Getting a Suit Made in Bangkok

jrcooper

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to get a suit made while in Bangkok and how long it takes? My husband wants to get a suit and possibly a tux made while we are there.

We will be in Bangkok for a precruise stay in April 2009. I am trying to decide how long we need to stay to get this done. Right now we have three days before we board the ship, but I am thinking about adding on one more day in order to allow a little more time to get the suits made. What do you think?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

jan

My husband and I had work suits made, in 24 hours. we went in the AM, returned in the evening, and then they brought them to our ship the following morning. it was more of an experience than it was a good fit. when we got home, they really didnt fit well. could have been the place we went to -- don't recall if it was recommended by the ship (Seabourn) or not; i think it was, but SB usually makes good recommendations. The price was less than a ready made work suit at Neiman's, but not as good a fit as i get off the rack. so do your homework and find a place that someone recommends. there are 10 stores every block. (ours was near the nice shopping mall) I heard the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong makes great suits so if you'll be in HK, try that.

You are correct about the Peninsuila. I had a tuxedo made at one of the shops there and shirts made at another shop.

To the original poster we also were in Bangkok earlier this year on a world cruise. I would ask at your hotel for a recommendation.

If you are in Hong Kong I would recommend that. We only had an overnight in Hong Kong but I was able to get my shirts the following morning. In terms of the Tuxedo, I went for one fitting (if I would have ordered it earlier I would have had two fittings). The tuxedo was ready about a week after we ordered it but since we weren't going to be home for a while we had them send it to us about a week after we got home. There were many places who could have had the tuxedo made the next day though. Like anything else quality varies. I know some people who had problems with the way it fit at the end. I had no problems. Tuxedo and the shirts fit wonderful.

Keith

Shangri-la sent us to Tom's International Collection which was quite a busy place. Great material (ask to see the good stuff), one fitting, then sent back when they brought them to the hotel and then sent back again. By then we had to leave. I never loved the fit and I took them to my tailor who worked on them to make them fit better. His assessment was great material but not great tailoring. I am used to well made suits and foolishly expected the same. Not so--poor quality facings, insides, stitching, etc., the kind of quality I never would have accepted at home. The suits as adjusted are fine for work and I don't wear a jacket most of the time anyway but if you want a good suit, buy it at home where you can take it back if it isn't right. I promise you that if you are expecting Zegna quality workmanship, you won't be getting it. If you buy suits at Sears, knock yourself out.

When in Bangkok, we always stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel, and I usually ask the concierge for the latest recommendations. I have had suits made and have been generally pleased with the quality of material and tailoring. My wife has also had clothing made in Bangkok. I apologize that I do not remember the name of the tailor (I think it might be "World Limited" or something like that); however, this clothing shop is withing walking distance of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and is also recommended by one of our travel agencies (Abercrombie and Kent). Please be certain that you allow enough time for at least 2 fittings before you accept the finished product. Can you get a good deal? Maybe, however, I find that you generally get what you pay for; therefore, do not be mislead necessarily by a very low price. Also, most of the more reputable firms will come to your hotel for the necessary fittings. Enjoy your stay in Bangkok. The Thai people are friendly and gracious, and we always enjoy going to that part of the world.

Archived