rome to civitavecchia port transportation?

"We have read in other posts that there are two different trains. One that has two stops, and the other that has nine stops. Does anyone know the most recent prices (return ticket) for both of these trains?"

I was there 2 weeks ago and can tell you about a couple options:

1) the 5-Zone BIRG for 9 EUR. This ticket includes RT train service (on a Regional train) from Civitavecchia - Rome & includes all the Metro & Bus services in Rome. (I should also add that it includes all transport for Zones A-D, for those who want to visit the outlying areas).

If you were to buy one-way tickets from Civ. - Rome, they'd be 4.5 Eur one way, so if you're okay w/ the regional train, the BIRG is your best bet because it includes your transport w/in Rome, too. The Regional trains are b/t 1:08-1:18 long; all seats are 2nd class and require no reservations.

2) The InterCity (IC) trains are 48 minutes and cost 11 EUR for 1st class/ 8.50 for 2nd. To my knowlege, Civitavecchia is not their stop of origin, nor final destination.

3) We stayed in Rome before & after our cruise, so I purchased the Roma&Piu Pass upon our arrival. I used the sites pass before the cruise, bought a one way ticket to Civitavecchia for 4.5 EUR, and saved the transport pass 'til after the cruise. While it does not cover the entire 5 zone journey, it did cover 3 zones. (Civitavecchia is only barely out of the 3 Zones). So, I bought a small supplemental ticket to ensure I would not get fined and was able to travel back to Rome from Civ. using my transport ticket + that supplement. And I continued using the Transport Ticket (called a BTR) until it expired at midnight of the 3rd day. Using the BTR, we went to Bracciano, the Castelli Romani and also had all our transport in Rome covered.

For accurate schedules, go to www.trenitalia.com

My family of four took the train from Rome to Civitavecchia and it was easy and cheap. The only thing that must be taken into consideration is that there are stairs at the Civitavecchia station that you will need to drag your luggage down and then up them. Since we were four, my DH and DS did the carrying while my DD and myself stayed with the luggage at each end. Other than that we had no issues with taking the train. It actually was pleasant. We did take a taxi to the ship for 20 Euros. Post-cruise we went back to Rome with the train again, but we walked from the port entrance (after taking the shuttle) to the train station. It was a short walk, and definitely do-able as long as your luggage is on wheels. This is definitely the most economical way to do it!

Somebody mentioned that the cabs were hard to get going from the train station to the port. Has anybody else had experience with that? Is it really 20 euros?

Yes. Nasty cab drivers. We bargained ours down to 15 euros by threatening to walk.

We will walk next time!

Steve.

Port buses had a big sign in their window saying which ship they went to. Our driver put our 2 big bags in the outside storage bins and we just took our carry-on(s) on the bus with us. I really don't remember if we did anything with the stored bags ourselves when we got to the ship...I don't think so.

The train is definitely the way to go. Very little hassle, really, and an over-all pleasant experience. (I LIKE trains!) And I can think of a multitude of ways to spend the money saved.

Very little hassle, really, and an over-all pleasant experience.

My wife has trouble navigating steps so I consider 40 steps down and 40 steps up a great hassle; and I consider moving our luggage down and up those steps not pleasant at all. Is there any way around the steps, except praying we get on the right train and that it actually stops at the exit with no steps?

We are in our 60's and DH did the stairs with our 2 large bags. Down...then up. I dealt with the two carry-ons. Alright, alright, he did the tough part!

At least this happened after sitting on a train for an hour or so and not at the end of a long, exhausting day.

The trains from Civi to Rome never seem to leave from the first platform. We have done it 5 or 6 times and always had to go down the steps and up again, so it is a nuisance if carrying a lot of luggage - we view this as the price to be paid for the financial saving. There is no elevator (the stationmaster told me once, when I was pushing a wheelchair, that it was not a problem as there would be one when we got to Termini !!!).

Also be aware that strikes do happen. Last Saturday we arrived at the station as normal to find only one express train at 9.20am running, with the next not until 1pm. Fortunately we were in time for the 9.20 but had we been 10 minutes later at the station we would have ended up paying (no doubt) way over the odds for a taxi. I am certainly not saying don't take the train, as I said we have done so several times without any problems and will definitely do so again, but make sure to have enough time in your schedule to cover delays. We were leaving the ship that day but day visitors on other ships had the terrible decision whether to go into Rome and risk not getting back, or skip the visit altogether.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived