Best Beach in Mykonos and How to get there?

Hey Everyone ,

Im a DIY person and was wondering which is the best beach in Mykonos , to just relax , eat great seafood and snorkle maybe. Obv i would like to avoid the nude beaches so no Paradise beach for me. Is Platis Gialos Beach one of the better ones? Also please lemme know the most economical but tedious way to get there. We are docked 7am to 7pm there. I'm planning to give the Delos a miss and be a beach bum:D

The buses to the beaches are very easy to do. Walk around the port to your right toward the few remaining windmills. Up the hill a few blocks is the bus station. Paradise and Super Paradise is where you find the nude bathers. Platis Gialos is very nice and has many facilities. Being in port that long, you can do other things besides the beach. There are many good restaurants along the waterfront facing the windmills.

I think the "nude" beach stuff is overstated. Topless sun bathing is quite accepted in most of Europe, but the reality is that not that many drop their tops. If you want to walk around beaches with binoculars you might spot a few, but its just not a big deal. I would venture a wild guess that most days at Paradise would find more than 95% covered-up, and we have never seen any bottomless at that beach. Paradise does have decent facilities, and its also relatively easy to get to the place on the local buses. There are two bus stations in Mykonos town, and you need to go to the one furthest from where the ships berth. The bus station is pretty close to the windmills. We do not remember any worthwhile snorkeling on the island but perhaps somebody on this board has found a good place.

Hank

Thanks ,

Btws i just emailed a request to scuba dive in Paradise beach. I am not a certified diver , but did dive twice in cayman with an instructor. Ditto in mykonos , just waiting for confirmation.

If you want a very easy and very economical solution, you can walk to the local beach (Agios Stephanos) near where the ship is berthed, which is only about a 10 minute stroll. As you walk out of the dock area, go up the big hill on your left, then back down (all on the paved road), and you are there. It's a very nice beach, with lounge chairs under thatched umbrellas for 4 Euros. FYI-some topless sunbathers here, but not the majority. More of a family beach. We were ther with our two teenage children, and there were no embarrassing moments.

http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/mykonos-beaches/mykonos-agios-stefanos.htm

Have fun!

Paradise Beach is really beautiful. There is a section all the way to the right for nude bathing. I was there two weeks ago and saw just a few topless women. It certainly is NOT the nude beach it was on my prior trip. That time I felt over dressed. The resturants are good and it truly is easy to get to eith by bus or taxi

The advantage that Plais Gialos, Paradise, Super Paradise & all the other beaches along the south coast offer is that are out of the wind, if it's blowing. The meltemi is a fierce wind that can blow from the north during the summer, and when it's up it can greatly affect a beach. Even the east coast beaches can be affected. But the south coast beaches are much less affected.

I think that these days you won't find much overt nudity on any of these beaches - that reputation goes back to the days when Paradise & Super Paradise were much less developed than they are now. I imagine the really keen nudists will have moved on to beaches further along the south coast to the east; they'll be less developed, harder to get to, and thus offer more privacy.

I suspect that Paradise & Super Paradise perhaps attract more young people than Gialos. I also think that there is more likely to be music on those beaches. Platis Gialos is pretty and really is family-oriented (though it can get pretty busy). We went there on the bus for €1.20 each last summer, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Paradise beach was a very beautiful beach, but it was very windy. That said, I welcomed the breeze as it was warm.

Beware that the buses get very full and if you do not get on, you wait awhile for another bus to come. We were told the bus would arrive in 10 minutes. Not true. We waited 40 minutes and even thought we were the first to arrive we got pushed back to the rear and just made it on. 2 of our group did not make it on though and had to wait for another bus. We all missed the last shuttle and paniced for awhile till a cab arrived to take us back to the ship. We just made it as the ship departed 15 minutes later (we gave ourselves 1 1/2 hrs.). So leave yourself plenty of time for the bus. Also hhen you get off the bus you have to walk into town and then walk to the shuttle.

Having been to all three - Paradise & Super Paradise are definitely the more lively beaches. Paradise has music playing with the tunes getting louder and louder as the day progresses. They do have a good cafeteria right on the beach, facilities and several bars/restaurants.

Platis Gialos is also pretty, but more sedate - lots of hotels/guest houses near the beach. We enjoyed the cafe at the most northern end of the beach, I think called Nikos. Many of the restaurants will give you free beach chairs/umbrellas for the day if you eat there. Its also closer to town with more regular buses and taxis.

Archived