rome to civitavecchia port transportation?

If the train do I understand that once we disembark there will be a shuttle to take? Where will this shuttle take us and how do we get to the train station?

The shuttle bus will take you out of the port; it will be parked close to the ship and goes to the port entrance/exit.

From there, turn right (with the port behind you) and it's a 10 -15 minute flat walk along the street that follows the shoreline. This site describes it quite well: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

E-mail Stefano at romecabs@yahoo.com. Just tell him how many people you will have in your group & he will reply promptly with a quote. Also, feel free to ask him any questions you might have. Once you have confirmed a booking, he will provide you with his cell phone number so that after you're in Rome he'll only be a phone call away. Stefano has absolutely the best service available. Enjoy!!!!!!!

I too, have used Stefano at RomeCabs for both pre and post Rome hotel stays...our drivers were Little Marco and Big Marco. Both were great. Prices included full day tours and were well worth the money.

Madmarti - We looked into booking a hotel in Rome for a May 2009 Post-cruise stay through Princess. Not only was it going be OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive but Princess was going to charge extra for transfers from the port. We ended up booking our own hotel at the Rome airport for 1/4 the amount Princess was charging. We did purchase the Princess transfers.

Thank you GSP lover. I have looked at that schedule. So, the first train from Rome will reach CIVI at 6:51. Does that mean that if I am coming off the ship, I can catch the 6:51 a.m. train back to Rome? My real question is when I get off the ship, will there be one of those shuttle busses available at that time to take me out of the port (I understand we can't walk out on our own) so I have a chance at catching that 6:51 train back to Rome!! Thank you for your help. Diane:)

If you can roll your luggage that far, you will be able to get a free shuttle bus at the port entrance that takes you directly to the pier. .

Hank

Hank=

We will be going this route in sept, but our cruise line (celebrity) says there will NOT be a shuttle from the port entrance to the pier. Who operates the free shuttle?

thanks

Elaine & Joe

Thank you GSP lover. I have looked at that schedule. So, the first train from Rome will reach CIVI at 6:51. Does that mean that if I am coming off the ship, I can catch the 6:51 a.m. train back to Rome? My real question is when I get off the ship, will there be one of those shuttle busses available at that time to take me out of the port (I understand we can't walk out on our own) so I have a chance at catching that 6:51 train back to Rome!! Thank you for your help. Diane:)

Go back to the link that you were on. Click on the image link on the bottom of the page that takes you back to the menu. There, click on the link from Civitavecchia to Rome.

The train I mentioned continues going north and does not return to Rome. On the schedule I directed you to above (http://www.ftroute.com/IT_CIV_ROM.cfm) you will see the first train from Civitavecchia to Rome is at 04:55. There are many more to choose from.

Thanks again: That link is even better. My question is, even though the trains start running at 4:55 a.m., do the shuttles from the ship(pier) to the port entrance also start running that early? If not, can you walk off the ship to the train station (or must you wait for one of those shuttles). You are very patient!!:D

The Port Authority does not allow anybody to walk to/from the port entrance of the port to the ships. It is quite a distance and there is a lot of traffic. When we were there, we got off the ship (with luggage) and hopped on a shuttle right away. We were on an 8am train for Florence.

How soon you can get off the ship depends upon the cruise line and Italian Customs and Immigration.

Agreement Trenitatila Trambus open: special price

From May 2008, thanks to an agreement between Trambus Open and Trenitalia, you can buy train tickets in Civitavecchia a special price (€ 22) the train ticket Rome-Civitavecchia (trip) and the ticket line tourist "110 Open "(The bus red double-decker carrying out tour of the Roman center). it is not possible to purchase the ticket on line but you can get it in civitavecchia as soon as you get there. Thanks for chooosing Trambus Open.

Has anyone had experience with the above? It seems like a very good option!

We really enjoyed the "Hop-On...Hop-Off" bus.For those who haven't been to Rome,it gives a great overview of the city.

When you exit at the station in Rome...walk straight ahead and a little to your right and you'll see the buses ahead.If you need tickets, there was a kiosk ..on the left...about 1/2 way to the buses.(you see the kiosk from the back).

That new 'combo"ticket sounds great !!

Enjoy...

Sharon

Somebody mentioned that the cabs were hard to get going from the train station to the port. Has anybody else had experience with that? Is it really 20 euros?

Yes, I've heard it's alarmingly expensive for a short (3-4 blocks) ride. As in any city, those taxi drivers are a business, and they don't like doing the short-distance rides.

Somebody mentioned that the cabs were hard to get going from the train station to the port. Has anybody else had experience with that? Is it really 20 euros?

This is a real problem in Livorno, but not a biggie in Civitavecchia. You can simply take the free port shuttle bus (its a nice bus) to the port entrance and than its an easy 4 block walk to the train station. If you really do want a taxi, the drivers will probably just laugh, but you could make them take you serious by offering 20 Euros (probably not enough) for a 1 mile taxi ride. On or most recent visit (May 2) we tried to talk a taxi driver into taking us to Europcar (which is perhaps 1 or 2 blocks further distance than the train station) since we had a lot of luggage. One of the drivers at first offered to do the trip for 20 Euros, but once he realized I was serious he said no. I guess he did not want to miss-out on the possiblity of getting a fare to the airport or Rome.

Regarding the other post asking about the "free shuttle" this is a very nice bus that is operated by the port authority. Some of the cruise lines do not want you to even know the bus exists, because they would prefer to sell you an overpriced tour. The reason they offer this free bus (it used to not be the case) is due to the increased security at the port. They simply do not want folks walking through the port (we used to walk from the ship to the train station).

Hank

Hank

We joined the Celebrity Galaxy in Civi a few years ago and it was docked in the closest dock to the port gate, only a couple of minutes walk to the fort. We arrived by taxi that time so I am not sure whether shuttles were serving it or not, but if it is due to dock in that place again that might be a good reason why Celebrity say there is no shuttle. Otherwise they might just be trying to sell you a tour !

• 1 month later...
Do I understand correctly that there is a combined ticket? Can you purchase them before you go, or just the train portion beforehand?

Once off your ship, the Cruise Authority provides a shuttle bus to drive you off of pier property and to the street. It's a short walk to the Trenitalia.

Quote from Italy Trambus Open, "From May 2008, thanks to an agreement between Trambus Open and Trenitalia, you can buy train tickets in Civitavecchia a special price (€ 22) the train ticket Rome-Civitavecchia (trip) and the ticket line tourist "110 Open "(The bus red double-decker carrying out tour of the Roman center). it is not possible to purchase the ticket on line but you can get it in Civitavecchia as soon as you get there. "

Do I understand correctly that there is a combined ticket? Can you purchase them before you go, or just the train portion beforehand?

There is a combined "BIRG" ticket that you can purchase at the Civitavecchia train station (I do not think its available in advance). This ticket (it costs 9 Euros) covers round-trip trains from Civitavecchia to Rome (this does not include the high speed limited trains which only run a few times a day) and also gives you unlimited use of the Rome subway system and public buses (except for the hop on hop off bus). When one considers that the cruise lines charge $50 - $80 for a round trip bus (does not include any Rome transportation) its a pretty good deal. And the bonus is that the Port of Rome provides a nice freeshuttle bus service from pier to the port entrance where its about a 4-5 block walk to the train station.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be arriving in Civitavecchia on the Summit on Oct. 8th. Is it pretty easy to get tickets at the station in the morning? I would think with all the large cruise ships in Port, it could get pretty crowded. I understand most people probably take the ship excursions - but there must still be quite a few interested in this option.

Is availability a concern - either direction?

Thanks,

Mike

Archived