Costa maya?

I'm going to Costay Maya on the Jan 10, 2009 sailing. Have never been there or to Belize (not my first choice but this is the only cruise we could fit in). How are these two ports? And how is the Grandeur???? Not much said about it that I could find. I've been on the Enchantment. How does it compare?

I'm going to Costay Maya on the Jan 10, 2009 sailing. Have never been there or to Belize (not my first choice but this is the only cruise we could fit in). How are these two ports? And how is the Grandeur???? Not much said about it that I could find. I've been on the Enchantment. How does it compare?

I have not been on the Grandeur. However, I loved Belize and Costa Maya. I think Costa Maya was my favorite port.

I, on the other hand, didn't like Costa Maya at all. (To let you know where I'm coming from, I've traveled overland through Mexico numerous times, but have never had the urge to stay at an all-inclusive, or to visit Diamonds International or Senor Frog's.) To me, CM is just a not-very-attractive mall carved out of the jungle. The nearby town was pleasantly funky when I was there, but I have no idea what's left post-hurricane. If I hadn't gone on David and Ivan's Chaccoben tour, I would have been bored out of my skull by CM's ersatz "atmosphere."

Different strokes.

For those sailing to Costa Maya...don't just stop at the pier. Walk thru the shops to the far side and catch a taxi to Mahajual (sp?.) Its is a very short ride. Hopefully, the little town is still intact after the hurricane. The beach there is just beautiful. The nicest I have ever been to. Felt like we were in a Corona commercial. We sat under a thatched roof hut and had beers and chips and salsa...played in the lovely shallow blue green water...it was paradise. The locals did try to sell their wares but weren't too pushy. It was a lovely day!

Deb

Chachoben was excellent--not sure that will be available at this time. Also did a snorkel tour once--water was quite rough.. I like the little village--a nice place to unwind... Hope Costa Maya comes back big time!

For those sailing to Costa Maya...don't just stop at the pier. Walk thru the shops to the far side and catch a taxi to Mahajual (sp?.) Its is a very short ride. Hopefully, the little town is still intact after the hurricane. The beach there is just beautiful. The nicest I have ever been to. Felt like we were in a Corona commercial. We sat under a thatched roof hut and had beers and chips and salsa...played in the lovely shallow blue green water...it was paradise. The locals did try to sell their wares but weren't too pushy. It was a lovely day!

Deb

I totally agree!!! It is a beautiful, unspoiled area. My husband and I loved it, and can't wait to go back.:)

I totally agree!!! It is a beautiful, unspoiled area. My husband and I loved it, and can't wait to go back.:)

We agree.

Costa Maya is one of our favorite ports. I hope the village is not too different as we loved it. No jewelry stores!! Just great chairs and tables near the water with drinks and food brought to you.Also great beach massages.

Deb

We also love Costa Maya.... I think sometimes people just go to the square with the shops and pool and bars. The village can be reached via taxi and it is like the old caribean. The beach is lined with tables/chairs and loungers. There is service for food and drink at your table and it is very cheap. I hope they are able to put it all back together again... def. want to return

I loved the town as well; Old Mexico and we thought it was fabulous - we spent no time at the pier and some people think that is all Costa Maya is. We are scheduled to go back in December and it will be interesting to see what has happened. The town was completely destroyed with the hurricane, so I doubt the old world charm remains. The people probably had to move on to find a living.

I truly mourned for CM when the hurricane went thru there. The beach there stands out above any beaches on our cruises...including St. Maarten and St. Thomas. The sand (no rocks) and the shallow entry to the incredible water (warm even in December) was just magnificent. I can see if one simply walked to the dockside shops why they would be disappointed in Costa Maya, but that little beachside town stands out as one of my favorite cruise memories. We even had a man stop and serenade us on his guitar...lovely and pleasant not aggravating at all (believe me, I used to live in San Antonio and got my fill of the marichis.) It was just a magical day.

Deb

Archived