Bug Spray

kiberkid

When we do 'city' tours in the islands, are there enough of little critters around that we want to spray or is it pretty good?

I know in the Caribbean we only spray if we are going thru the rain forest, but not a normal 'city' tour. Is it the same in French Polynesia?

I am mosquito bait and didn't have a problem being in town . At night I would use bug spray, even in Papeete (and in hotel dining rooms that are partially open), but not during the day.

thanks for the info. I am bug bait as well. I am sure they can smell me a mile off & call in their army!!!

Been there several times--never had a problem--although it was recommended on a excursion on Tahiti--out of town area--

never a problem--on Bora Bora etc.

But---I don't usually have problems with insects etc.

Nancy:D

thanks for the info. I am bug bait as well. I am sure they can smell me a mile off & call in their army!!!

I spoke with my dermatologist yesterday to see what he suggested - it is some lemon eucalyptus oil. tol dhim that I usually use Deep Woods Off with Deet - he said that was fine too (I was worried about long term exposure, bue he said it was fine, if stinky!). So that's what we used and there wasn't a mosquito in the place that made a try for me. I'd rather be stinky and bug free.

Nancy - you're lucky! those little *ahem* darlings track me down no matter where I am - just glad I haven't contracted Nile Virus yet!

I've got sensitive skin, and allergies, so I can't use anything that's harsh on the skin like DEET, or that smells. Bugs do tend to love me. Anyone have any good suggestions? (We'll be there in December, when I'm guess the bugs will be at their worst.)

Thanks!

Stacy

We were there last July and had no problems with bugs. The only place we encountered a few was when we walked up into the vanilla plantation on Ta'haa looking for vanilla flowers. Other than that 30 minutes we had no insect issues to speak of!

I'd seen stuff starting coming out with picaridin listed as an active ingredient, but hadn't talked with anyone about it. It's always a major concern of mine to have the slather Deet all over myself, but the bites are worse as I'm very allergic to them. Just as effective, you say? The smell doesn't bother me, per se, but I'm always willing to try something else that might not be so harsh on my skin - what brand do you use?

There's a local remedy. It's one of the ubiquitous bottles of monoi oil on sale everywhere, but this variant is a bug repellant. I do not know what the active ingredient is. I used it once when I was on a 4x4 trip in the jungly part of Moorea, and it worked really well. Probably available anywhere there is a display of these oils for sale, just ask.

That being said, the above-mentioned type of excursion will most likely be the *only* time you need protection--I've never bothered carrying it, but I know other people do. Once in a while on a motu apparently there can be sand fleas of some kind--again, I've never encountered them.

I have VERY fair and VERY sensitive skin. For instance, a boo-boo cut will take about 8 months before you cannot see it!

I had a skin reacation to one of Vaseline's body products, for Pete's sake!!!

Anyway, I got some of the new Cutter Advanced Insect Repellant with Picaridin. I have used it for several weeks, almost daily (you are most welcome for being your guinea pig, folks!!), and had no reactions whatsoever. I also got the fragrance-free type.

I sprayed (non-aresol) and rubbed it all over my arms, legs, feet, and face, even! I have to get it about 3 inches above where my clothes end because the little pesties bite me through my clothing if they can smell my skin!!!!

I found that our local Walgreens has their own copy formula of deet free Cutter. I have not had cause to use it yet but it has the same strength of Picaradin at 7%. They also carried small 1oz cutter advanced pump spray bottles. Good luck keeping those nasty buggers away.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post the same questions. Thanks to all. I feel informed now!

I saw a morning talk show the other day. There was a Doctor of Dermatology on, talking about the effectiveness of sun screen plus bug spray. She said if you put bug spray on top of suncreen it reduces the effectivement of the sun screen by 50%. So I was going to ask if we needed bug spray during the day, when we we were also using sun tan lotion. Also the doctor said that mosquitos bite people with low cholesterol. That is why some are bitten and some are not. I don't know how the mosquito can tell prior to taking a bite, but that's what she said. My cholesterol is low and I am the bug magnet. My husband has high cholerterol (taking medication), and he is not bitten, if I am around him. So, who knows? Bug bies and bee stings make me swell up also.

Thanks for the information.

I was going to post the same questions. Thanks to all. I feel informed now!

I saw a morning talk show the other day. There was a Doctor of Dermatology on, talking about the effectiveness of sun screen plus bug spray. She said if you put bug spray on top of suncreen it reduces the effectivement of the sun screen by 50%. So I was going to ask if we needed bug spray during the day, when we we were also using sun tan lotion..

So now I am wondering about the sunscreen that also has bug spray in it.. 2 in 1... I wonder how effective that is.

Also the doctor said that mosquitos bite people with low cholesterol. That is why some are bitten and some are not. I don't know how the mosquito can tell prior to taking a bite, but that's what she said. My cholesterol is low and I am the bug magnet. My husband has high cholerterol (taking medication), and he is not bitten, if I am around him. So, who knows? Bug bies and bee stings make me swell up also.

Thanks for the information.

Same here. My husband has high cholesterol & on medication & the bugs stay far away.... but me..holy cow.... I wonder if it is an odor that the bugs can detect..... I'm gonna tell him he stinks and scares the bugs away...that's my story & I'm sticking to it.....:D

Archived