Cell phones in port

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but here goes - -

Will our cell phones work in our Western Caribbean ports of call? If they do, no doubt they would be roaming. Our calling plan includes free roaming, but would this (international roaming?) be included? I could check w/my provider, but figured all you experienced cruisers out there would probably know this as well.

Reason being, we're going w/my 2 sisters and husbands, but we're each going to do our own thing in ports and would like to have a way to hook up at some point.

TIA for your responses.

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but here goes - -

Will our cell phones work in our Western Caribbean ports of call? If they do, no doubt they would be roaming. Our calling plan includes free roaming, but would this (international roaming?) be included? I could check w/my provider, but figured all you experienced cruisers out there would probably know this as well.

Reason being, we're going w/my 2 sisters and husbands, but we're each going to do our own thing in ports and would like to have a way to hook up at some point.

TIA for your responses.

Without knowing who your cell phone carrier is, really can't say, but best bet will be to call them and ask. :D

Please make certain that you have your cell phone turned off while onboard the ship (unless using it and knowing what fees you will be incurring).... or you will have a helluva bill if a call is recieved and even if going to voice mail because you will be using the ships tower... There have been horror stores of HUGE cell phone bills from many on the boards who got surprised ! !

We take walkie talkies to keep in touch on the ship and in port. We have Verizon and the only free place we have is in San Juan. Have heard the roaming charges are horrible very high. Have heard horror stories of bills over $600 when they didn't talk, turn your phone off on the cruise.

For what your needing, walkies are probably the way to go.

We don't use them. But there have been a number of threads about what to look for when purchasing them.

Some ships have them for rent for the week. However, it seems like the rental is almost like buying them in the first place.

Charlie

We've got Nextel/Sprint...you have to activate international calling on your phone and the price per minute depends on which port you are in. Grand Cayman and Jamaica were $1.99 per minute and Cozumel was .99 per minute. Do not leave them on while you're on the ship. First of all it goes to digital roam (free on our phone but not on all services) and it runs the battery down quickly PLUS I accidentally left it on and received a sales call at 4:15 a.m. one morning! :eek:

I keep my phone on most of the cruise.

We have A T & T and it works on several ships even when at sea.

My family knows only to call for emergency.

I call them when in US port such as San Juan or USVI.

Never went over $20 if that. You can check on line with carrier to see what ships it works on as well as Islands and cost per min.

Aloha

The cell phone you presently own must be either GSM, GPRS or CDMA equipped, and have the capability to change networks. If your cell phone doesn't have those things, it won't work outside the US. Your regular cell phone may work in St Thomas and San Juan, but not anywhere else.

Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are possessions of the USA. Most nationwide cellphone plans include them in the plan. Beware of using your cellphone for voice or messaging on ship as you will be using the ship's cell tower and it can get very expensive. You will incur an international roaming charge.

Remember that when you use your cell phone, you do not have a choice as to the cell tower that it will connect. If you are near land, you may connect to a cell tower onshore instead of the ship. I used my cell phone on a business trip to the Detroit area once and was billed for an international call. A cell tower in Canada picked up my call. I had to pay it.

Walkie talkies (FRS/GMRS) are nice. They are approved for use in the USA and on board ships that cater to USA citizens. Each country has its own rules about the use of two way radios according to international treaty. Not all nations approve of the use of FRS/GMRS two way radios and using them can land you into conflict with the local police! Generally in the Caribbean they are tolerated but in most European countries, it can be a serious crime to use one.

AT&T uses a digital coding called GMRS while Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. The two are not compatable. Most of the rest of the world uses GMRS. If you have a Verizon or Sprint phone it may not work. AT&T phones will work if they have the proper band frequency - some do and some do not. Check with your carrier.

I have T-Mobile. I recently used my phone in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten to call my mom. My phone showed AT&T on the screen, and sometimes Suncom. I just got my cell phone bill from when we were on the cruise, and there was no extra charge for anything. Like someone else said, I think the phone has to be equipped to pick up other carriers.

We take walkie talkies to keep in touch on the ship and in port. We have Verizon and the only free place we have is in San Juan. Have heard the roaming charges are horrible very high. Have heard horror stories of bills over $600 when they didn't talk, turn your phone off on the cruise.

I'm confused by this. What's the difference if it's on or off, as long as no one answers the phone? Either way, the voicemail still picks up... :confused: :confused:

That is for phones such as the iPhone, that will continue scanning networks in order to download your email. I know someone who went on a cruise in Europe, didn't turn off his iPhone, and when he got home, his bill was over $2000, because of this automatic scanning. Now, iPhone gives users the option of turning off this feature, without turning off the phone.

That is for phones such as the iPhone, that will continue scanning networks in order to download your email. I know someone who went on a cruise in Europe, didn't turn off his iPhone, and when he got home, his bill was over $2000, because of this automatic scanning. Now, iPhone gives users the option of turning off this feature, without turning off the phone.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification :D

Archived