taxi from the hotel to the train station-(approximately 5 euros.) Our train tickets were 13 euros for 3 tickets on the local. It was air-conditioned, took about 1 hour and 10 minutes and was very comfortable. It originated in Rome so we had plenty of time to get on with our bags (we each had a rolling suitcase and one smaller bag) and had a first choice at seating. It ends in Civi, so you do not have to worry about 2 minutes to get off or missing your stop.

Once you are off the train it is approximately 4 blocks to the entrance of the port. Just follow all the people with the rolling bags and you are there! The ship shuttles are lined up-just be sure to get on the right one-and they take your luggage and deliver you to the entrance. You don't have to handle your bags again until they are outside your cabin.

When you purchase your tickets just be sure to clarify which train you want because not all of them terminate in Civi.

The hotel transportation wanted 140 euros to take us. This cost us 18 euros total!

Meet me over on our roll call. I have transportation arranged & am willing to share if we can work it out.

Flo

Hlitner,

You mentioned getting from the port entrance to the pier. In reverse, once the ship has docked, if you want to walk off the ship before the official process begins, how do you get from the pier to the port entrance? Does the cruise line run the free shuttle at that time of day?

Grits

I'll step in here.

Gritsgal said:

You mentioned getting from the port entrance to the pier. In reverse, once the ship has docked, if you want to walk off the ship before the official process begins, how do you get from the pier to the port entrance? Does the cruise line run the free shuttle at that time of day?

The free shuttle bus isn't provided by the cruise line, it's run by the port authority. The port of Civitavecchia is strictly controlled - no civilian pedestrians! - so the port authrity provides a free shuttle bus that just runs around the dock area, calling at the dock gates to pick up and drop off passengers. You'll need to locate the actual shuttle bus stop. In our case it was a little enamel plate fixed onto the dock wall. You may also have to deal with your luggage yourself, either by dragging it onto the bus or stowing in the luggage hold.

Here's a webpage that give some more details about getting to the station at Civitavecchia:

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

Thanks for the info. May I ask which train you took that originated in Rome and terminate at Civitavecchia? When I go on line to trenitalia there are symbols but there is no mention of the train origination or termination. Thanks.

Gritsgal:

The shuttle will stop right along side the pier where you get your bags. It says Shuttle on the front window. It will drop you off right in front of the old Fort. This stop is right at the foot of town, near the McDonalds. About 10 to 12 minutes to the train station. If you give me an e-mail I have two photos to help you..

Here are two photos of the shuttle stop and the bus. The bus stop is right in front of the old Fort in Civitavecchia and drops you off right at the terminal for each cruise ship. There is a sign on the front of the bus that says "shuttle". If more than one ship is in port, ask the driver if he goes to your ship. The photos are small due to the limits for posting photos here.

S1.jpg.5275bd8cf718e3238eb6bbb18f4397bd.jpg

s2.jpg.9223c1ce2f10ac1777df7e631703674b.jpg

Hlitner,

Grits

I see you already got some good answers (Tom is always accurate). Believe, me, the cruise lines no longer do anything for free! But the port authority provides the buses because they do not want people walking through the busy port (we used to walk from pier to the entrance). We have also found that the shuttle bus drivers are very friendly. In May, we disembarked in Civ (from the Grand Princess crossing) and needed to get to Europcar, which is quite a hike from the main port entrance. When I mentioned this to the driver (he spoke some English) he told us to stay on the bus when he got to the main entrance. After he dropped everyone off, he drove us over to another small gate (about 1/3 of a mile from the main gate) which was much closer to the rental car dealer. I must also mention that the taxis at the port have really become worse "vultures" than in years past. We originally were going to take a taxi to Europcar (about 1 mile) but the only driver willing to do this 5 min drive wanted 40 Euros. Or course we laughed at the guy and took the free shuttle! I used to try hard to find something nice to say about Italian taxi drivers that park at the ports, but its now getting very difficult.

Hank

Trains leave approximately every 20 minutes from Rome to Civitavecchia. We purchased our tickets at the station the morning of travel. It was a local not an express. Most of the tickets agents spoke English so we asked for the train that terminated in Civi because we were afraid that we would either miss the stop or not have enough time to get off with luggage. Also, remember to get your ticket stamped before boarding the train.

Hello,

We are travelling to Rome in late September 2008 on a cruise ship that will be docked for approx 12 hours. We are interested in a day trip to Rome, but have a few questions in terms of the trains that run to and from Rome.

1. We have read in other posts that there are two different trains. One that has two stops, and the other that has nine stops. Does anyone know the most recent prices (return ticket) for both of these trains?

2. Is the port easily navigated? We don't want to get lost, but from what we have read it seems as though it should be fairly easy, we are just looking for some reassurance.

Thank you in advance!

Enz and Marg

Hello' date='

I am really learning alot from these boards and appreciate everyone's input! I plan to take the train to Cit. port. Just one question that I have not seen answered, is the train station close to the airport (FCO)?

Thanks so much for your help,

Pam[/quote']

See my document at www.ftroute.com/italiantrains.htm and click on the Rome-Civitavecchia link and your questions will be answered.

From FCO you take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini. Then you take the train to Civitavecchia. You can buy your tickets for both trains at the airport station.

Hi tom_uk,

Hope it's ok that I am also steppig in on this conversation.

These boards and roll call are all new to me. My husband and I will be traveling on the Grand in Sept. We disembark at Cititavecchia and will be heading to Rome for 2 days. Would you suggest the train or Rome cabs?

If the train do I understand that once we disembark there will be a shuttle to take? Where will this shuttle take us and how do we get to the train station?

Would appreciate any help. If you can'y tell this is our 1st cruise to Europe.

Thanks so much.

Appie(Pat) and Len

Flo,

Where did you arrange your transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia? Our roll call is looking at putting together a group and we'd appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Pam

E-mail Stefano at romecabs@yahoo.com. Just tell him how many people you will have in your group & he will reply promptly with a quote. Also, feel free to ask him any questions you might have. Once you have confirmed a booking, he will provide you with his cell phone number so that after you're in Rome he'll only be a phone call away. Stefano has absolutely the best service available. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Archived